Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/08/2005, 09:18 PM
SPS Apprentice

Need Skimmer Recomendation

OK I know everyone hate recomendation threads because they have been talked about over and over again....so sorry in advance.

I set-up a prop tank, The tank is not drilled nor do I have and overflow and I do not want to have a sump. I really want a decent skimmer on the tank. I looked at some decent HOT skimmers like the deltec or lifereef skimmers but cant really afford either. Could I run a skimmer in the tank itself? I would support it on a PCV frame with eggcrate as a base. I do not care at all about the look. I was looking at getting a euro-reef, ASM, or AquaC EV120. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder.

TIA
Matt
Old 02/08/2005, 09:21 PM
Anemone Rancher

any of those three brands should work well. You didn't mention what size tank so its hard to recommend specific models. I like the AquaC skimmers that I've seen/used because they are small and use low power for the amount of work they do.
Old 02/08/2005, 09:27 PM
SPS Apprentice

The tank is a 40 gallon breeder, thanks for the reply.
Old 02/08/2005, 09:53 PM
RC Sponsor

I personally would go with a standard AquaC Remora. they work great and are easy to use.
Old 02/08/2005, 10:04 PM
SPS Apprentice

Are they going to work as well as a the ones I was looking at?

Thanks for the replies.

Matt
Old 02/09/2005, 12:19 AM
Moved On

if you dont want to spend allot of money on a skimmer I would go with the JEBO 520. I have this on my 90g and its doing a great job. You can pick one up on ebay for about 80bucks! here is a pic of mine in action.

Last edited by DJ88©; 02/17/2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02/09/2005, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

I agree... I'd go with the AquaC Remora. Just make sure you get the one with the Maxi-jet 1200. It also might be worth getting the bubble trap-prefilter.
Old 02/09/2005, 02:42 AM
Moved On

bubble trap filter?? how does that work?
Old 02/09/2005, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

The bubble trap/pre-filter first skims the water surface for the skimmer's pump intake. Then, the water that leaves the skimmer goes through a box that has a sponge in the bottom. The water has to go through that sponge before it goes back into the tank. This makes most of the bubbles that leave the skimmer unable to enter the tank. I'm sure I explained that about as well as a 1st grader. You can probably find out more from AquaC's website.
Old 02/09/2005, 03:02 AM
Moved On

My cousin has a 40B that he uses a urchin on (sump version of remora)...loves it. I do think you can get just as good for less however. I have been looking at those cheap JEBO units as well...kind of a tinkerer myself, but as long as the collection cup works fine, I can rig anything up as an asperating venturi skimmer with one of my pumps.
Old 02/09/2005, 04:01 AM
Professional Crastinator

If you want a hang-on-back style skimmer then IMO the best for your money will be the Remora Pro.

I think both ER and ASM skimmers are better, however, and im sure you could find a creative platform to put one on (PVC maybe?) to keep it from being totally submerged in the tank...if your willing to sacrifice tank space. do you plan on keeping fish in this tank? if not you might not even need a skimmer as powerful as an ER or ASM.

As far as I know the only reason people don't usually put in-sump style skimmers inside their tanks is because of aesthetic reasons...after all people don't even like the look of powerheads and heaters. For a prop tank this might not be an issue.

Now that im thinking about it, the only other problem I can think of would be the effect of your lights on the skimmer, which could be problematic, but I really have no idea. Fuge lights arent usually a big deal, but then again they are usually not used for growing SPS. Im sure you could remedy this problem easily enough though...

just some ideas

"My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitiation at all."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 02/09/2005, 08:05 AM
SpEd Man

Euro-Reef ES5-2 will be more than enough for you.
Old 02/09/2005, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Remora pro for sure or at least get a remora with a mag 3. I have the remora with maxi 1200 and it sucks. 1/2 cup over 3-4 weeks, not very good IMO. I have given this skimmer a good run with the maxi and heard the mag 3 will do wonders for it. I ordered the mag 3 and it should be here any day.
20 gal Sump/fuge LOA 75W
Rio 2500 sump
3 maxi 1200's wavemaker pro
----------
Honey, I cant quit, look at all the money I've already put into it!
Old 02/09/2005, 01:27 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by n240sxle91
The bubble trap/pre-filter first skims the water surface for the skimmer's pump intake. Then, the water that leaves the skimmer goes through a box that has a sponge in the bottom. The water has to go through that sponge before it goes back into the tank. This makes most of the bubbles that leave the skimmer unable to enter the tank. I'm sure I explained that about as well as a 1st grader. You can probably find out more from AquaC's website.
can I DIY a bubble trap for my skimmer?
Old 02/09/2005, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

jonnyringo,

i you have the money go for Deltec. if you see one in operation you defenitly will go for it. if you don't have that money available go for other brand skimmers. Deltec is truly a piece of art. You can really dive in your tank and that skimmer wont resume skimming
Old 02/09/2005, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Seahunter... you probably could make your own bubble trap/pre-filter. On the other hand, they only cost $30. After you invest your time and money I think you'd probably wish you spent the $30 in the end.
Old 02/09/2005, 08:17 PM
Moved On

where do I get it?? is there a place online?
Old 02/09/2005, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

As for the sugestion for a deltec on a small prop tank let me refer you to this article . http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/ac/index.htm
You would have to grow and sell ALOT I mean ALOT of frags to recoupe the investment in one of these . Im not knocking deltec . Just not realistic for a small prop tank . I would say go with a remora .
Old 02/09/2005, 08:38 PM
SPS Apprentice

I read that article too, that is kinda the reason I asked the question.
Old 02/09/2005, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

If you are asking where to get the prefilter/bubble trap I would go to marinedepot.com
Old 02/09/2005, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

well I did say if you have the money go for Deltec. I am not lying on this, my AP 600 started skimming dry brown foam within half an hour and the amount of bubbles is always constant even if you put your hands in the tank, sump or feed the fish something I never saw with my AquaC EV 120. AquaC was so senstive that even sometimes when I used to open the closet to check the sump and skimmer, the skimmer would stop skimming and recover after 2-3 hours. Check my website if you don't belive. Anyway, it's up to you and your budget, just my $0.02
Old 02/09/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

+ i consider the skimmer the most important equipment in my system and my total water volume right now is 55G tank + 10G sump and I never heard of overskimming
Old 02/10/2005, 01:22 AM
Moved On

I agree with albfelix...injector skimmers (AquaC owns the patent...either the EV line, or the remora/urchin line...or you can DIY one) tend to be finicky IME...not consistent. This seems to be a debate more about the type of skimmer to get>>> Asperated/Reverse Venturi, Injection, Venturi, Downdraft/HSA, Beckett, or airstone. My suggestion depends on the tank size that the skimmer needs to handle. I like injector skimmers (I have made many myself and had a few AquaCs), and they really rock, but my opinion on them has changed recently for one reason. For smaller tanks, these skimmers end up using powerheads or mags (glorified powerheads IMO). These pumps decline over time due to the back-pressure of the injection nozzle (something better left to a pressure rated pump). Also, I took one of these powerheads that was used as an injector pump (after I noticed its output was going down), removed the nozzle for a straight open pipe w/o restriction, put the powerhead back on, and ran an airline into the intake of the powerhead. The foam output doubled and the whole skimmer turned white with frothy foam...I had to add on a bubble-trap. This pretty much convinced me that the most efficient way to make the most out of your skimmer is to not restrict the pump. Venturis also restrict the output. Becketts dont as much, but they also get used with larger, usually pressure rated pumps...not powerheads. Downdraft skimmers like the ETSS are nice, but like the beckett, might be more than you need being that they are for larger tanks (tried making a small downdraft myself...doesnt work well). So for medium size reef/prop tank, I would say asperating venturi is the best way...you can use lower energy powerheads and get great results. If you are at all a DIYer, making one is easy as well...I get away with not even needing needlewheels on mine because I look for the fastest spinning pumps that really mash up the bubbles.
Old 02/10/2005, 01:57 PM
Moved On

is AquaC that good???
Old 02/10/2005, 04:35 PM
Moved On

what do you mean by "that"?