Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2004, 06:01 PM
Fragaholic

October, November, December events

In October we will be participating in the MARS frag swap on 10/16. If people need to carpool perhaps they could start a separate thread to arrange that.
November 13 will be a DIY demo meeting at 1 pm at Tropical Paradise. I will be building an acrylic overflow ala Calfo-BOCP1
and Rich will build a moonlight LED lighting system. Both items (tank w/ overflow and lighting system) will be raffled at end of meeting along with whatever else we come up with.
December 11th will be our first ever holiday party/potluck at Tropical Paradise at 1 pm. Along with the general partying will be a roundtable discussion and Q&A of issues facing newcomers to our hobby. This is the time to ask those questions you've been saving up.
Cheers and see you there!-Jim
Old 09/30/2004, 02:52 PM
Huey Freeman 4 President!

Where will the MARS frag swap be held?
Old 09/30/2004, 03:09 PM
Fragaholic

Pams' house

Somewhere on the MARS forum there is a post about it.
If you can't find it try their website.
I think it's listed under their name before you click into their forum.-Jim
Old 09/30/2004, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Where will the MARS frag swap be held?

jpizzle pm pam (budgetyourself on the boards) she is the host she will give you the 411.
she lives in dixon.
i hope to see alot of bar reefers there!
shawn
Old 09/30/2004, 04:47 PM
Huey Freeman 4 President!

thanks a lot for the info
Old 09/30/2004, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpizzle
thanks a lot for the info
see you there!

here is a link for info on the frag swap!
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=426504
the frag swap is free to those that belong to a local marine society. with the exception being $3 for lunch. you are welcome to join any of the clubs the day of the swap.
mars memberships are $20 for the year.
www.marineaquarist.org
Old 09/30/2004, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I want to join BAR, but to get frags, I have to join MARS also? Or, I can just join BAR and I can swap frags. Also, how much to join BAR?
Old 10/01/2004, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JsL30629
I want to join BAR, but to get frags, I have to join MARS also? Or, I can just join BAR and I can swap frags. Also, how much to join BAR?
yes, just joining bar will get you in.
Old 10/01/2004, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

bar
Membership Fees:
Single: $20 per year
Family: $30 per year
Dues will be collected at club meetings
DUES are optional for members of other Bay Area Reef clubs through October 2004!
http://www.stickycricket.com/aquarium/barmembership/
Old 10/25/2004, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

is there any clubs that are a little north of SF say around the Eureka area??
Old 10/28/2004, 05:31 PM
Fragaholic

don't know but...

You may be closer to SEABAYS meeting spot in Palo Alto than to our East Bay locations.
SEABAY has a forum here on RC under salt water enthusiasts of the bay area. -Jim
Old 11/28/2004, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Anyon have a picture of the overflow box or the moonlight that was built? I'd love to see what they look like. BTW - I am going to join MARS. If I join MARS, do I need to join BAR to participate in BAR activities. I am fortunate that I live betweeen where MARS and Bar usually have their activities. :-D
Old 11/28/2004, 02:36 PM
Fragaholic

Some, not all

Some of the BAR stuff will be open to some or all of the other local club members. Some (mostly group buys and DIY's ) will be members only. -Jim
Old 12/14/2004, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

I had a question about membership fees. Even though my girlfriend is mildly into the hobby (because of me), would I have to buy her a membership in addition to mine so I could take her along to meetings, frag swaps, etc.? ^^;
Old 12/14/2004, 12:21 PM
Fragaholic

definition of "family"

BAR considers any people living together to be a family. However, 2 single memberships would get you 2 picks instead of 1 at the swap.-Jim
Old 12/14/2004, 04:04 PM
Resident physicist.

Ah ha! I knew there was some sort of loophole fixer for the # of picks you get at swaps. Someone mentioned bringing their girlfriend or wife to get multiple picks and I was wondering about that. But good 1 pick per membership.
Old 12/14/2004, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the clarification, but at present, we were planning on simply picking one together. I'm assuming that we'd still have to have separate memberships or a family one in order for me to bring her along, correct?
Old 12/14/2004, 08:08 PM
Resident physicist.

Oh yah you can bring all significant others, friends, entourage, bodyguards, laywers, and tax accountants you feel you'd be more comfortable with
They just don't get to pick a coral
Old 12/14/2004, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Gotcha, that helps clarify things. Thanks.
Old 12/15/2004, 06:45 PM
Resident physicist.

Quote:
Originally posted by Soujirou
Gotcha, that helps clarify things. Thanks.
Ok sorry, I need to recorrect myself. It just occured to me that I may have been too hasty with with "Sure bring whomever you want" view. While there are certainly some BAR events that are truely public, bring the whole crowd, type things. I think certain events that are being hosted at private companies (ie the upcoming swap) may want to have some restrictions on who exactly comes. Simply for the fact from the looks of it this swap might be quite crowded. And being as the company (which I can't recall the acronym for the life of me now.. ASAP?) is being gracious enough to donate their space for our event, it might be equally gracious on our part to keep the additional 'guests' to a minimum if they are not going to participate in the swap. Now while I'm sure no one is going to kick you out if you bring your girlfriend or you don't have a babysitter for the kids, but might want to not make it a complete family event, that is unless you have a family membership.

Again this thing might be quite large. So if everyone brought their significant other/friends you're going to increase that largeness that much more. Plus if memory serves the conference room (assuming that's where the swap will be) is nicely carpeted, and having that many feet tracking dirt and who knows what on it just means that much more cleaning as a result, the place it's going to be at is a wholesaler so it's not like they're getting any business out of it.

Sorry for the confusion I may of put out, and I apologize for being a bit too hasty with my quick reply.. just school let out and I'm bored so I tend to reply to everything
Old 12/15/2004, 06:53 PM
Fragaholic

Thumbs up good points

This thing is already looking huge!
Certainly it's never been an issue in the past when all the swaps were in the TP driveway but the club has grown.
Also there seem to be 3 "types" of meetings/events that BAR is holding:
1. public-bring your friends, family, neighbor, mail carrier etc...
(example-holiday potluck)
2. Club events- open to members of all local clubs
(example-the swap)
3. BAR only events-open to BAR members only
(example-Steinhart behind the scenes tour)
Thx-Jim
Old 12/15/2004, 06:54 PM
Pod, snail & worm breeder

Shouldn't you be doing something with your tank with all your free time Mike? It'd keep ya from getting bored...

(BTW, I have refreshed the myreefcentral.com page and jumped on every post I could every 10 minutes today. Slow day at work and man am I bored)

My real reason for posting is to try an see if anyone had done any form of head count for the frag swap in January. Are there any preliminary #s yet? It's just that I don't do well in large crowds. I get kinda sea sick. The walls start spinning, I get all pasty and white and sweat... Actually that's not true I am just curious as to what the turn out will be.

Also, I wanted to ask the powers that be if anyone knew when my membership was up for renewal.
Old 12/15/2004, 07:01 PM
Resident physicist.

True Daniel, I got enough PVC pipe and elbows/tees that I could build a nice return with multiple jets from the refugium, only issue is last time I tried the pump (quietone 3000 I think) it pushed water into the tank faster than the overflow could pull it out, although maybe enough bends and stuff will add just enough backpressure to stop that. maybe I'll get that done sometime today
Old 12/15/2004, 07:01 PM
Fragaholic

Talking nope and nope

I don't know how many people will actually be there. I'm at the point now where I hope it isn't over 100 but it may be. 5 clubs, a couple of wholesalers, couple of retailers... should be busy. Anyway I'll have a PA and mic so I'll be easy to hear.
Anthony -73 charger fan- is in charge of the roster. Just PM him.-Jim
Old 12/15/2004, 07:09 PM
Pod, snail & worm breeder

Thanks Jim. Wow, that sure is a lot of people.

Mike, ya know... If you have all that free time I am sure people like myself could farm out stuff we don't have time to do. I could sure use a closed loop for christmas. Trade you some green star polyps for it. :P