Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2001, 02:30 PM
Garbologist

Need Advice On Anthias

Hello all!

I have searched the boards for info on anthias-found some but not alot. Much of it is inconsistant. Have read what I can find in my books. There seems to be a 50/50 split on the yeahs and nays. I am thinking of trying a small school but need more info in order to feel I am making the correct decision. I have a 127 gallon reef running for 21 months. All small fish-hawk, two clowns, Potter's and a six line. This will be my last addition. I would like them to be 3-4 inch max. Would appreciate any thoughts on good choices, how many and where to find them. Thanks.

Steve

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 12/30/2001, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

I really wanted to get anthias as well. Did my homework and decided to pass. Concensus was that they were very high maintenance and need to be fed live food. For me it wasn't worth it. People did say that dispar were the best with lyretail second. Just the info provided to me.
Old 12/30/2001, 11:32 PM
Moved On

hi smiller

anthias can't really be discussed as a genus. they need to be handled on a per species basis. some species are very hardy in the aquarium, while others rarely survive.

were there any in particular that you were interested?

for an excellent resource on anthias you should look into "reef fishes volume 1" by scott michael. it has some 40 or 50 pages on anthias. maybe you could locate one at a LFS and flip through it.

HTH

henry
Old 12/31/2001, 06:52 AM
Garbologist

Thanks guys.

Henry-There wasn't any one in particular I had an interest in. Something colorful that will eat prepared foods and stays small. I am wide open for suggestions. Like Rich I am not dead set to get them, but would like a small school of fish to finish off my population. The anthias looked like a possibility. I have thought about some chromis but liked the colors of the anthias.

I saw the book you mention at a LFS in Dallas last weekend. They had some lyretails so I was reading his section on them. I still didn't think I knew enough to make a proper selection, so I was hoping to gain some more info here. I think reading the complete section on anthias is a good idea. I will do that when I get back to Dallas. (Althought the LFS may frown on it )

Steve

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."