Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2005, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

purple coraline algae

I have live rock and would like it to look like some of yours on this site. How can i get it to flourish with purple and bright green algae's as fast as possible. Any chemicles, procedures, or methods to grow coraline super fast. Thanks
Old 06/27/2005, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes Kent marine makes a reef starter pack! Also there a chemical called Purple Up and i use that and it works great
Old 06/27/2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Bigalow - just add about 6 months of patience and you will have all the purple you need and probably even some you don't.

Please do not fall into this trap of wanting things to happen overnight. Nothing in this hobby happens fast except bad things. You need lots of paitence or you will do much more harm then good. Don't waste your money on Purple Up or any other product for that matter. They don't work. Plus, you never want to add any chemicals you don't need. Coralline will happen on its own, you just have to wait for it.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 06/27/2005, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

What type of lighting are you using. I think I heard somewhere that coraline will only flourish in the shaded areas of a tank with MH lighting. In tanks with VHOs, it will grow everywhere. Right?
Old 06/27/2005, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

6 months of patientce is soooooo true. I had my alk, mag, calc in line ever since I finished my cycle and didn't get much growth. Then all of a sudden just after the 6 month mark BOOM. Be careful what you wish for. Alk, mag, and calc. are critical. They must be in line. It also seems to like lower intensity lighting. Growth has slowed since adding 400w MHs.
Old 06/27/2005, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

I'm still waiting for mine to take off. I'm about to hit that 6 month mark with the 90.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 06/27/2005, 05:04 PM
10 & Over Club

I found that when I was dosing B-Ionic on a regular basis, my coralline algae really grew. Green is most of the time the first coralline algae to grow and the last is the deep purple and red. It is fun to watch it grow.
Old 06/27/2005, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

light

I am starting a new 240 and getting 240lbs of live rock and will probably be using a 72" 3x400watt metal halids with 4x96watt power compacts for a total of about 1500 watts.
Old 06/27/2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by North Bay 101
I found that when I was dosing B-Ionic on a regular basis, my coraline algae really grew. Green is most of the time the first corallne algae to grow and the last is the deep purple and red. It is fun to watch it grow.
I have seen several references to green coraline algae. Is this picture green coraline? Its has to be scraped off (not that I'm trying to clean it, I like the color). I also have some small spots of pinkish coraline growing as well and I know that is coraline. I just haven't had the experience to see the green version. The water is stirred up in this pic as I had just finished cleaning the glass.

Old 06/27/2005, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

my 65 is full of coraline and I've never seen it green.
it starts out on glass as pink spots than turns deep purple I have some orange spots

the pic I see looks like micro algae
I get that too but the snails devore it
Old 06/27/2005, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

kalkwasser
Old 06/27/2005, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Keep your calcium level up and lights on 10 to 12 hours