Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2005, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

LFS says "No skimmer in Reef setup!" Huh?

LFS tells me, "You don't want a protein skimmer in a reef tank, it will strip out all of your trace elements and calcium." Huh? This can't be true; everyone swears by protein skimmers. Then I tell him that I'm getting rid of my bio wheels since everyone says they are just a "nitrate factory." He says, "What? No, they are getting rid of your nitrate." My nitrate readings are 0, and he says, "That's because you have all that hair algae to feed on the nitrate."

Now I'm asking:

Where are the nitrates coming from?

-------and--------

Do protein skimmers strip the good stuff out of the water? I'm on well water (usually high in calcium) but my calcium levels were in the 320-340 range before heavy dosing (now ~500). Is he right? Is my new Remora stripping the calcium out of the water? My green star polyp closed up shop for 6 weeks solid; only after heavy calcium dosing has it re-emerged (only partially, though). Is this why?

HELP! Why is it that you ask five different "experts" the same question and you get five different answers? Man, this can be so frustrating figuring out what is the right thing to do.
Old 02/03/2005, 06:31 PM
Moved On

Find a new fish store or learn to ignore that person as he is 100% wrong on both accounts.
Old 02/03/2005, 06:34 PM
m0delgator

Totally 100% wrong.
Old 02/03/2005, 06:42 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I almost sneezed my Sprite out my nose when I read this. Protein Skimmers removing all calcium???? Bio-Wheels keeping Nitrates down??? What has the Reef World come to!?!?
Old 02/03/2005, 07:32 PM
CDMAS

Yeah he's confused. Biowheels convert Ammonia and NItrite INTO nitrate. Thats the point of them they are wet dires that provide oxygen for the aerobic bacteria

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 02/03/2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Skimmers....
Your LFS is NOT 100% wrong.
Why don't you research some more....
i.e. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm
Old 02/03/2005, 08:02 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Where is this petco?
Old 02/03/2005, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

need to find someone else for help. Not them.
Old 02/03/2005, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Even your local fish store can hire the village idiot.Protein skimmers remove organic material before it has achance to break down into ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.Trust the crowd on RC.Read a lot of old posts too.
Old 02/03/2005, 08:12 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by JessB
Skimmers....
I guess it comes down to terminology. Does a skimmer remove some good stuff? Sure.

Will it remove "trace elements?" Not by my definition - stuff like selenium, boron, strontium, etc exist as ions in the water - a protien skimmer won't touch those. What will it remove? Really big protiens or other organic compounds. Do those fall under the heading "trace element?" Again, not in my book.

Will it remove calcium? Certainly not.
Old 02/03/2005, 08:17 PM
midnight desperado

Ok JessB maybe not 100% wrong but 99.999999%

While, it is true that protein skimming removes more than just undesirable elements from the aquarium. It will also remove some useful compounds, too. This is one of the reasons why some hobbyists resist their usage. However, by the same token, if we want to exclude everything in the aquarium that takes out desirable organics and bio-minerals, we would have to remove our corals and other invertebrates too, and the fishes, desirable algae, true vascular plants, etc. You get the drift! Without a skimmer, the water will still be scrubbed of desirable components. In my opinion, protein skimming far and away serves the greater good. Over time, we are beginning to understand the nature and quality of noxious compounds that are being produced in our systems. Protein skimming helps to reduce the amount and impact of these "toxins".

Personaly i go with the biggest skimmer I can run... and even then I want to go bigger... I tested my skimmate for calcium... 230ppm.. my tank runs at 460ppm.... that means eather some CA was used up in the skimmate or is left IN the tank..

I would never run a tank W/O a skimmer... but some people do?...
and the hair hair algae comment is really funny!!!
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 02/03/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Rule #1,never ask anything at the LFS,go in get what you need (and researched) and get out.Rule #2,ask your questions on this forum,the experts are actually experts and the rest of us have alot of different experiences that may be helpful.
Old 02/03/2005, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

He isn''t 100% wrong about the skimmer.
Using a skimmer is not the only method in this hobby.
Look at the Berlin method.
BUt he was wrong about the bio wheel.
Old 02/03/2005, 10:35 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JessB
Skimmers....

After skimming that article I didn't find anything to substantiate the LFS guy's comments.
Old 02/03/2005, 10:55 PM
Moved On

Your LFS should be closed down!! If he were giving that kind of BAD information on a dog or cat he WOULD BE!! Think about it.
Old 02/03/2005, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

routesixtysixer
how much skimate does your remora pull out? i know i will
never pour what comes out of mine back into the tank.
Old 02/03/2005, 11:34 PM
Ready For Some Football

I think that lfs guy is absolutely right...everytime he thinks to himself,"I should be flipping burgers".

Old 02/04/2005, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I'm sorry, but...the first thing you think of in a reef...believe me from many mistakes....is a protein skimmer. Ask us, don't ask the lfs. Some people in a lfs are in the hobby, but, come on, most are in it for a paycheck.

Ask here first, then go in educated.
Old 02/04/2005, 12:09 AM
CDMAS

I wouldn't lump all lfs employees together. I get advice from people at my lfs all the time. Some of them are quite knowledgeable One owner around here is a retired biochemist.
Others I know are experienced hobbiests.

Just because some employees are idiots doesn't mean they all are.

Think about it if for any reason one of us had to take a job in an lfs, we would be the ones handing out the advice.

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 02/04/2005, 12:17 AM
RC Mod

I skimmed the article, too, and didn't really agree with all of it. This article is more accurate, IMO:

http://web.archive.org/web/200304150...skimmers2.html
Old 02/04/2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I could see not using a skimmer if you had the perfect balance of plants and animals that would use up all the organics. Mabye
Old 02/04/2005, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

I used to take what my LFS said to be gospel, but as I gained experience, I found out that often times they are wrong more than they are right. Don't get me wrong, there are some very knowledgable LFS employees out there, but if it is not one you have established a good relationship with, take what they have to offer with a grain of sea salt. Especially if their advice involves you purchasing something.
Old 02/04/2005, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Wow, thanks. I think I hit a chord. This particular LFS is called "Reef" something; specialize in reef aquatics. Kind of scary, huh? I guess I was just looking for justification for where I am going with my system; you all confirmed that I'm headed in the right direction (regardless of what my LFS says). Thanks again!
Old 02/04/2005, 11:08 AM
Moved On

Routesixtysixer I hope you've upgraded the pump on your Remora to at the Min an MJ1200...I'm considering going with a Mag 3 or even a Mag 5 w/a flow valve that I can throttle down some.

It's a good design but I believe its sadly underpowered.
Old 02/04/2005, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I purchased with the upgraded MJ1200 pump (based on research done here at RC) and I have not been disappointed with it's performance. I empty every two or three days some pretty nasty stuff. The nastiness of the skimmate is not as bad as it was at first (maybe 80% of what it was). It started skimming within about two days and the worst stuff came out in the first three weeks after that. My bioload is pretty low and I try not to overfeed; of course, this is easier with only a few fish.