Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2005, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
16 gallon bow reef wall biotype - dialup beware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well gang, the time has finally come. I'm going to get this tank up and running and show pix to prove it. It will be a work in progress. Feel free to comment, and offer suggestions.

Here it is in its historical glory:

All cleaned up and ready to start. Starboard will be going down first:

It is a bow front so the starboard had to be cut accordingly:

And in the tank:

Old 12/10/2005, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Ready for some mechanicals. The pump on the right is my SEIO and the pump on the left is the Coralife Super Skimmer 65 pump, and left of the skimmer is the Stealth 50w heater:

Close up of my modded SEIO mounting 'bracket' ....my rare earth magnets:

Here's the skimmer, the SEIO and the Coralife MH HQI tank mount w/ 150w 20K DE bulb (I also bought the Pheonix 14K, just in case):

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

As you know I modded the CSS 65 also. Here's a shot of the mod at a distance and up clsoe:

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

By now you're all probably saying what's this old man got up his sleeve. Where is he gonna fit a sheer rock wall in that tank, it's tiny!

Here's a few shots of the framework starting. First pic is just a shot of the raw material I used to begin the foundation, basic light diffuser from HD:

Here's a front shot of the light diffuser getting started, incomplete, front view:

Unfinished diffuser from the side. Notice the discharge of the SEIO is open in front (cut out grids):

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:17 AM
Moved On

why all the egg crate
Old 12/10/2005, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the diffuser (framework) completed. Front view with tank lights only on:

Same angle with flash:

Side view:

So now can you see the reef wall developing? Come on, I know someone here has to have an imagination.
Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

The moment of truth. Removing all the equipment and getting ready to rock and roll:

Getting closer, lights are off, skimmer is removed, SEIO is missing in action:

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Getting ready. Donna would kill me without preparation. Tarp, towels (lots of them), LR with ph & heater, dremel, cable ties and my bad back .

The puzzle pieces all laid out:

Couldn't wait till I was done, had to test it to see if it was coming along as expected. I wasn't overly pleased with what I saw:

Same unfinished, angled shot:

This is taking time mind you. My LR is sitting out for hours now. I'm not even sure if I have LR anymore or pretty base rock.

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

The wall just about complete, but not in tank. I'm crossing my fingers and saying some prayers that this puppy will fit.

Here's the reef wall finished, with flash on (I don't like the tank pic with flash) = yuck

Reef wall with 20K MH:

Side shot of reef wall. Bow tanks take pix from the side with double images. Examine the pic and you'll see what I mean:

Starting to look a bit better to me now. It was a rough 7 - 8 hours doing it. My back wasn't cooperating and then to have the intermittent pix look the way they did, I was tempted to throw in the towel (all of them).

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

Well here it is, finally!!!!! You wanted water:

And after 5 minutes, my Coralife Super Skimmer 65 was doing its job:

Now to wait for the minor cycle. The majority of these rocks were curing for 6 - 8 weeks. There was another 7 or 8 lbs I just got that was uncured. So I know I'll have a minor cycle. Plus what died from being out of the water for 7 or 8 hours today has to cure now too.

Hopefully there is still some life in there. I'll be testing and anxious to start loading it up.

BTW, I am planning on a shallow sand bed, only about 2" or so. Just for looks.

Well there you have it folks. A long time in coming.

Russ feeling very much like the old man tonight!

Take care all, see you about noon tomorrow, when I roll out of bed.

Thanks for reading and looking at my monstrosity.
Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

i love the idea but imo more shelfs are is in order, also where are you keeping all the equipment?? under the tank ?
Old 12/10/2005, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

I must say that is a great idea and it looks really awesome. Did you use epoxy to attach the live rock to the light diffuser? What is your stocking plan for this tank? I'll be following this thread to see how your tank turns out.
Old 12/10/2005, 08:42 AM
Team RC Member

Dang! That rockwork is sweet! I may have to try that.
Old 12/10/2005, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Why did you put starboard down if you are going to have a sand bed?

The rock wall will look sweet with corals on it. Are you going to put any rocks in the middle of the tank...like an island?
Old 12/10/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

brainiac
i love the idea but imo more shelfs are is in order, also where are you keeping all the equipment?? under the tank ?

Thank you. The pictures are a little deceiving, there are a lot of shelves and 'mounting platforms' in there. That was the plan. Too many shelves worried me about shadows and loss of light below them. The equipment is very basic. It's just a 16 gal. nano. All I'm running currently is my HOT CSS 65 skimmer, SEIO 620 ph, Stealth 50w heater and my Coralife HQI 150w MH tank mount light. Everything is behind the rock wall.

Nanomaniac I must say that is a great idea and it looks really awesome. Did you use epoxy to attach the live rock to the light diffuser? What is your stocking plan for this tank? I'll be following this thread to see how your tank turns out.

Thank you Nanomaniac. I decided I wanted to drive myself crazy. I hand picked every piece of LR in that setup. It took me months to pick it and get the plans right in my head. About 65% - 70% of the rock is drilled with a dremel and a 1/8" bit. Just big enough to fit the tiny cable ties through. So in answer to your question, no epoxy, all cable ties.

Stocking plan for the tank is going to be a pretty good amount of SPS on the wall and only about 2 fish. One of my thoughts is for a dwarf lion - Fu Manchu. I also was thinking about a dwarf flatfish like a Peacock Flounder. These are just ideas at the moment, so they are subject to change.

Andrew, thanks for the kind words.

cj_basser Why did you put starboard down if you are going to have a sand bed?

cj, I want to put a dwarf flounder in there. They dwell in the sand. In case it 'bottoms' out, I don't want to see the 'tempered glass stick' or the top side of the stand.

The rock wall will look sweet with corals on it. Are you going to put any rocks in the middle of the tank...like an island?

Thanks. I'm hoping the coral fill in some of the gaps. There are a few. No island plans. I left the middle open so that the flounder, if that's the route I go, will have swimming room. With the wall the way it is, there is plenty of room for coral mounting. An island could happen if I decide that the flounder is not the best idea. But probably not. I kind of like the 'clean' look.

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 01:25 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
awesome. love the idea. i love tanks that step away from the ordinary. my next tank i'm going to try and do something crazy with the rocks...i see PVC frames and a 1/2" hole drill bit in my future.

anyway, looks great, can't wait to see it stocked.
Old 12/10/2005, 01:27 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
BTW, what are the dimensions of the 16g bow? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the tank and stand?
Old 12/10/2005, 02:39 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

cool! i've seen something very very similar done in a LFS store tank. but they didn't fill in the gaps near as well as you did.

any idea on what type of corals you are gonna do? i think you'll have a hard time doing any sps as they will grow into eachother and block the light to lower corals.

the store tank i mention did mostly all shrooms/rics/zoos b/c i think it was a 24g nanocube with PC lights. inhabitants were a very cool red frogfish, and a peaderson shrimp.

cant wait to see updates!

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/10/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

phenom5, thanks for the kind words. Away from the ordinary.....outside the box, go for it. And when you do, make sure you link me to it. I like to see that eclectic style in reefs.

The 16 bow front dimesions are 20" x 9-1/16" (on the ends) x 17-3/4" tall. The dimension at the center of the bow is 12-3/4".

As for price, I got it from someone who bought it and never used it. As you can see, it still had the stickers on it. So what I paid would be of no use to anyone. Wasn't close to retail.

HTH,
Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

surfnvb7, thank you. I will be doing a good amount of SPS, that's why I went with the MH. We have a good size club that I belong to, and most people don't shy away from frags.

That frogfish idea has been a consideration too. I am going to continue looking into that as well.

Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I have never heard of a dwarf flounder........do you have any links to websites where i migth be able to find some info and a pic about them?

Anglers are awsome....probably owuld do well in that tank, too. Feeding them is so awsome.
Old 12/10/2005, 03:38 PM
cubed

Fantastic job Russ. I really like it. You mentioned you'd probably go through a mini cycle. I suspect that having had those rocks out of the water for 7-8 hours, it'll be a bit more than mini. Don't try and rush that part.
Old 12/10/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Sugar. No rush here. LOL I bought the tank in June I think. Been accumulating LR for 3 months. I'm actually one who gets laughed at by club members for taking so long. It took me a little over a year from buying my 75 to finally getting water into it. But it was a year before that just researching it.

I just don't want to meet my maker before I finish this and some other projects I've got planned.

Thanks again,
Russ
Old 12/10/2005, 04:16 PM
Now give me a dollar!

Russ,

This looks great. Can't wait to see it in 6 months.

I agree with sugar about the effects of the long dry spell for the rocks.

Carl
Old 12/10/2005, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Carl. I totally agree with you and Sugar. Was great though. Last night, after lights out, I already saw plenty of pods and I saw an interesting crab. Couldn't identify it though. Looks exactly like a Mithrax (emerald) crab. However, it was red. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking he's not reef safe.

cj_basser
I have never heard of a dwarf flounder........do you have any links to websites where i migth be able to find some info and a pic about them?

Three spot flounder is dwarf. My mistake on the peacock. That is a peacock sole. Another great and beautiful fish. This was all in an article by Scott Michael in Aquarium Fish Monthly, October, 2005 (page 29). Hope this helps.

Russ