Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Large Tank Builder??

Hi - I am working on a new tank project - 150 gallon system roughly - maybe 180 - dimensions of 72" x 30" x 24" --- i am still trying to decide on acrylic vs glass (starphire for the viewing areas) -- it will be a room divider, so the two long pieces would have to be starphire or some other low iron glass -

i have heard great things about envision acrylics (james) and also decent things about glasscages.com, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i live in texas, in dallas, so shipping could be an issue. thanks!
Old 02/27/2005, 08:14 PM
Moved On

My personal opinion is vendors like glass cages are cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for.
Old 02/27/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

glasscages has a dropoff in dallas in 2 months so shipping will be pretty cheap
Old 02/27/2005, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Just went through this process. I knew I wanted acrylic so I went through quotes from them all. In the end I went with someone local. I didn't get the lowest price. The difference was the others didn't offer an option of one open top rather than multiple openings. This was the deciding factor. If I can't reach in easily and there is more acrylic at the top than open space eating all my light to me this is counterproductive. So I payed more because the top panel is extra thick to allow this. Also a few wanted more money than the other bidders yet wanted to use thinner acrylic. That seemed like an invitation to bowing etc.,. I imagine this is your dream tank, as mine is. So make it happen without compromises so you can be happy for the long term
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 02/27/2005, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys for the feedback - I am starting to realize the value of a local builder and not having to worry about shipping and confusion over the phone - i was able to locate two local builders and hopefully between the two of them, i will be able to make this happen.

funkiereef ... excellent point about spending the extra $$ to make it perfect - i will try to do this - thanks.
Old 02/28/2005, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

lovetoreef, have you also check out Kevinn @ http://www.aquaticimagesystem.com/ ?