Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2005, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Angry 7 Gal tank Question? Important

OK, I have a 7 gal fish only tank at my work. I have 2 percula clowns living in it and a small bio filter and 1 power compact light setup to light the tank. I have noticed lately that every 3 days I need to clean the tank due to a VERY agressive RED color algae building up in the water. I have had this tank set up for over a year now and NEVER had this problem until recently. SO I give it water 1/2 tank changes once a week and still the red comes back.

WHATS MY PROBLEM

I don't over feed and and I clean it as indicated???

PLEASE HELP
BTW fish are healthy and not showing any problems
Old 11/26/2005, 06:21 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Have you changed the bulb lately? PC lights tend to shift in color toward red, which algaes prefer.

Get a phosphate and nitrate reading as well.
Old 11/26/2005, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Can you describe the "red algae" a little better? Is it like a cotton ball or more flat and maybe stringy? Does it "break' apart if you touch it?

When someone says they have a red algae most of the time it is actually Cyanobacteria, not an algae at all. Do a search here on RC for "removal of cyanobacteria" and all your questions should be answered.

If however the "red algae" is more like a cotton ball it is more than likely Asparagopsis taxiformis. A nasty little algae that spreads very rapidly covering just about everything. The good news is the Mexican Turbo Snail makes quick work of this algae.