Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2004, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

920 Gph

I am now flipping the tank aprox 24 times per hour. I have two Maxi Jet 900 at 230 gph. One Power Sweep 214 at 160 GPH and the return pump at about 300 GPH after adjusting for head. Does all this calculate right. I figure with 13 gallon in the sump and the displacement from the rock I have aprox 42 to 45 gallon of water in the tank.

AvianArt.net
Old 07/18/2004, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

I always recommend 20 to 30 times for SPS tanks. So you are right in the ball park. I have a 29 gallon soft coral tank: I have about 21 times an hour and the corals love it.
Old 07/19/2004, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think you can have too much for most sps corals(within reason of course). I just ordered two eductors to go in my tank on a SCWD. I am hoping I will get enough flow that I can do without the big homemade reeftec thingy since I doubt it will last much longer. I doubted how well an eductor would work until I saw one in action at Fishey Business last weekend. The guy working there let me feel the difference in flow with and without it. It was at least 4 or 5 times more with the eductor.
Old 07/19/2004, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I was so tired when I typed that note. I was asking if my math was right...ooops.

AvianArt.net
Old 07/19/2004, 10:22 PM
Catch and release

Reewik,
22 times an hour. That's pretty good. Your tank obviously likes it.
Michael,
Very curious to see how the eductors work. I have seen a little on them. Heard people say they removed their sandbed to use them though.

As most of you know people are really pushing the envelope with the flow thing. I have seen several people here on RC with over 60X turnover. These rates are mostly due to the streams though I think. FWIW my new 90 will have about 25X's turnover and I might increase that but we'll see.
thanks, Chris