Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2001, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Moorish Idol look-alike

As many people do, I find MIs quite attractive. I do not plan on getting one as I do not have the experience, talent, tank or money to keep one.

I thought I read somewhere that there is a look-alike to a MI. Is this true? What is it and are they any easier to keep?

thanks,
Chris
Old 12/08/2001, 01:15 AM
Moved On

Heniochus acuintus

Heniochus intermedius

more often then not, they are sold simply as "heniochus butterfly" and getting a particular species is difficult. technically, they are bannerfish, not butterflies.

hardy aquarium fish. they need lot's of room. they are open water swimmers in nature. multiples can be kept if added at the same time. do not add to a reef. they feed well on meaty based foods, ie mysis, forula 1, plankton, etc.

HTH

henry
Old 12/08/2001, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

I would keep MI away from nibblers such as Surgeon triggers. Those long dorsal are just too temping for them although non serious, except they may not get chance to grow long.
Old 12/08/2001, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Henry. Unfortunately, you said to key things that will keep me from getting them: a) they need lots of room (I've only got a 125 and it's full with rock and corals) and b) don't add to a reef tank.

thanks though. I may at some point get just a FO tank and then can try them.

-Chris