Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2005, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

what kind of mushroom is this??

I know this one is a ricordia floritda

but what is this one. very unsure. saw it was red, and just bought it.
Old 02/15/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

ricordia yuma ?
Old 02/15/2005, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Tagging along...

I just bought the exact same ric and was wondering the same thing. My LFS said that it is from the atlantic ocean ... thats all I could gather.
Old 02/15/2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

That is a Carribean Corallimorph (I don't know the genus or species). Check out Reeftopia.com, I believe they have them for sale frequently.
jandlms
Old 02/17/2005, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

its a red rhodactis.
Old 02/18/2005, 01:31 AM
Montigyra kenti

Ricordea yuma, and it appears to be angry
Old 02/18/2005, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

which ever ric it is, where should i keep it in my tank? I've heard that you should keep red rics high in the tank as they require more light then other color morphs. Is this true?
Old 02/18/2005, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

That red one is absolutely not yuma. You can tell by the shape of the bumps on the surface. They are not higly riaised pimples, instead they are low and they have a sort of almost starlike shape to them if you look carefully. These guys need more lighting than discosoma mushrooms. What lighting do you have and on what size tank?
Old 02/18/2005, 11:27 AM
Montigyra kenti

The mushroom's mouth screams Ricordea yuma. Just give it some time to heal.
Old 02/18/2005, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I have T5 lighting over a 37 gallon tank (4 x 39W). As of right now the shroom is on a rock about 5-6 inches from the light. Is this too high? Could i keep it more mid level in the tank? Its been there 2 days now and it seems okay.
Old 02/18/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

You have decent lighting over that tank, so I would certainly move it down.
Old 02/20/2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

the picture is very blurred so it would be impossible to make a positive id.Judging the way the bumps radiate from the mouth and the fact that they are also on the mouth it would almost have to be a Ricordia Yuma.My pink one loves the light all my others show their best colors off to the side or back of the aquarium.I think your placement is fine...if it does'nt expand fully after a few weeks you might try moving it lower.
Old 02/21/2005, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, but go ahead and look up any rhodactis mushroom. They ALL have bumps that go all they way up to the mouth. You really have to look at the shape of the "bumos" On any type of rics, the bumps are pretty much pimply round bumps. On a rhodactis, the bumps are usualy shpaed very differently.
Old 02/21/2005, 04:16 AM
Montigyra kenti

I understand what you are saying. The reason the bumps are low is because it is not in full health. Could you please point out where the star shaped bumps are located, because I can't find them.
Old 02/21/2005, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I've got to agree with keckles.The bumps(papillae) you are refering to on a Rhodactis species are more califlower-like than the more rounded shape I see.I've seen many a Yuma with the bumps almost flush from the oral disc and have never come across a picture in any publication that resembled the picture in this thread.
Old 02/21/2005, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Wow, I'm amazed at the IDing skills of some of you so called mushroom lovers. I wont try to argue my point anymore after this post. And I hope some others with more Yuma experience will step in here. Rhodactis comes in many different forms such as hairy, frilly, tongas, bullseyes, and their tentacle all look different. But with yumas, they ALL have round pimple like tentacles just like R. floridas.

Plus, do you know how rare red yumas are? If it really was one, it would demand prices of $200 and up.
Old 02/21/2005, 01:58 PM
Montigyra kenti

I agree that it could possibly be some sort of Rhodactis. I do in fact realize that yuma have the same rounded pimple like tentacles as florida. I have yet to see any tentacles on this specimen that are unusually shaped, besides the fact that this specimen is unhealthy and some are not fully extended. Reefblue, can you take any more pictures of it? They will greatly help in a positive identification.
Old 02/22/2005, 12:40 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by jedininja
Plus, do you know how rare red yumas are? If it really was one, it would demand prices of $200 and up.
no offense, but this is why people are afraid to get into this hobby. and since i have seen several specimens of red yumas, and several online stores, not to mention LFS's that stock them, to realize that although they are not as easy to find as brown zoanthids, it doesnt make them as rare as you make it sound.

end rant
Old 02/22/2005, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Afraid to get into this hobby because of high prices of rarer corals? If all corals were that price then maybe, but rare things will always demand high prices.

Please put up a few links to red yumas if they are so readily found. There are some that say red, but most a some version of dark orange. If you can find any red yumas that are under $200, I will certainly purchase them right now. You make it seem like I'm trying to scare people off with those prices, but I am only stating fact.

Go look on aquacon and you will see the exact red rhodactis that reefblue has posted. I am the only person here that has even answered reefblues question about lighting and stuff whereas everyone else is making false IDs. So why are you even posting in this thread without anything constructive to add to a single bit of information or fact?
Old 02/22/2005, 04:39 PM
Montigyra kenti

Quote:
Originally posted by jedininja
If you can find any red yumas that are under $200, I will certainly purchase them right now.
I hope you have a lot of money saved up, because I know plenty of red R. yuma that are priced much lower than $200.

I have agreed and still agree that this could be Rhodactis sp. I do not see any bumps on this specimen that are a different shape than those of R. yuma, and the reason they are lower than usual is because this mushroom is not in full health. I don't think we can make a positive identification until this mushrooms improves and begins to show stronger characteristics, so I will stop trying.
Old 02/22/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I seriously would love to get a red yuma. So if you've got a link, please send it me.

keckles, check out aquacon and scroll down to the mushrooms and you will see one exactly like the one in this thread.

But seriously, not being sarcastic here, ifyou know of a link with a true red yuma, plase post it. Not those dark orange ones they call reds though. I certainly am looking for one.
Old 02/22/2005, 04:59 PM
Montigyra kenti

I am not sure if I can post them, but I will PM them to you.
Old 02/22/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. got them but none of them are true reds. Thet are dark pinks and dark oranges which are already in my collection. Thanks for trying though.
Old 02/22/2005, 05:13 PM
Montigyra kenti

If those aren't red, I don't know what is.
Old 02/22/2005, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

red like a red crayon. I have seent hem twice in my life and fell in love with thm but cant find them anywhere.

They really do look like red, as red as the true red rhodactis.

Too many sites sell pinks and dark oanges which usually go for $60 for the dark oranges and $120 for the pink elsewhere, but they call them reds and add $80 to the price.