Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

My 12G! Finally Looks Official

Well major update!!! I finally got my lights in and did some major rearangements of things in the tank so here ya go. First the list of equipment...

12g Eclipse bow front tank
20lbs live rock
15lbs live sand
AC 300 sump/fuge
AC 30 powerhead
96W PC lighting 50/50 bulb

that's it... now the pictures! Advice/Opinions always welcome!

Old 03/08/2005, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Looking good!
Old 03/08/2005, 03:08 AM
Registered pineapple

nice!
Old 03/08/2005, 02:19 PM
cubed

Wow...excellent. It sure doesn't look like 20 lbs of live rock in there. IMO, you should get a few more pieces and stack it a bit higher.
Old 03/08/2005, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

A little more LR would look better but it looks like you are off to a great start. What are you looking to keep in there??

Jon
Old 03/08/2005, 03:55 PM
Now give me a dollar!

I agree, get a little more rock if you are able to.

I think you are off to a great start. Did you cycle already?

Carl
Old 03/08/2005, 06:16 PM
Hermit with Featherduster

Your off to a good looking start. A little more LR, a clean up crew, corals and fish and you'll have a real nice nano. Good luck, Skip
Old 03/08/2005, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Well thanks everyone for the coments! I actually re-aquascaped tonight so i'll have to take a picture and post it it looks a lot better. Yes it's 20lbs, the piece thats laying flat in the sand is good sized but mostly covered in the sand and some of the other pieces are pretty deep you just dont see it when there standing up.

As for what I want to keep... It's going to be a reef tank when I'm all done, clean up crew already in there.

4 astrea snails
1 margarita snail
1 queen conch
1 perpermint shrimp
5 blue legged hermits

Tank has been up for about 3 months now although it's gone major changes like every month since I started. More to come soon!
Old 03/09/2005, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

Looks like a nice start. I look forward to seeing the next round of pics. Are you going to put a light over the fuge? Or any Macro in it?

Jared
Old 03/09/2005, 09:11 AM
cubed

You'll need some nassarius and cerith snails to keep the sand bed stirred. 6-8 nass and 2 ceriths oughta do ya.

Oh and make sure you toss in a few extra, empty shells a bit larger than the shells the hermits are currently in. Otherwise, they may evict and eat a snail.
Old 03/09/2005, 10:01 AM
Hermit with Featherduster

The queen conch is not a good choice for this tank because there won't be enough sandbed in a 12 gallon for it to get enough to eat plus they will outgrow this tank. I have seen queen conchs for sale at LFS in the 3-4 inch range. I have actually seen them in the 8-9 inch range from tip to tip.
I also agree on the nassarious snails, I prefer the nassarious vibex snails (they are pretty small but do a big job). Good luck, Skip
Old 03/09/2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Well like i said I requascaped and moved everything around... Also with the advice of many members as you can see I'm floating my Nas. Snails in this picture, I just had picked up four of them. Also added my black background... More pictures to come I just got a marroon clown which is really nice looking!

Old 03/10/2005, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

It has a nice clean look from the front
If your going to run that aqua clear on the back I would put some carbon and a sponge in. IME the sponge filter will give you more biological filtration than that piece of LR. Besides, Aqua clears move a lot of water, so the piece of LR wont beable to do much work back thier. If your not going to have very many fish.. than its ok.
Old 03/10/2005, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Small sponge filter added to the AC300... It's kinda a temp thing until I can get time to work at putting a baffel in there to make it a full fuge and then i can put sand in there with the live rock and some chaeto. As far as fish only looking for one or two... Last night I added my maroon clown he's doin good so far although I think he's trying to figure out the best place to hang out with the amount of flow I have in the tank. I'll post a picture when I get home.
Old 03/10/2005, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

My newly added maroon clown... Only a day old and already eating seems very happy although I think he's tryin to figure out thos whole current thing.

Old 03/10/2005, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

peppermint shrimp... kinda hard to see sorry he's a pain in the butt to photo...
Old 03/11/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

better picture of my marron clown although the camera kinda washed out the yellow on him.

Old 03/11/2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

and now the start of converting my AC300 to a fuge

Old 03/11/2005, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Ack! Conchs are terrible for the reef aquarium. Even small (2") conchs require 2 square feet of sand bed per conch, and they also wipe out all of the beneficial benthic organisms we want in our sand beds.

Please return the conch before it starves
Old 03/11/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

cut the fins on the ac300 down a little bit that will slow the water down a little bit i read a while back that a few people have done this

looks good im working on my 10 gallon nano it should be cycled by now

hth

chad
Old 03/11/2005, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

I know a queen conch will get to big for a 12g but for now until she really starts growing it could be a while for her to out grow the tank. I have a fairly decent sized sand bed and as far as eating micro-organisms in the sand they diatoms as far as I know and not only does she eat off the sand but she climbs the rocks and also the glass so for now to control algae i'm gonna hang onto her. I'm probably moving in may so when I do she'll be going back to the LFS.

As for the flow on the AC300 I really liked how much there was when I didn't have anything on it and no baffles so now that it's going to be less no point in trimming the fins. I use an AC301 powerhead to cut the drop out from the AC300 so it doesn't pound my live sind.
Old 03/12/2005, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Awesome start....good luck.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Well here is what the AC300 fuge finally came out to look like, it has about an inch of live sand and some live rock frags in it... I like the flow into the tank its nice and smooth and not too much... Stirs the surface nicely although I will probably go ahead and get the surface skimmer attachment to help a little bit more. Also I added on top my old 13w PC light from the eclipse hooh works well as a fuge light and you can see the difference between that light and the light in my tank from the picture. If anyone has any questions just let me know cause this was a breeze to make and I was very intimitaded going into it.

Old 03/14/2005, 12:57 PM
Moved On

Sweet setup...thats some nice LR in there....full of color! I still cant get my maroon clown to host with anything yet. But then again I dont have many corals in my tank.

keep us posted!
Old 03/14/2005, 01:30 PM
cubed

I agree, converting the AC 300 into a fuge is really simple to do. If you still want to have some mechanical filtration, the Millenium 1000 poly/carbon replacement pad fits perfectly just to the right of the intake tube. It'll slide right down to the bottom of the deeper main chamber. Works great! I replace it weekly when doing my water change and tank maintenence.

Get yourself a clump of chaeto from a fellow reefer and your fuge will be complete.