Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2004, 12:39 AM
Be the valve.

How did you get your username?

I'm curious. How is it that we call ourselves by other names. I'm Del Sandfort, hence dsandfort. Kip Tani is ktani. We are obviously boring with no imagination. I even understand misfit although 6669 is lost on me (last 4 digits of his phone # maybe, number of fingers, fingers, toes and toes?).

How did you come to be the handle you use? Why did you pick it? Does it have some cosmic significance? Is it your mother's maiden name? Do you use it elsewhere or just here?

Come on murfman, loudog, aztecdreams, stormbringer22, to name a few. Where do these come from?

Del
Old 12/03/2004, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Majorwld3

William Lane Douglas III, way too many Douglas's of all names,

Thus I am a retired major, USAR, then my initials.

Lane
Old 12/03/2004, 12:59 AM
Be the valve.

Lane-
I get it!
Much better than mine.
D
Old 12/03/2004, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

my real name is Winifred - I wouldn't dream of using it as a username here or anywhere - hence Winnie83 (my favorite number)
Old 12/03/2004, 01:04 AM
Be the valve.

Why 83?
Old 12/03/2004, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I have no idea
Old 12/03/2004, 01:08 AM
Be the valve.

Well, my full name is Delvin. Maybe I should be delving.
Old 12/03/2004, 01:12 AM
Be the valve.

OK, I think svochuch likes/has/wants a 'stang.
Coloaggi went to CSU.
vypr2002 got bit by a snake 2 years ago.
Am I close?
Old 12/03/2004, 01:15 AM
reef addict

vypr came about from playing aircombat video games when I was in the civil air patrol many years ago.
we were really into topgun at the time and my dogfighting was similar to viper , an instructor at the topgun school.
so they called me vypr since and I have used it since as well.
the 2002 is just because vypr is used everywhere so I use 2002 on the end. also the 2002 is when my son was born
Old 12/03/2004, 01:27 AM
Be the valve.

And here I thought you were a Dodge fan.
D
Old 12/03/2004, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

mine is from the first car I bought --- '72 Olds 442

the engine was a rocket 455 thus rock455
Old 12/03/2004, 01:34 AM
Be the valve.

That's pretty cool.
I could be bug64.
I had a 442 and a goat (65).
Maybe oldgoat65.
D
Old 12/03/2004, 01:35 AM
Premium Member

Originally I was thinking of sushi, but it seemed inappropriate ya know?

I am still wondering where John got his name from though. :-)

Besides, creativity is overrated. Sort of like good health, happiness and friends. The are overrated too. :-)

Kip
Old 12/03/2004, 01:44 AM
Sparticus...Ok Malcolm

I started this hobby when I was 12 so I use the prefix PSEUDO meaning small. Also my favorite fish are pseudochromis

WOW!!! There's Some Rock in my Algae!!!
Old 12/03/2004, 01:47 AM
Toadstool pimp

Freakyreef......Honestly, haven't you EVER seen me at a meeting or frag swap???? If you have, you would understand the Freaky portion...
Old 12/03/2004, 01:49 AM
Be the valve.

Pseudo-
I get the handle. What about the signature?
Maybe I should be bellusboy.
BTW, I started this hobby when my socks were 12.
d
Old 12/03/2004, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

jugger is short for juggernaut from playing UT and TO many years ago online...somehow it just stuck from forum to forum where people recognize me

BTW del how are the clown fry doing??
Old 12/03/2004, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

Mine is because Tanker is a huge vessel or huge anything in water, and 240 is my tank size (old) now it is 300 but I guess I have to keep 240.
Old 12/03/2004, 02:22 AM
"Wise men still seek HIM"

Stormbringer is the best Deep Purple song ever, IMO! Stormbringer became my CB radio handle 20 years ago & I monitor channel 22 on the radio, so here on the board, I'm Stormbringer22.....
Old 12/03/2004, 03:13 AM
Colorado Reefer

Umm... I wonder how I got my name..

I actually have another name that I have been thinking of changing to.. Only time will let me decide if I do it or not.

Kip you could have used KipSushani

Play Halo 2? World of Warcraft? Send me a PM!

John Michael - President RMRC
Old 12/03/2004, 09:57 AM
Just like everyone else..

Hmm, couple of reasons:
1. I used to use different names on Chat rooms, etc. in the mid 90's, then when the Web got big, I kept finding the names I liked, being used. So, onetime I got fed up and put in "Generic" and it worked. Since then, I've continued to use it. Its not used often, and it works well. I'm pretty well know on a lot of car forums, so if you see a Generic, or here about one, its me.

2. Almost everyone I meet looks at me and says "You know I have a friend/uncle/brother/roommate, etc. that looks a lot like you" So I figure I must have pretty Generic features.

Every now and then the names used, so I have to put on my favorite # 42, or if thats used, I go to Gen4200, 420 is not for me.

Murdock

(PS I've been going by Murdock instead of Chris since grade school, too many Chris' in the world)
Old 12/03/2004, 10:10 AM
Got nothing

Part 1: (Misfit) Ok, I know why most of you think I chose Misfit. Though sometimes accurate not why I picked the name. I am a big-time Misfits fan, started listening to them in the early 80's. Not sure why all you guys think I'm such a misfit anyways.

Part 2: (6669) I used to use Misfit69 all the time but more and more people are out there using it so I can't get it all the time. Ok, I know why most of you think I chose 69. Though sometimes accurate not why I picked the name. I was born in 1969. With Misfit69 not being available sometimes, I wanted something a little more original so I could use same for a while. Small chance someone else would come up with Misfit1969 and I think it sounds kinda gay. So Misfit6669 is it.
Old 12/03/2004, 10:13 AM
Got nothing

Hey Murdock, it could be worse. At least they are not saying "You know, I have a girlfriend/aunt/sister/mother, etc. that looks a lot like you.
Old 12/03/2004, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

<----- Because she does.

I usually go by Newt (after a Great Pyranese that I used to have) on most other boards I post on, but that was already taken here at Reef Central.
Old 12/03/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

It's not because of the drink but my last name happens to be Jager. Everytime I meet someone new and introduce myself, they almost always say, "Hey, Jagermeister!" Especially when I was in college!

P.S. The drink's not bad either.