Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Aquarium and Coral Reef Organization of Sarasota (Acros)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2005, 03:33 PM
Moved On

Salt Recommendations

I used to use Coralife salt before I moved here. I never heard anything bad about it and my tank seemed fine. When I got here I tried a few LFS but they didnt carry it. I had no other option than to choose between Instant Ocean (which I had heard can cause bleaching) and Oceanic. I chose Oceanic.

Now I hear that Oceanic can cause problems also and that they stoped adding Stronium to their mix. Has anyone growing SPS had bad experience with Oceanic? Should I switch brands?

What salts are you reefers using in SPS tanks?
Old 02/18/2005, 04:19 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

I have always used IO but I really have a very limited SPS population...
Old 02/18/2005, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I use Reef Crystals, I think that its made my IO. Just more minor elements. I also have a very limited SPS population. Infact i'm not sure if its SPS or LPS. got different opinions.

Nathan

P.S. It also disolves almost instantly. Very Nice
Old 02/18/2005, 08:43 PM
DIYer

Iam using red sea with not problems. Alot of people use reef crystals.
Old 02/19/2005, 08:31 AM
Moved On

Thanks for the input. I guess I got it backwards so I'm going to stop using Oceanic. Its been two weeks and I see some brown starting on the sand to one side of the tank. My Nitrates, Phos, Ph and Alk all seem fine so it must be the salt. I did some research and many RC reefers claim the same problem with Oceanic.

I didnt see any bad input on Instant Ocean. Are there any down side to using that brand? My memory obviously skipped a beat, but I remember reading that one salt caused bleaching of SPS. What salt is that?
Old 02/19/2005, 09:40 PM
RC Mod

I really shouldn't comment because the only salt I've used is IO. Never saw a reason to change........

Agu