Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2004, 02:15 AM
Reefer

Sea-swirl on acrylic tank?

I was going to buy a sea-swirl for my return but I saw on their website that they are for glass tanks. It makes no mention of using them on an acrylic tank with a lip. Is anyone out there using one on an acrylic tank?

John F. Kennedy
Old 12/23/2004, 11:54 AM
Reefer

So nobody out there uses a sea-swirl on an acrylic tank?

John F. Kennedy
Old 12/23/2004, 11:59 AM
RC Admin

I did...
I had a hole drilled in the top brace of the tank and the SS dropped right through that hole, then I used silicone sealant to glue the SS box to the top of the tank so it couldn't move. Worked fine for me for a year or so. I took them off recently in lieu of Tunze Streams and a Wavebox.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 12/23/2004, 12:03 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have two sea-swirls on my 180 acrylic, I just removed the clamp that it ships with on the bottom, just several screws which made it flat on the bottom so I could rest them on my tank top. Here is a pic:

Notice them at the top middle part of the tank, again was able to set them flat after removing the attachment on the bottom. I do believe they make a acrylic attachment of some type.
Old 12/23/2004, 12:13 PM
Reefer

Thanks divein4444! Nice tank, by the way.

John F. Kennedy
Old 12/23/2004, 12:21 PM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

I am planning on doing it. I have two (bought used)... 180 should arrive next week (It's really going to be Christmas).

Haven't figured out how to do it, but I'm going to figure out a way.

divine444... what are you using to power those seaswirls?

Dave
Old 12/23/2004, 01:12 PM

No problem, SBGRAD24. Thanks, I have some more pics in my gallery, the livestock has changed since I took those though. dhoch, for my return pump I am using an Iwaki MD70RLT and this pumps is strong, produces alot of movement other than two SEIOs that you can't see in the back behind the rocks I have no other current (pumps or powerheads in the tank). Some might say more is needed, I am thinking about a closed loop sometime. I can get much better pics of the sea-swirls up close if you guys want?
Old 12/23/2004, 01:15 PM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

So you are splitting that between the 2 sea swirls?

I'm getting a 180... Was thinking about using a Mag 18 as a returned split between 2 sea swirls. (another for a non rotating return, and finally a stream (1875 gal version)).

Dave
Old 12/23/2004, 01:26 PM

Yep, split it off several feet from the pump. See the pic below, sorry it's so dark.

On the bottom right is the MD70RLT, with flex PVC out the top (gate valve is there, but wide open all the time) about three feet to the 'T', splits from there into the two 3/4" returns on each side. More than enough flow, also on the SS I added a 'Y' attachment and one extension on each of the 'Ys' head. I get a wider coverage area, 180 degrees and then one of the Ys head is pointing downward the other more towards the surface.
Old 12/24/2004, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Sea Swirls makes an attachment that fits on the bottom of the Sea Swirl for acrylic tanks, this attachment will also work for those of us who have glass tanks with euro bracing which also has the lip similar to acrylic tanks. I don't know where you plan on getting your sea swirls, I believe that only sea swirl has them as I have never seen any of the distruibutors sell them, they have them listed on the bottom of each page that has the diagram and specs of each of the different size sea swirls.
JDT
Old 12/25/2004, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

divein4444- thanks for the idea ! How big did you have to make the holes to get the sea swirl elbow thru? What size are your sea swirls?
Old 12/25/2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
divein4444- thanks for the idea ! How big did you have to make the holes to get the sea swirl elbow thru? What size are your sea swirls?
Hey no problem, I did not have to make any holes (though I was going to use my old return holes), the 3/4" sea swirls sit flatly on the back center lip-edge which comes out about 4" from the side, the elbow arm piece hangs over the side, with about 1" of bottom sea swirl exposed over the water. The water level never goes beyond the top of the elbow. Also, this keeps it high enough that back siphon is less. Merry Christmas.
Old 12/25/2004, 06:07 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

They make an acrylic bracket for the Sea Swirls so that you can attach the unit to an acrylic tank. They actually make two, one that is a straight forward attachment and one that is for a corner attachment. Custom Aquatics sells them both.
The brackets that are already on the Sea Swirl needs to be taken off via four screws and then you attach the acrylic bracket using two screws. Your top brace needs to be greater than 3/8" or you will need to jerry rig something inbetween the bracket and top brace due the screw clamps only tightening so much.
I think the non-corner adapter was $24.
You can also go the DIY way which is to lay down a couple of beads of silicone down, drill two holes on the acrylic top brace, position the unit onto the bead of silicone and run a tie wrap trough the two holes that you have drilled to secure the unit to the top brace. Silicone used so that you can easily peel it off when you decide to remove the Sea Swirls.
Old 12/26/2004, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

I just drilled a hole through the top of my tank. I used a little industrial velcro and stuck each SS to the top. Whenever I need to take it out for cleaning or anything, the velcro makes it nice and simple.
Old 01/15/2005, 06:10 PM
An Obsessed Reef Keeper

I like the velcro idea...
Old 01/16/2005, 12:18 AM
An Obsessed Reef Keeper

I was looking at the attachment for acrylic tanks. Doesn't look all that difficult to make.
Old 01/16/2005, 03:23 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Actually, pretty easy if you can neatly heat up and bend acrylic 180 degrees, drill some holes and attach some nylon screws.
Old 01/16/2005, 12:25 PM
An Obsessed Reef Keeper

That's what I was thinking.... using a hot iron over a cloth-wrapped section of acrylic should do the trick.
Old 01/16/2005, 08:19 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Might be easier if you use a hand held butane torch. You need something that is metal to fold over the acrylic piece after you heat up the area to be bent. Then immerse it in cold water.
Old 01/16/2005, 09:28 PM
An Obsessed Reef Keeper

Direct heat could cause the acrylic to melt or warp out of desired shape before the center is hot enough to safely bend. Using an iron over a cloth-wrapped peice will provide for more even dispersing of the heat, from my experiences anyway...
Old 01/16/2005, 09:34 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

I've seen it done with a low flame at a good distance but your way is good also.
Let me know how it comes out.
Old 01/18/2005, 12:51 AM
An Obsessed Reef Keeper

I'll probably just stick with velcro. If that doesn't hold up, I'll try a DIY bracket.