Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2005, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Sump Decision, Refugium Live Rock or Macro?

I have a dilemma on my hands. I have been researching reef aquariums for about 2 months and for my birthday my wife bought me a 29 gallon aquarium and a 20L for a sump. (I was actually looking at a 20L and 15 for sump, so she let me have the upgrade ;o) The problem is the stand that I have is going to expose both the 29 and 20L. This tank will be in the living room so the 20L sump will have to look decent.

I have already decided the refuguim will be on the full front of the sump. The skimmer and everything else will remain in the back as hidden as possible.

To get to my question:
I was originally planning on have a bunch of macro algae in my refugium, but now with it being exposed I was thinking of making it just a smaller aquarium with a deeper sand bend and full of live rock, this will house no fish because I want pods to live down there, but it will obviously have snails, etc.

Would there be any negative side effects with scratching the macro for more LR and LS?

(To be noted this section will be lit opposite the schedule of the display tank to help balance everything)

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08/19/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

In my opinion, you could do both. It wouldn't hurt to have some macor growing in there (in fact it would help), and just keep it trimmed so it doesn't get overrun. Think of it as a planted tank. That is what I do, however mine is all hidden, so looks don't matter as much. (I have a 29 under my 75)
Also, you can probably just keep it lit 24hrs a day, but that is probably just a preference sort of thing.
Old 08/19/2005, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Is the 12 hour light period only for corals? I was unaware that I could keep it lit 24 hours. I'm new so I'm still learning.

I might run both and just keep trimming. How often would I have to trim this if I ran my lights on 12 or 14 hour cycle? (Days, weeks, months?)
Old 08/19/2005, 04:48 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

yeah I run lights on my fuge 24/7. I definately recommend using macro for the nutrient export. It will be more interesting than you think looking at a tank full of macro. sometime I watch my fuge more than my display!
Old 08/19/2005, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

If you had a 20L (30x12x12) and you could partition it anyway you wanted (assuming the Refugium would be in the front) how would you do it. I have not bought anything but the tanks so my sizes can vary depending on the configuration of the sump. My plan is to put in 2 x 100 watt heaters and a Mag 5 for a return. The skimmer will either be a diy or a bakpak 2 RR.

The current chicken-scratch configuration is divide it in half the long way for the ref. (30x6x10) (LxWxH) Then split the back in half 2 x (15x6x10)

Would this be too big or small for the ref. or the return area?
Old 08/19/2005, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

The refugium as was mentioned earlier can be as much fun to watch as the display. I keep a Mandarin and a small rectangle trigger in mine - along with live rock and a bunch of macro - mostly chaeto. It is great for nutrient export - as long as you harvest the algae. I light it with those flourescents that use about 19w but put out about 60 watts.

Craig