Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2004, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

New Anemone - Help!

I finally took the plunge and got a RBTA last weekend. After properly acclimating it to the new tank, I placed it near the top of the tank to ensure it's got enought light. Fed it some krill the first evening and everything looked good.

During the first name, it moved to the left corener on the back of the tank behind the skimmer inlet. I figured I'd leave it there for a while hoping it would move back to the LR. It wouldn't - so I took some advice from another board and held some icecubes from the outside against the foot to detach it. Worked like a charm and placed it on another spot. It seemed to be quite happy there and didn't move around too much. Fed it a silverside, it chewed on it for about 30 minutes, but ultimately spit it out.

Last night, it moved behind the LR into an area with almost no light at all and sits there partially inflated.

I changed the directions of my powerheads (direct flow, indirect flow, adjusted gph). Water parameters are on the spot. Light is about 8 watts/gallon PC.

Any ideas? Should I move it again or just wait it out?
Old 08/17/2004, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

oops

Last edited by reefy_joe; 08/17/2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08/17/2004, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
Im sure someone with more experience can tell you more about whats going on, but from what I understand, the anenome needs time to acclimate to your tank. Sometimes they will hide at first. It could be for hours or days. Its probably best to leave it alone, unless its in danger from a powerhead or something. When I got mine, it stayed right where I dropped for a little less than a week. Then it started moving around. It went way behind the big rock in the back. Finally, after about a day it began extending itself from behind the rock to get some light (and food!) IMO, they are pretty "smart" and if its hiding, it has a reason. I know its nerve racking, but be patient. Hope this helps.
Old 08/17/2004, 05:40 PM
Moved On

Maybe this will help you out,http://home.att.net/~karenssaltwater/wsb/index.html