Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2005, 10:03 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Pics of my 240 cube SPS reef.

The camera just can't capture the true colors and depth that this rockscaping and coral selection truly represent.
This tank is 48" deep from side to side and front to back. The camera just can't capture depth of field. Again, I am sorry for the poor pics but I tried.
I've tried to make this as natural looking as possible with trenches, pillars, overhangs, and caves,with corals glued on the sides, under overhangs, and other places you would really have to 'look' in order to see them. Well, until they all grow out of course. I've done my best to mix colors and shapes, as well as place corals with thoughts on how they will grow out or mix with each other. I've also taken into consideration lighting and flow requirements as best I can. I'm sure I've got some things too close together, but I like the over lap.
I'm proud to say that this reef is 100% small aquacultured colonies and frags, absolutely no wild harvested corals. All of the aquacultured stock has come from www.midwestreefs.com, http://www.wesleyreefs.com , and Aquariums Wholesale ( our best LFS here in KC!). Many frags are from my good friends here in town and a few very nice guys here on RC.
Oh yeah, I built the stand too.

Last edited by sonofgaladriel; 08/29/2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08/29/2005, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

beautiful
Old 08/29/2005, 10:11 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Your tank looks amazing....definitely need more specs and pictures!
Old 08/29/2005, 10:13 PM
Catch and release

Wow! That's a beauty

Very nice tank and stand........what's in it is pretty good lookin too. It's gonna look outstanding in about a year
Old 08/29/2005, 10:13 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Thank you very much! You can get all the specs and more pics here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=571308
Old 08/29/2005, 10:16 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Thanks fishdoc11! Yep, I'm hoping in a year or so these will really have grown into the reef I've imagined at this point. I'm pretty excited that I've actually got hyacinthus frags encrusting and growing! They will look very nice sprouting out over the overhangs and open water areas. Now, if I can just NOT do something stupid!
Old 08/29/2005, 10:21 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Forgot one of my favorites. I just brought home this 1 1/2" chunk of the Superman!!!
Old 08/29/2005, 10:29 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Now, if I can just NOT do something stupid!
Tell me about it
Old 08/30/2005, 12:55 AM

I'll just sum up my opinion with some letters... TOTM !! Wow... can I come over? my tank needs to fill in some... I've got no idea what you're talking about... One Q: is that the Oregon tort? The color is stunning.
Old 08/30/2005, 01:02 AM
Moved On

Tank of the month..
Old 08/30/2005, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Nice tank, How long has it been set up?
Dave
Old 08/30/2005, 07:33 AM
I need a bigger tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
I'll just sum up my opinion with some letters... TOTM !! Wow... can I come over? my tank needs to fill in some... I've got no idea what you're talking about... One Q: is that the Oregon tort? The color is stunning.
Thank you very much. Although I'll admit that a future TOTM would be a dream come true as I've been in awe of the many here on RC and have used them as an inspiration, but the honor is certainly way too premature at this point for this tank. I haven't earned it yet. In a few years, if I don't screw things up, maybe it will be worthy.
The large tort is the Oregon tort. I also have 2 nice frags of the Cali tort and 5 frags (broke a colony by accident) of the ORA tort. Lots of blue torts in here.
This tank has been set up since April, but all the live rock and water came from my 4 year old 180 gallon that I replaced this with.
Old 08/30/2005, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Very nice indeed.
Old 08/30/2005, 07:37 AM
Anemone Addict

Old 08/30/2005, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Very nice!
Old 08/30/2005, 10:45 AM
RC Mod

The tank is looking awesome!!! I can't wait to see it after one year.
Old 08/30/2005, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Very nice tank and set up. The corals color is awsome.
Old 08/30/2005, 01:11 PM
SPS Freak

Man that is a ton of frags lol. About how far is each frag from each other? I have about 30 or so sps in my tank and I'm feeling like I can't add anymore because they will grow into each other.

How did you do yours spacewise?
Old 08/30/2005, 01:33 PM
I need a bigger tank!

I have most of the frags spaced anywhere from 3" to 5" apart at this time and they are all facing at different angles so that growth will not immediately move into its neighbor's area.
The aquacultured colonies are between 4" and 6" apart, again with angles and orientation to encourage growth into open areas.
I think this is plenty of room at this point, plus, I really did want these growing close together eventually. I can always move something if need be down the road.
As I said earlier, I've tried to take into consideration the mature shape these corals will grow into when placing them next to each other. I've place stags in between table forming corals so they can most likely grow up and over them; tables above and below each other staggered to allow for plenty of light and horizontal space, and I've placed many frags and colonies on the very edges of the rockscape to encourage outward growth before upward growth. Now I know that some of this growth conjecture may be wishful thinking, but I did spend alot of time looking for mature pics of each particular species and tried to place them accordingly, yet also take into consideration their lighting and flow needs.
This cube was a dream to create flow for. I've got 8200 gph going through it at all times, via the return and two seperate closed loops consisting of an OM 4 way and an OM 8 way, so flow really isn't an issue, everything in here gets hit with great random flow patterns. There are four returns hidden in the front rock pillars that come up through the bottom of the tank.
More of this can be seen in my other thread on the Large tank forum.
Thanks again everyone for the compliments!
Old 08/30/2005, 02:27 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

Wow! And Double WOW on the stand work! I'd have to agree I see TOTM in your future.
Old 08/30/2005, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I definitely think if I ever do a mega large tank again, I'll do a cube. I have one now (92 gal) and besides the small amount of space underneath, it's great. I think increasing the size as you did really gives you a lot to play with. Hope it all grows well!
Old 08/30/2005, 02:53 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Here's another pic showing my pendants. Currently with 2 250 watt DE 14K Phoenix's and 2 AB 10K's. The 10K's are above the back of the tank nearest the wall.
Old 08/30/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

good lord
Old 08/30/2005, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Simply amazing! That tank is awesome!

Good work!
Old 08/30/2005, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

looking amazing for the short time it has been up! so how much top off are you dumping in that thing a day?