Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2005, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Green Bubbles on rocks??

Earlier last week, with the help of this forum and Melev's ident page I was able to identify the white shiny bubbles I had, covered in burgundy algae as being that awful cyano. I've been working away at removing what I can, and keeping track of water params...

Today I've noticed similar bubbles of a green colour (not shiny clear like the others) on one of my rocks, and these are not covered in algae of any kind. Unlike those under the cyano, which seem to be spread out here and there, these are in more of a cluster....

Do I have a new worry to contend with???
Old 08/15/2005, 04:15 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

sounds like bubble algae, take the rock out of the water, and twist them off, but don't break the bubble.
Old 08/15/2005, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Yes, you're right. I found a picture again on Melevsreef...it's Valonia I'd say. Right now they are very tiny...not confident I could remove them without breaking them and causing more problems. Melev mentions some fish will eat them...any ideas which fish eat Valonia???
Old 08/15/2005, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Also wondering now... first the cyano, and now within say, 4 days, the Valonia. Is this typical? My water params have been good all along (just a little low in the calcium department...)

The tank is just going on 9 months old. Is this just part of its growth, or is it something I am doing? Too much lighting?? (haven't got much of that really...65W each of white and actinic...) Not enough flow?? Between the filter and the powerheads I've got a total of 580 gph in a 40g tank. I've been careful not to overfeed, as well...
Old 08/15/2005, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

well since you had cyano, and now bubble algae, i think your main problems is excess phosphates. if you dont have a refugium,adding one would be your best bet. there isnt a single downside to having one, all positives.

excess phosphates can come from tap water if your not using RO/DI, and your feeding habits.

HTH's a bit

Jay D
Old 08/15/2005, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

in the meantime u should try manual removal, the bubbles are a lot harder than u think. just twist them off with your finger u should break any that way
Old 08/15/2005, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I'll have a go at it then. Thanks you guys!!