Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/03/2005, 11:06 PM
I play with water

Georgia scores pair of whale Sharks

I'm sure the Atlanta locals probably already saw this on the evening news, but a friend just emailed me the link and I thought some of the out of area folks might enjoy seeing the beginnings of what's looking to be a first rate facility

The Georgia Aquarium (scheduled to open November this year) has just taken possession of 2 juvenile whale sharks.

Both animals braved a 16 hour flight from Taiwan aboard a major cargo carrier before being released into their new home. According to aquarium officials, Georgia will be the first North American facility to display these unique animals.

http://11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=64055

As for the aquarium itself, Georgia is being very tight lip'd about releasing info on what will or will not be on the lineup when doors open, but my sources are telling me to expect somewhere around 5 million gallons and a live coral exhibit that's lit (at least to some extent) by natural sunlight.

This is definitely going ot be a "must see" aquarium when it finally opens.

Brett
Old 06/03/2005, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

How the heck do they transport a 15 ft and 13 ft whale shark on an airplane? I know it's a 747, but still. Are their holding tanks large enough for the whales to turn or are they sedated to a point where they don't move. Plus all that water sloshing around in the tank has to mess with the weight distribution of the plane.

I'm more impressed with them transporting something that big than the actual sharks.
Old 06/04/2005, 12:16 AM
(-(-_(-_-)_-)-)

amazing
Old 06/04/2005, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WayneL333
How the heck do they transport a 15 ft and 13 ft whale shark on an airplane? I know it's a 747, but still. Are their holding tanks large enough for the whales to turn or are they sedated to a point where they don't move. Plus all that water sloshing around in the tank has to mess with the weight distribution of the plane.

I'm more impressed with them transporting something that big than the actual sharks.
Me too! I was just recently thinking about how there used to be a Sea World in Ohio...that's pretty far from the coastlines. I live in northeast PA, and it takes nearly 7 hours to drive straight across this state alone, not counting the other 2 hours to get through Jersey, and then however far into Ohio the place was.

I'd really like to see this aquarium when it opens. Maybe one day I'll come into a lot of money. Cross your fingers for me?
Old 06/04/2005, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

They make large holding tanks inside the plane with transparent aluminum....Well actually they traded the formula for transparent aluminum for large acrylic sheets.
Old 06/04/2005, 01:47 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

My first thought is that they should have left them in the ocean.
Old 06/04/2005, 09:34 AM
Seamonkey on my back

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
My first thought is that they should have left them in the ocean.

mine too.

Rick
Old 06/04/2005, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
They make large holding tanks inside the plane with transparent aluminum
LOL...I think Captain Kirk and Dr. Spok are the only ones who have access to transparent aluminum.
Old 06/04/2005, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what's involved in getting the water to behave when it's airborne, but loading a 15-foot animal into a 747 isn't that big a stretch. The cargo holds on them are massive, at least 16' wide and over 240' long.
Old 06/04/2005, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

wouldnt the poor things keep smashing in to the side of the tank when there is turbulance

that building Gorgia aquarium looks like something off the jetsons
I like it !!