Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/1999, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

got the advance REL2s110 ballast to run my 2-96w pc's....just wanted to ask how to connect the line to a grounded 3 plug....where do i attched the ground on the plug?

thnx,
mike

------------------
Art site http://members.tripod.com/FeedyourMind/
Reef site http://members.tripod.com/ReefPatch/Index.htm
Old 11/02/1999, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

mike,

glad to hear you got it all going personally, i dont have mine grounded...woops, did i say that outloud? hehehe, well, you are supposed to take the green wire( the ground wire) and wire it to a screw that holds the ballast to a ballast box. This then gets run to the reflector, and would attach directly to the reflector. In most cases, flourescent ballast are mounted in the light fixture, so there is no distance run for the ground wire. If it works without it, you dont HAVE to have it (well, to be up to code you do) but I have been running mine without it for about 3 months now.. I will wire up the ground after I move next month. So, the idea is that you are going to provide a place for stray electricity to run to, in the event that there is a short. The green wire goes to an "earth ground" in your house. Its basically a big metal rod that they shove down into the ground that stray voltage will follow.

sorry this is a very disjointed message, I had a few too many pepsi's this morning...

my good friend caffeine... caffeine... caffeine... caffeine... caffeine... caffeine...

g
o
b
y

------------------
The quest ( and the questions) continues...
www.iag.net/~vigg
Old 11/02/1999, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

If you have problems with the light starting you may need to add the ground wire connection to the reflector. As a professional I must tell you that you have to ground the ballast and reflector.
thank you for your time and have a good day
Old 11/02/1999, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

thnx guys...i think i knew this just didn't believe myself since that recent electrical mishap....hehe...lets just say it wasn't doghair i was scooping out of the sump...hehe...oh wait it wasn't funny...

Pedro Morales

------------------
Art site http://members.tripod.com/FeedyourMind/
Reef site http://members.tripod.com/ReefPatch/Index.htm
Old 11/09/1999, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

isn't the rel2s110 for 2-55w pc's? would that be enough power to run the 96W's? or will you just be running the 96w's at 55w intensity?

have a nice day
max spl
Old 11/10/1999, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

psychocoralchopper,

The ballast is very versatile. I will actually run either the 96's or 55's or 2 110's I think. (Need to check their website to make sure). It just knows :-)

-ignatz