Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Fish list

I have created a fish list for my 110 gallon tank any comments would be appreciated.
4 Carpenter's flashers
pair of percula clown
Yasha Hase Shrimp Goby
Gold Neon Goby
Coral Beauty
Yellow tang
Flame angel
I figure it is about 42 inches of fish

Anythnig that you would recomend to take away or add would be helpful.
Old 06/07/2005, 10:44 PM
Max Reefer

List looks fine from a 'fish' stand point save for two different types of angels; and here are some things to consider. Those wrasses are jumpers in my experience so be carful (but I am wrasse curesed so who knows), the Yasha are really beautiful (I have one btw) but don't expect to see him out in the open much (forget the shrimp if you get a pair, I never see mine), the coral beauty and flame angel may or may not be reef safe so there is a chance it will be a hazard - they will also fight (angels).
Old 06/07/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Maxxumless.I was thinking of scrapping the Flame. Anything that I should add? It would be a reef tank. I know that stony corals are a problem because of the angel but thats fine.
Do you know if the yellow tang will be ok in a reef tank?
Old 06/07/2005, 11:08 PM
Max Reefer

The only problem I had with my yellow tang was it nipping at my clams so I had to move them to another tank. Other than that he's been fine. You might want to think about a swallow tail angel (full sized angel). They are completely reef safe, but they are not the most colorful of the family.
Old 06/07/2005, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

The swallowtail is a nice looking fish. I like the shape of the angels so the color is not that important. Thanks
Old 06/08/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxxumless
List looks fine from a 'fish' stand point save for two different types of angels; and here are some things to consider. Those wrasses are jumpers in my experience so be carful (but I am wrasse curesed so who knows), the Yasha are really beautiful (I have one btw) but don't expect to see him out in the open much (forget the shrimp if you get a pair, I never see mine), the coral beauty and flame angel may or may not be reef safe so there is a chance it will be a hazard - they will also fight (angels).
i 2nd the jumping wrasse theory and i have never had problems with the coral beauty nipping corals but they are all different so you never know.
Old 06/08/2005, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Every fish has different personality even same fish's behavior changes. I have a Hippo tang for 2 years, after 1 year, it suddenly started to nip at my acropora millena and it continues for 6 months. Now it has stopped again for 6 months.
Old 06/08/2005, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. Does anyone think that there is a reef safe fish that is a must have that is not on my list.

4 Carpenter's flashers????(not sure)
pair of percula clown
Yasha Hase Shrimp Goby
Gold Neon Goby
Coral Beauty
Yellow tang

I figure it is about 38 inches of fish
Old 06/08/2005, 10:55 PM
Max Reefer

I’m partial to my Swallowtail Angel – nope, looks like you have a pretty good list. Just make sure you only get one male wrasse though. And if you change your mind on the percula and want a different clown stay away from the maroon (too aggressive) and the tomato clowns (damn messy diggers).
Old 06/09/2005, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

get a salfin tank