Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Northwest Ohio Reef Association (NORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2005, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

NORA Meeting?

Do we have anything going on yet? Any meeting plans? how about a small swap? We could get Dick Perin to talk to us about growing corals. He is the founder of Tropicorium. Very important person in the early development of corals in home tanks. Let me know if you guys come up with something.
Old 01/18/2005, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Do you know Mr. Perin very well? I have been recently calling places looking for a place to meet and having a speaker would be fantastic and should draw quite a few more people.

Give me a heads up if you have any other ideas!
Old 01/18/2005, 03:14 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I can be a speaker but I just wont know what I'm talking about If you want to hear me ramble though just let me know. I work for cheap
Old 01/18/2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know if the new Rocking U still has a Banquet room?

I have henestly been looking at a few sports bar typ eplaces, but have been leaning towards a place like Rocking U or Pizza hut here in findlay. I figure Pizza is just about the universal 'anyonewilleat' food.
Old 01/18/2005, 05:51 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I just called the Rocking U and they do not have a Banquet Room.
Old 01/18/2005, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Well I coulda done that, I was just curious if anyone knew lol. I appreciate it.
Old 01/18/2005, 07:36 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

We could have it in your back yard by the pool
Old 01/18/2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

its not a pool right now, more of a skating rick at this moment. Ithough about having at my home but

#1 My wife said she didnt want that many strangers in the house.

#2 Everyone would want to se my tank, and my office isnt that big.

#3 My wife says No.

Pretty much puts it there, maybe in the future things will lighten up a bit
Old 01/18/2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I am sure Dick Perin would not mind. Let me know a date and where, not exact but I would like some info to take to him. If you want to find a place to meet. Try a fish store. Most are closed on Mondays and I am sure they would love to have 5-15 reefers looking around their shop. Trilby is going to carry sw in around a month. They have alot of room and they could get alot of ideas from their customers. They are located Toledo near the mall on Monroe St.
any questions call me 419 297 1627

Paul
Old 01/18/2005, 10:10 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

How about we find out how many people are going to come to the first meeting? We might not even need a banquet room. Here are some places along I-75 that we could meet: Frickers(sports bar), Ralphies(sports bar), Steves Dakota Bar and Grill, Bob Evens, Dennys, Sportsman Lanes (Bowling), Whats that new pizza joint out Trenton Ave? Those are all the ideas I have that would be easy for everyone to get to.
Old 01/18/2005, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

It's all hit and miss, times with me that is, but I am totally in if I can make it. I am sure we will have more places when the weather gets better!
Oh by the way, I am Scott from Napoleon/Defiance area!
Old 01/19/2005, 09:07 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think a bowling alley would be a bit too noisy. If we go to a restaurant we should get a private banquet room as it would be quieter and the general public might lose their appetites when they hear us talking about things like gluing animals to rocks, smelling/tasting skimmate, and blending squid/silversides.....Just a polite consideration.
Old 01/19/2005, 09:47 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Good point. I'll keep looking.
Old 01/19/2005, 09:54 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I just had a brain storm (ouch) My sister works at the Days Inn off I-75. I could ask her what they have for a banquet room and we could just order some pizza.
Old 01/20/2005, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

hrmmmm, depends if she would hooks us up or charge us. I dont want to spend any oney for a meeting at this point in the game.
Old 01/21/2005, 12:54 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

How about the Woodland Restaurant? They have a banquet room and its FREE if people order food. We would just need to know how many people plan on showing up before we could reserve it. For those that dont know where it is its on S. Main St. right across from the court house in Findlay (very easy to get to from any direction). So lets find out when we want to do this and how many people plan on being there.
Old 01/21/2005, 06:23 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Where ever it is I'am in!!!
Old 01/24/2005, 07:26 PM
Team RC Member

I wont be able to go. Too young.
Old 01/24/2005, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I think best turnout would be in Toledo. I-75 at Perrysburg might also be a good choice.
Old 01/25/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

i think you will also get more people if in the toledo perrysburg area. I spoke with Dick Perin and he told me he does not do speaking events any more His last one was MACNA in 03.
Old 01/26/2005, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I would offer my home if yall do not mind it being a lil small. we could all just bring a munchie and get to know each other. I live in findlay and would luv to attend meetings but if you hold them in Toledo then I am sorry to say I could not attend :*( I have fri. and sat. free ) My ol man could be ther also and I would not have to worry about anyone wanting to see my tanks because they are all sitting around empty at this time.( makes me wannt cry).
But hey it is just an idea. Let me know K. Lesa
Old 01/27/2005, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Hello all. I just discovered the NORA forum - thanks Dubbin1!

I live in Findlay, OH and would like to meet others interested in reef/fish saltwater aquariums. I have been involved in the hobby for almost 10 years now and only know a couple of locals

If anyone would like to get together to talk, trade, etc. send me an email - JJJXLR8@YAHOO.COM
Old 01/27/2005, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Dude, glad to see another findlay person in here, and even happier to find someone as pumped and excited about what we all do here.

As for the toledo Perrysburg area, I think if it was up there we would get more toledo people the first time around, but shaft the Lima and South of Findlay area people. I do think that we will alternate meeting places between findlay area and Toledo area, but I am thinking it would be the best for evryone to have the first meeting in the findlay area. Thansk for all the comments everyone.

What fish how many people do you think could relistically fit at your place without becoming crowded?
Old 01/27/2005, 04:39 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

[welcome]
Old 02/02/2005, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Hello all. Thanks Dubbin1 for directing me here. I live in Toledo, and would love to join a local reef club. I could meet wherever.