Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2005, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Any laws against smoking outside yet???

I tell ya, I just can't get away from these smokers around here. I think at least once a day my car get's hit with a cigarrette being launched out of the window of the moron's car in front of me. Or walking in and out of buildings with them all in front getting their fixes. Or try enjoying a meal as the nasty smell of smoke floats around the restaurant. Now, I have new neighbors behind me who smoke. Unfortunately, our patios are adjacent (and are only separated by a privacy fence) and they feel the need to come outside to smoke, and that smoke comes right into my house when I want to have my patio door open to get some fresh air...NOT. I mean if they want to smoke keep the nasty stuff in their own house and car, the rest of us shouldn't have to deal with their nasty, pathetic habit.

Ahhh, I vented, I feel better now...

Last edited by criccio; 05/15/2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05/15/2005, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

blasted non-smokers...j/k

75g Tank
15g Refugium
Mag 9.5 Return
Euroreef ES5-3 Protein Skimmer
T5 lights
Seio Super Flow Pump M1100
Seio Super Flow Pump M620
Old 05/15/2005, 08:46 PM
Moved In

Good luck on that one! That would suck for sure. Of course Dan's a butt sucker, so I'm doomed anyway.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 05/15/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

I really hate smoking!
Old 05/15/2005, 08:48 PM
Moved In

I used to sit with a woman at school functions that must have smoked a pack on her way there. She smelled worse than an ashtray. Funniest part was she was always chewing gum to hide her breath. I finally had to tell her.

Old 05/15/2005, 10:13 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Of course Dan's a butt sucker
ummmm...ahhhh....nah nevermind
Old 05/15/2005, 10:23 PM
Medieval French Monkey

You could always move.
Old 05/15/2005, 10:24 PM
Moved In

I'm in too deep!

Old 05/15/2005, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Any laws against smoking outside yet???

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
I think at least once a day my car get's hit with a cigarrette being launched out of the window of the moron's car in front of me.

I tell ya what will really tick you off is when it happens when you are riding your motorcycle. It has happened to me a few times.
Old 05/15/2005, 10:32 PM
Medieval French Monkey

I didn't mean you, Debi!
Old 05/15/2005, 11:08 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Quote:
She smelled worse than an ashtray. Funniest part was she was always chewing gum to hide her breath. I finally had to tell her.
LOL...

My sister smokes and chews gum and it doesn't make sense. Doesn't help the smell of her HAIR, her CLOTHES, or her KIDS (yep, they smell like ashtrays).

I had a friend who quit smoking and she said to me afterwards that she appreciated me sticking by her because she hadn't realized how bad she smelled until she quit and could smell other smokers.

Crystal
Old 05/15/2005, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrystalAZ
or her KIDS (yep, they smell like ashtrays).

Crystal
There should be a law against that, it is plain and simple child abuse and endangerment. I could care less if people want to smoke it is thier body to destroy, but to smoke around children is just wrong. Most kids that start smoking do it cause they are addicted to it from breathing it in from thier parents.

Sorry about my little rant...........

Rob
Old 05/16/2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Don't worry. Move to wherever smoking is already banned in public indoor areas, sidewalks, or arenas.

Soon enough smoking outside of ones own car or house will be banned. Now, if farting in public or wearing overpowering cologne were outlawed, I'd be all over that.

Personally, windows-down loud car stereos blaring "MOTHER***ER" are on my "list" for the time being. I'll be in court in 2 weeks over an incident involving that.

Anti-smokers, if it bugs you that much, get proactive. Whining about it on the internet just makes you sound unsympathetic & whiny. If it's that big a deal SAY something. Tittering objectionists are easily mocked by even the most craven offenders. Confront them & turn the table.
Old 05/16/2005, 01:04 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

If you dont like cigarette smoke California is the place to be. I figure it wont be long before smoking is pretty much banned everywhere here. There have even been some pushes to ban smoking in one's own home.
Old 05/16/2005, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

This thread is why i love being in cali
Old 05/16/2005, 04:10 AM
midnight desperado

I know of a town in AZ that has outlawed smokeing outside... can't think of the name... But some anit-smokers have really gotten out-of hand... Like the other day I was at bar, they have a smokeing area on the roof.. well the roof is outside and very windy... some lady came up there and demanded that we all stop smokeing around her.. We were there first!!! They have outlawed smokeing on most of the beaches in LA area.. Now that is a crock.. sitting on the beach in a 20 mph wind and somebody 100 yards away starts yelling at you for smokeing!! They say it is to cut down on butts in the sand, well maybe they should figure out that the majorty of them come from the storm drains and get washed to the beach, right along with all the non-smokers trash...
I do my best not to smoke around other people, but non-smokers seem to do there best to get right near me...
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 05/16/2005, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

Can anyone tell me why our government does not ban smoking or the use of tobacco products and be done away with this nasty habit?

By the way, I know the answer.

I sometimes find myself smoking a fine cigar and I know some smokers. I almost feel bad for them that they have to run outside or feel like second class citizens because they are enjoying a perfectly LEGAL product.
Old 05/16/2005, 07:30 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

It really should be outlawed IMO, it has no redeeming value. BUt what "bad" habit does? The cig mfgs have controlled the amount of nicotine to make them addictive. Cig Mfg's want to keep selling them? Fine, remove the nicotine in cigs to the point it isn't addictive, and pay ALL health care costs for smokers

and this the Lounge, we are here to Wine!!!
Old 05/16/2005, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Cool! Let's outlaw the stuff. Which one of our fine public servants might be up to this task?

Sorry, I don't want to take this in a direction that will close this thread.

I get irritated with the whole idea of someone enjoying something that's perfectly legal and being demonized.
Old 05/16/2005, 07:39 AM
Seamonkey on my back

if you don't like my smoke, stay outta my air...

alchohol kills other besides the drinker, why not outlaw beer too?
oh, and cars too, i'm sick and tired of breathing your carbon
monoxide, oh, and stop farting in my vicinity, i don't want to
breath your poop particles either.

stop whining and go back inside...

Rick
Old 05/16/2005, 07:44 AM
Moved In

Aren't we supposed to whine here? At our last company party in Casper, I was surprised how many of the young kids were smoking. Luckily they had tables set outside of the banquet room for them. I just want Dan to quit, everybody else can smoke if they want. I've had 2 Grandparents die from it. My Mother and my sister have emphysema, and I'm still the only nonsmoker in a family of 8.

Old 05/16/2005, 07:46 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by RicksReefs
if you don't like my smoke, stay outta my air...

alchohol kills other besides the drinker, why not outlaw beer too?
oh, and cars too, i'm sick and tired of breathing your carbon
monoxide, oh, and stop farting in my vicinity, i don't want to
breath your poop particles either.

stop whining and go back inside...
That's nest on my list! Ban drinking! Oh didn't they try that once?

Old 05/16/2005, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Aren't we supposed to whine here? At our last company party in Casper, I was surprised how many of the young kids were smoking. Luckily they had tables set outside of the banquet room for them. I just want Dan to quit, everybody else can smoke if they want. I've had 2 Grandparents die from it. My Mother and my sister have emphysema, and I'm still the only nonsmoker in a family of 8.
Hey, dc, I agree that it's a bad habit and one that can cause health issues. I don't like it when my sister-in-law smokes with my nieces in the car etc. As a matter of fact I think it would be a good thing over-all if people didn't smoke.
Old 05/16/2005, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Hear hear Debi!
I watched my grandmother die as one organ after another shut down from cancer. Cancer she was told flat out by the doc was caused by smoking and if she quit now (when they first found the cancer) she had a 90% survival chance. She smoked until the day my grandfather found her on the bathroom floor semi-concious.
Strange thing to me is-the same contaminents found in cigarettes are found in house fires. If you breath the stuff in during a house fire they treat you for smoke inhalation at the hospital, you do it in small quantities while standing around with friends and it's "cool". HUH?!?!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 05/16/2005, 08:25 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Smoking, even in small amounts will cause cancer & kill you.

Drinking won't.

I have no objection to people smoking outside, so long as they aren't tossing their cig butts all over the place