Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2005, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Room mates for SPS?

Hey guys, i want to eventually have an sps tank with a few lps and some soft if they are compatible. Any suggestions on species to start out with so i don't have to deconstruct my tank to add acros. My tank is not huge, but my goal is to have 1 of each of porites, seraitopora, pociliopora, montipora, stylophora, and a few various acroporas. The bioload is probably throught the roof already but is there anything that i can start the tank out with that i won't have to remove when i get some more sensitive sps? Something that will compliment them, or improve water conditions?
Old 09/30/2005, 08:30 PM
Finally at 500!

Blastomussa would be nice.
Old 09/30/2005, 10:35 PM
San Francisco Skyline

Location: Pacifica, California. (15 Miles South of San Francisco)
I think Sps are sensitive to leathers.
Old 09/30/2005, 10:41 PM
Ooops

Watch out for Euphyllia - they grow, sweep and kill.
Old 10/01/2005, 02:33 AM
Aptasia Assassin

i remember bringing up the sacrophyton question to the rep from liquid life (cyclopeeze people) when he mentioned that they might actually help SPS. He said that they actually might help because of some bacterial presence or something like that. I really cant remember.

Basically for me what ever i can keep that likes high light like the SPS do well. Some that caused me problems were a galaxy coral and hydrophora that can sting from far away. My euphyllia I have blowing in the corner of my tank don't cause a problem because they cant reach, but they can lay out long polyps to sting. After a while my euphyllia and my nepthia finally made friends and stopped fighting and live really close to each other. I hope this helps

Joey
Old 10/01/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

I have always thought zoanthids go great with an SPS tank. They add a great deal of color and will not hurt the SPS. They wil just grow around the base of the colony. Tridacna clams are great additions to SPS tanks as well. I few ricordea on the sand bed look great as well.
Old 10/01/2005, 10:50 AM
Calvinist

zoos can sting sps.. but if placed well, are nice...

ricordia is nice..
if placed corectly.. frogspawn and brains of differeing types are nice