Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2005, 04:44 PM
The Buff Reefer

Lightbulb Come Watch my New 29-Gallon Setup

Okay, so that was just a little something to get your appetite wet. About 1 month ago, I bought a used 29-gallon acrylic tank from Eben (here on ReefCentral). I had been looking to do a 29-gallon tank for a few months, and this turned out to be a perfect opportunity. I was looking at glass tank, and when this became available, I was very excited. The main reason I was so excited is because I was looking to drill the tank for a closed-loop and acrylic is so much easier.

Well, what I ended up with was a 29-gallon acrylic tank with a built-in overflow, 10-gallon sump, Mag-7 going through a SCWD for the return, and an Iwaki MD40 going through an Oceans Motions Super Squirt for a closed-loop.

Here are a few pictures. The plumbing is close to done, but not done yet. I filled the tank with water for about a week and ran the tank/sump/return with no problems. I just kept the ball valves closed for the closed-loop. I will receive my Oceans Motions Super Squirt sometime this week, and will finish the closed-loop plumbing (I can't test the closed-loop until I shut down my existing 20-Long because the Iwaki pump is being used on that tank).

Let me know what you guys think...

Full-Length of the tank from the left:

Left Side of Tank:

Right Side of Tank:

Here's my durso, modified to fit in a VERY tight overflow:

The back of the tank (two sump returns on top, two closed-loop inlets in middle, and two closed-loop returns on bottom):

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as I finish with the Oceans Motions Super Squirt, the Iwaki CL Pump, and moving my old 20-Long into this new tank.

I look forward to your questions and comments.

-Scott
Old 11/21/2005, 04:45 PM
The Buff Reefer

Sump (from the back):

Left side of Sump:

Right side of Sump:

Here is how I mounted the fan:

The whole sump including Mag7 return:

And one last one:

Okay, one last one while the camera was out:
Old 11/21/2005, 04:54 PM
The Buff Reefer

My first question to you guys... Should I go bare-bottom or with sand? I currently have sand, and love it, but I'm worried there may be a problem with the closed-loop returns coming up through sand. What do you think?

-Scott
Old 11/21/2005, 07:41 PM
The Buff Reefer

Okay, come on... 30 people have seen this and not one comment? What's up?
Old 11/21/2005, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

okay if you insist, nice tank

Hey maybe nobody wants to start up the BB/DSB thing again

whats the pump sitting on?
How do the grey couplings work, do they allow an easy disconnect of the pump
Old 11/21/2005, 08:02 PM
The Buff Reefer

Don't worry, I'm not starting the DSB versus BB thing. I guess my real question is, do you think the PVC Closed-Loop coming out of the sand will blow the sand around?

As for the other questions, the pump is sitting on 4 1" sections of 1" ID tubing. I just cut them and screwed them to the base of the Mag7... instant vibration reduction. I also needed the pump to be elevated slightly to accept the input from the sump.

As for the "grey couplings", I assume you're talking about the unions. I can only say that I would NEVER built a tank without both ball valves and unions. There are currently 12 unions and 9 ball valves on my tank. There will be 6 more unions and at least 2 more ball valves. The ball valve and union combination allow me to disconnect the pump in a matter of seconds. I can close the ball valves and disconnect the unions, ensuring that the water will not leak out of the tank while I replace or clean the pump.

-Scott
Old 11/21/2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

do you trust that mag drive on an external application?

I've heard that they aren't that great at staying watertight where the impeller housing meets the pump body.

Can anyone else comment on that?
Old 11/21/2005, 09:38 PM
The Buff Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by kiowascout
do you trust that mag drive on an external application?

I've heard that they aren't that great at staying watertight where the impeller housing meets the pump body.

Can anyone else comment on that?
Thanks for the info, kiowascout... I've never heard of that, but I don't know much about Mag pumps. I could certainly change the pump...

Anybody else know of this Mag problem?

-Scott
Old 11/21/2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

as long as you go with a shallow sand bed you shouldnt any problems with the sand being blown around. Looks like a good setup. good luck with it.
Old 11/21/2005, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Hihi,

Nice setup with great potential!

Care to post more pics of your modified durso? I too, have an awfully small overflow and I'm wrecking my brains on how to do the durso!

Thanks!
Old 11/21/2005, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

NICE JOB Scott!!

Dude..you are making me wish I had the tank back LOL...

I vote barebottom, but you know my preferences..haha, I think you should be fine with the Mag 7, just make sure you use plenty of teflon tape on the threads.

I also think you should take off the loc line on the bottom back outlets and make it them fire in opposition to the returns on the bottom sand...that way you will get cyclical conterclockwise (when viewed from the left) water flow..it will be very linear and great for uniform flow = happy SPS..

Just make sure the rocks are stacked loosely so flow isn't impeded.

Here is a link to the tank I was in the process of setting up: make sure you check out the last page for current pics!
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=67000
Old 11/22/2005, 04:49 PM
The Buff Reefer

Tank looks sweet, Eben... can't wait to see it in a few months.

-Scott
Old 11/22/2005, 04:52 PM
The Buff Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by cityofangels
Hihi,

Nice setup with great potential!

Care to post more pics of your modified durso? I too, have an awfully small overflow and I'm wrecking my brains on how to do the durso!

Thanks!
I'll try to take a few pictures tonight... it is fairly simple, though. Basically, I use two 45° PVC pieces connected together to simply "move" the entire length of the durso over an inch or two.

I guess it isn't that simple to explain... I'll take some pictures tonight.

-Scott
Old 11/22/2005, 04:53 PM
The Buff Reefer

Good news (well, for me at least)... Super Squirt should be delivered today, so I can finish up the plumbing by this weekend and start the water flowing shortly.

-Scott
Old 11/23/2005, 01:28 PM
The Buff Reefer

Okay, so I wasn't able to take any pictures of the modified durso last night (sorry cityofangels) because I was busy plumbing my Super Squirt!!! That's right, the Super Squirt came in, and I was able to get it set up pretty much how I want it to.

Here is how I set it up... If you're looking at the pictures above, the two outlets in the front of the tank (drilled through the bottom) will fire together, then the two in the back (near the bottom). Repeat. What do you guys think?

I'm going back and forth between using the locline in the back and simply using 45° black pvc fittings. I must say, 3/4" locline doesn't fit very well in a 12" wide tank, but I like the idea of being able to move the flow every once in a while. Thoughts?

How about the OM SS pattern? Do you guys think that sounds good? At first, I thought about having them fire one at a time going around the tank in a circle, but I would be restricting the flow too much. The Iwaki MD 40 RLXT has a 1" input and 1" output. I have 2 1" bulkheads feeding the pump (they are combined into a single 1" pipe before the inlet) and a 1" pipe feeding the Super Squirt. Now, after the water leaves the SS in 1" pipes, it is reduced to 3/4" before entering the tank. So, essentially, I have a 2" inlet and 1.5" outlet from the Iwaki.

I'm starting to ramble... I'm bored at work. Guys, please comment and ask questions. I don't feel like working today. Thanks.

-Scott
Old 11/23/2005, 01:30 PM
The Buff Reefer

Don't you hate when you're the only person posting in your own thread?
Old 11/23/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I like it! It's beyond my scope of understanding, but nonetheless, I like it.
Old 11/23/2005, 03:38 PM
The Buff Reefer

Thanks, coogarts...
Old 11/23/2005, 03:47 PM
DIY Guru

Looks good Scott! Thanks for the link! I'd keep the loc-lines because when you get rock in there, the lines will give you the ability to get the flow through the rocks and then still be able to direct it.

Strange how are setups are so much alike... I'm going to be adding the fuge probably some time next month, I'm just waiting on some drawings to make sure it's going to work for me before I have it built.

Member of the 1000 watt bulb club
Old 11/23/2005, 04:24 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
It seems that unless your setup is 180 gallons or larger that most people don't want to respond. I have been building a 77 gallon for several months and I am only up to the 2nd page on my thread.

But back to your setup. Looks good so far. I am using an OM Squirt as well but am going with 4 outputs at different times. That said I think the bi-outputs in a 29 gallon will be perfect.

Good luck and I'll keep my eye on the thread.

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 11/23/2005, 04:41 PM
The Buff Reefer

Hey, thanks Keith... I appreciate the feedback. I also agree that if the tank isn't a "Large Tank" that you won't get the same response.

Do you have a link to your setup? I'd love to see it...

-Scott
Old 11/23/2005, 04:49 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Click on my little red house, next to my name

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 11/23/2005, 05:33 PM
The Buff Reefer

I knew your quote sounded familiar... I have read through your thread a few times. I actually stumbled upon it a few weeks ago when I was trying to research automatic top-off systems.

Sorry I didn't post... I thought about it, then I got distracted by the link to the ATO thread.

-Scott
Old 11/23/2005, 05:51 PM
Team RC Member

Scott, even though my tank DWARFS yours (mine's 30 gallons ) I'd like to follow your progress; I like what you've done so far.

As far as your question about the Mag pumps, I'm running my CL/SCWD with a Mag 12 that's sitting on a shelf in my cabinet (dry), and even though my system has only been running for about 3 months, I'm very happy with this pump. There have been no leaks and it hasn't heated up a bit despite running continuously.

Since you're interested in links to smaller tank setup threads, here's mine.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=709062
Old 11/23/2005, 05:55 PM
Will work 4 corals

I like to see any setups take place. I find I have learned from people doing all kinds of sizes. Stile2 is one of the few people that have found my thread as well.

I vote for a thin layer of sand. It looks like the spray nozzles are high enough and pointing upward so I don't think it would be a problem. I personally just don't like the look of a BB.

So shoot me!