Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2004, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

ppe's for sold for over $800

this cant be true . i think someone is playing games to increase the market value of this zoanthid. nobody could possible pay 0ver $800 dollors for 6 ppe.s.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1
is this what things have come to. i would love to have some but that is way out of my budget. good luck to the high bidder. what is everyone else's ideas on this.
Old 06/20/2004, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

That is the highest I have seen em go for. I saw one ebay auction that had a frag 2"x1.5"of electric blues go for $611.
And another auction for 4 ppe's go for$341.
One online vendor put some ppe's on ebay with the statement that they were trying to help bring the price down by putting their stock out there. If that was the real reson why do a auction. Just put a price on them and let everybody have a chance, not the deepest pockets.IMO.
Old 06/20/2004, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

If I was to pay $800 for a frag that size, I better get $750 back in change LOL.
Old 06/20/2004, 05:59 PM
Moved On

Same person bought some safecracker reds for almost $200. Guess they like zoas
Old 06/20/2004, 06:18 PM
Original Zen Cube

Reefkeeping has been hard on my marriage but that would finish it off. If I spent $861 on two little pieces of tile, she would take the kids and leave...
I've never seen a seller on ebay list their feedback as "private" before. Wonder why they don't want others to read the comments? Looks like its all been positive though.
Old 06/20/2004, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Wow. I almost sold that much in a week. That's about 12 or 15 customers there, in 6 polyps.

About the person selling them, well Mom told me to keep my feedback private, if I couldn't say anything nice.
Old 06/20/2004, 11:06 PM
Moved On

I definately feel like PPE's have received some serious hype in the past few years. Are they really even purple under 10,000k mh's? I have seen some much prettier zoos go for a lot less. Just my 2 cents. I could buy so many corals for $800 or I could make a nice down payment on my next tank: 240 starphire. hehe
Old 06/21/2004, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

I keep mine under 10,000k MH and they are definitely a deep purple with bright green center and tentacles. I agree that they are overhyped and therefore overpriced, but unfortunately that sometimes happens in this hobby (blue tort, purple monster). They are nice though, the green absolutely glows under actinic only. Like I said, nice, but I have many other color morphs that I prefer over them.

I also would like to point out that the rare "ballooning effect" that has been mentioned about them in other threads or shown in certain pictures, is not unique to PPE's. Any of the palythoas that I have, (PPE's included) will TEMPORARILY take on this shape when disturbed. (i.e. removing detritus around them by blowing a turkey baster). They are shaped like any other zoo/paly all the rest of the time.

Now, please excuse me while I go set up an e-bay sellers account.... just kidding.
Old 06/21/2004, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Rob what is this suposed to mean....."About the person selling them, well Mom told me to keep my feedback private, if I couldn't say anything nice."

Just wondering....I know Will has given some blues away to club memebers. He didnt set a price that is just what people were willing to pay for such corals....

Just some thoughts.

William
Old 06/21/2004, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

The ballooning effect is common in several types of protopalythoa. The PPE's and others (I have some that do it) will do it spontaneously. I've had customers call to excitedly tell me, "They're doing it!"

Here's a link:
Old Protopalythoa Listing

They're neat, but not $800+ neat, well at least not to the average funded hobbiest.
Old 06/21/2004, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

I'll PM you William.
Old 06/21/2004, 07:42 AM
m0derated

Saddest part is that after this guy spent $800 on them, somebody somewhere probably picked some up from their LFS for $10 not knowing that they're so sought after.
Old 06/21/2004, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

LOL, you're probably right Sloth.
Old 06/21/2004, 07:53 AM
Seamonkey on my back

i had a big ol' patch i sold for $25 just before
blane made them famous.

Rick
Old 06/21/2004, 08:12 AM
m0derated

Quote:
Originally posted by RicksReefs
i had a big ol' patch i sold for $25 just before
blane made them famous.
Maybe that was them on Ebay
Old 06/21/2004, 08:24 AM
Seamonkey on my back

well for the size of that $800 patch,
i musta sold, hmm, about $26,000 worth.

Rick
Old 06/21/2004, 09:12 AM
Moved On

At this rate, you need to call Lloyd's of London and seek insurance on 4 polyps
Old 06/21/2004, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

That's crazy!!! My car only cost $1500. I wish I was a rich reefkeeper!
Old 06/21/2004, 02:42 PM
Seamonkey on my back

heck, if you have the cash & you want it, go for it.
free market economics at it's finest.

Rick
Old 06/21/2004, 03:53 PM
Huey Freeman 4 President!

Some idiots just don't know the value of money. I saw the ebay auction as well before it ended.. I think that's just sad.
Old 06/21/2004, 04:19 PM
Original Zen Cube

I agree that some people seem to live in a completely different world than we do. Having said that, if I had a colony of PPEs I'd probably be sharpening my razor blade right about now .
I can't relate to the buyer but it's tough to fault the seller for accepting over $800 for six polyps - I probably would too.
Old 06/21/2004, 04:27 PM
Professional somedays

I can't believe that they are up to 800, when I was bidding on them they ended up out of my range at 250.... and a yr ago they were 20 bucks.

The PPE look alikes, I have some of those in my tank, but they aren't that beautiful purple...

Also, does anyone think that the name has the price going up?? I noticed alot of expensive frags usually have a catchy name to them.
Old 06/21/2004, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

There was a HUGE LONG thread on the SPS forum about the purple monster and people paying hundreds of dollars for very very small frags.

I guess a coral is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Now $800 for the 2 frags of Zoos is A LOT of money to pay for them and I wouldnt pay that much....but more power to someone that can pay $800 for a coral, I would LOVE to see his tank!!!!

Oh, well.....

William
Old 06/21/2004, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, they are nice, but I bet the buyer was after the bonus gorgonian!
Old 06/21/2004, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Some people spend $1000 on wheels and tires when they could spend $400. Some golfers spend thousands on golf clubs.... and some people buy corals and reef equipment........

Everybody decides to spend money on their passion differently.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how and where to spend their own hard earned money. Just like some people spend $20,000 on a car and some spend $80,000. Some people's homes don't cost as much as some people's cars.

There has been a lot of interest and commentary regarding this auction both positive and negative (not all of which is on this particular forum). I don't think a particular "name" had anything to do with the price (or for some maybe it did).

I know that to reefers who buy rare fish, $861 is not out of the question. Gem tangs just sold at Roozens in Maryland for $800 and they were 1" (and not in the best of health). Conspic Angels sell for $1500 - $2400 depending on where you buy them. Rare clownfish pairs can rise high on the price list also. Marine depot's rare list seems to always have an item over $1 K and the fish are rarely over 2".

Well - it seems to each his own. I only wish the best for others in this hobby. Be it seller or buyer. It seems that if everyone is happy with a sale then its a good transaction for both. Regardless if I think that the oregon tort isn't for me - I clap when someone who really wants it gets one.

I wish everyone the kind of happiness my tanks bring me. I hope you are able to obtain the things you wish for and work for whether I agree with your choices or not.

emerson