Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2004, 12:50 PM
Registered Member.

The largest aragocrete created.

Just wondering, since a lot of people are testing their skills at creating their own rock sculptures, has anyone tried to make a single rock wall. A single large sculpture with perhaps several varying shapes, caves, and overhangs or something, instead of making several small ones then stacking them.

If so, some pictures would be kewl.
Old 11/02/2004, 12:58 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Just a thought, if one were to do this you would need more than just yourself to put it in the tank...and better have a euro braced tank as well.
Old 11/02/2004, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

You could turn the tank on it's back and build the scupture in the tank piece by piece.
Just make sure that when you turn it back right side up it is structurally sound enough to support it's self.

Don't forget to cure the tank before adding life. You could even make it out of Live Rock

You could also use soemthing like short picecs of 3" PVC to keep the rocks off the bottom. This helps prevent detritus from building up in areas you cant clean.
Making them about an inch taller than your sandbed.
Hope this helps. Don't forget the pics when you start/finish.
Old 11/02/2004, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

I made some rather large pieces for my tank. It's more big pieces of lace rock with agrocrete holding them together and also some made some cool shapes with it as well. My tank is 4' deep so I needed a few good tall pieces to go off of. There are some pics in my gallery but not to many close ups, but if you want to see close ups Ill try to do it tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 11/09/2004, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I just sold my house < built a new one > ... and I had built a 300G inwall reeftank in the basement ( 96W X 34H X 24D ) ... the tank was fiberglass except for the viewing pane. I built a aragrocrete wall for the back and sides using eggcrate.

I put plastic on the concrete floor, lay the eggcrate on top and then poured the aragrocrete mix over that. In a couple days the concrete was cured enough and it just slid right off the plastic ... I built it in panels and cured it in a kiddie pool for 4 months.

I then siliconed it to the back of the tank ... after a few months it was covered in coraline and you could not tell where the panels were seamed ... we moved out of that house just last week and the new owner is going to use it for a FOWLR setup ( I moved the reef into a temporary 270G glass tank till I build a replacement )

So if that is what you had in mind it worked real well for the few years we had it running ... it is crawling with life just like regular live rock