Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/19/2004, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Little Anemones Raise Concern

Hi Dr. Ron!
I attained some live rock yesterday from a local reef club member that was breaking his tank down. Once I got it home and into my tank I notice several anemones on some of the pieces. They definately are not Aptasia and from the pictures I have found on Majano I can't really conclude anything yet.

I'm concerned since several people have posted in the General Forum that they believe they are Mojano.

Please let me know what you think from the pictures below. The first are a goup in a high flow area. The latter is of the same type but in a low flow area with the tentacles inflated. There is also a larger photo of the base in my gallery HERE.

If you need a different shot of these or from a different angle let me know and I'll reshoot for you. The water was a little murky after the initial setup yesterday.

Thanks!!!

Old 07/19/2004, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry, I can't either confirm or deny that these are majanos. The images just don't show the animals clearly enough. They do give the general appearance of majanos, but I need to clearly see the tentacles (both their shape and arrangement).

Sorry.
Old 07/19/2004, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response!

Since I haven't started to arrange the rock just the way I want, I'll isolate them where I can get a better shot. But, it seems the general concenses all around from the General Forum and now your very-educated guess leads me to beleive I should erradicate.

But, I will post a better picture tonight just incase we have something not so common.
Old 07/19/2004, 10:32 AM
Professional somedays

I have those in my tank currently. They will move throughout your rocks and when they find a place stop and kill whatever they are on.