Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Question What is this? Pic included

Can anyone tell me what this might be? I know the image isnt that great, but he is a fast mover! The area is whitish in color and raised....I thought maybe ick, but the more read about it the more I think it may be something else. HELP!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...angel_fish.JPG
Old 05/16/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Another pic

Here is another pic I was able to get....maybe it will be a bit more helpful

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...gel_fish_2.JPG
Old 05/16/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Anyone?????
Old 05/16/2005, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Well.... we think its ich. the lfs told me to use two products. 1 IF I catch him(not happening) and 2 is Chem-Marin Stop Parasites. Has anyone used this product, it says reef safe. Does anyone have personal knowledge they would like to share..
Old 05/16/2005, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

adnup,
I think you have what I have, and I think its ich, but I'm not sure. So far, I've lost an emperor angel, flame angel, puffer (this fish), and I have a trigger about to go. Been using copper treatment without success.
I too would appreciate any input as to what this fish has. Hope the picture works.

Old 05/17/2005, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

adnup,

Given the underwhelming amount of advice so far, I took this picture to the LFS guy. He said it did not appear to be oodinium, said it may be a bacterial infection, and suggested treatment with ampicillan.

Don't know if he's right or not, but its something.

Carl
Old 05/17/2005, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input.....at least you got an answer somewhere!!!
Old 05/17/2005, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Adnup,

For what it's worth coming from a newbie: we also have a Coral Beauty that has similar light spots on/around his head. I'm not sure of your entire situation with your angel but ours is in quarantine getting over ick. When he actually had the ick, he had white spots (different than the lightness now on his head) and was rubbing against a tube. We dropped the salinity and it appears to have resolved the ick issue. He is no longer itching and is acting like his normal self. The only change is now his head is lighter in color in some spots and it appears to be turning orange where it was once purple.

I'm not sure if this helps you at all but thought I would at least respond to your posting. We were able to get excellent advice in treating the ick outbreak and since our angel is still in reduced salinity and no longer with the obvious spots, I'm inclined to think this is not related to ick but I'm new to this hobby and by no means an expert.
Old 05/17/2005, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey there, what is he doing? Is he eating? Is he rubbing at all? Is there a chance you could get a better photo? It maybe Lateral line diesease, which is usually not fatal in a healthy fish, but poor or bad water quality could have a serious impact on how this progresses. What are you feeding him? What is your water cheimstry?
Old 05/18/2005, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

He is not eating too well (but he is new to the tank) He is not rubbing against anything....no chance if better photo...he is too fast!! My water quality is great and I try to feed a mixture of flakes, frozen and pellets. Plus we have a alot of algae for him to pick on on the powerheads and other places. I did notice also some little spots (just a few) on his fins...I know thats a sure sign of ick
Old 05/18/2005, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

better pic I was able to get

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ngelfish_1.JPG
Old 05/18/2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

one more pic I got

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ngelfish_2.JPG
Old 05/18/2005, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Old 05/18/2005, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Well It looks like it could be ich to me. First things first. Don't listen to those LFS. You are setting your self up for disapointment, dead fish and a horrible tank. I made that mistake when I first started. Any one that tells you to dump some chemical in your tank doesnt know what they are doing. LFS are in business to keep fish alive for a day to a week long enough to sell them. Were all here at reef central are here to keep our fish alive for years and years. If your fish has ich I would recommend doing "hypo "treatment. You can find it all over this site. There is the Ich master him self "ATJ" is his user id. Checkout his homepage. He has saved my fishes life and I know half of the other peoples on here. Remember there is going to be a few bump and you will pull your hair out along the way. Just stick to the advise of the users on here and learn from there mistakes. If you need any help just ask!

Kevin
Old 05/18/2005, 06:03 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

This pics are fuzzy, but I thinks it's Lymphocystis.

Are the white "spots" Tufty? Like cauliflower?
See these links...
http://www.fishdisease.net/fd/diseas....php?img_id=63
http://www.fishbase.org/Diseases/Dis...cfm?discode=61
http://www.fishbase.org/Diseases/Dis....cfm?discode=4
Old 05/18/2005, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Its so hard to tell whether it could be Lymphocystis or ick....the fish has little spots on the fins which look like ick but the spots on the head seem large to be ick....I have been treating the tank with the chem marin stop parasites....I cant get the fish out of the tank so QTing is out of the question and I have a reef set up so this is supposed to be safe. Will the stop parasites work on Lymphocystis also???
Old 05/18/2005, 07:02 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

In all honesty, nothing will cure Lympho.

It's a viral infection and, like Herpes, they will have it for life. But with good water quality, excellent diet and the occasional immuno booster (such as betaglucan or even garlic), they can suppress the outbreaks. Suppress, not Cure.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Well.....it appears that he has some more small white specks on his fins and body....so could it be that Im just REAL LUCKY...and he has both Lympho and ick??? Hes not rubbing against anything and is swimming around fine. Also my other fish dont have any signs of it either. Ugghhh Im at my wits end....I just lost a clown to (I think) Brook. He was fine for weeks then started laying on the bottom breathing rapidly..but with no other signs of distress...no spots or marks on him. So the LFS told me to do a freshwater dip with 1 gallon of water and 3 drops of Quick cure with formalin...but it didnt work and he died a little while ago...I dipped my other clown also because they recomended to...I hope he makes it!!! Oh god..what a week!!