Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2004, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Contacting Deltec Calcium reactor Users!!

Hi everyone! I'm looking to get in contact with anyone that might lead to to a phone number!! My Deltec calcium reactor is broken and I need a phone number in germany to call! I beleive this is where they are made. If anyone can help I would appreciate it highly!!

Salsaking "Seattle"
Old 05/20/2004, 06:52 PM
RC Mod

You might try contacting this guy,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/me...o&userid=11481

I understand he knows a bit about Deltec,

Agu
Old 05/20/2004, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Salsaking,

where did you buy your Deltec???? What broke on the reactor???? I have heard of several breakdowns on the reactors and was wondering what wrong on yours.

thanks,
Old 05/20/2004, 07:38 PM
RC Sponsor

Salsa...

you have a pm

Doug
Old 05/21/2004, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

don't bother calling the number to england. i've called them and left two messages and still on par for this company no return phone call.
Old 05/22/2004, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Deltec

Maybe your calling the wrong person!! I got a message from someone on this board and within a day I was talking to one of the owners of Deltec! I think he was very helpfull and professional! They know there stuff! I will be forever gratefull to whom I talked to recently. You guys know who you are.

Salsaking

Eric
Old 05/22/2004, 05:10 PM
Moved On

Eric, I recently bought a Deltec product without any problems whatsoever & I was receiving calls from the Deltec president checking to see if everything was alright And in addition to Doug's[1diverdown] follow-up Bob
Old 05/22/2004, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

i have asked doug to call me several times and he will not return my call. i have spoke with david saxby the owner of deltec and have left two messages with the home based deltec company in europe to please call me again and still no call. i have asked sean miller who is the US importerfor deltec to david saxby return my call but still no call. all this for two messely bags of media! i would think if you are spending nine hundred dollars on a calcium reactor you could atleast get customer service to go with it.
Old 05/22/2004, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

My experiences with Deltec have been horrible as well. They leave you hanging in the wind w/o any return calls. For the price they are charging the prez should be calling to follow up. Deltec products do work well but, the customer service is terrible.
Old 05/23/2004, 12:13 AM
RC Mod

Jeff aka NAGA,

Is it true you at one time sold "grey market" deltec equipment ? Is it also true you could not provide customer support for the european versions of Deltec equipment you sold because you weren't an authorized distributor?

Your post history would indicate substantial experience with Deltec, please divulge the source of that experience.

Agu
Old 05/23/2004, 01:15 AM
Wire Doc

Hey, where's my call from the prez, i have a couple of deltec life support equipment, lol.
Old 05/23/2004, 08:58 AM
Moved On

Yes, Agu, on another thread, This NAGA guy was found importing used & not U.S. electrically converted European Deltec skimmers. Of course, he is not an authorized Deltec dealer, but expected Deltec U.S. to supply parts for same. Once Deltec U.S. caught wind of his scheme, they refused to supply said parts as he would be competing with AUTHORIZED Deltec dealers, who must go thru extensive training of the Deltec product line to say nothing of their initial, considerable expense in supplying the Deltec line, Bob
Old 05/23/2004, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Agu,

the words/phrase "grey market" & "copy" have been used a lot with regards to the Deltec products I have come upon. I have purchased GENUINE Deltec equpment from Germany that was used NOT new. I have done this with other aquarium equipment as well and have gotten some wonderful equipment. Whether it's Tunze, H&S, Deltec, Gro Tech, or what have you one could expect to be able to get support even if you bought it in Tim-buck-two. With other companies (some mentioned) I have been able to get support from them in getting parts or to have questions answered. Their belief is that it is their product and if someone has a question or needs a part for it they don't need a birth certificate to prove they bought it at a authorized dealer. A lot of equipment for our tanks is bought used from person to person and always if that equipment needs something to be repaired or aquestion asked it's never a problem to get that from the company who makes it or represents it. Again, the analogy I use referencing my experience is:

If you buy a USED BMW over in Germany and bring it over here or even have it shipped over here and you see that you need a windshield wiper motor or a gear shift knob, you would expect to be able to order those and get them.

The people who represent Deltec here in the U.S have been poor with both saying when they can deliver products and very poor in returning phone calls. I know that for one example they were to have a website up back in December initially and then it never appeared. They now of course are using the UK website which has their contact information on it but, they never had their U.S. website up. Others have mentioned this same difficulty when dealing with Deltec. For the price their equipment costs one would expect a much more professional level of service.

I personally think the Deltec equipment is good equipment in terms of it's performance. My experience is only with their protein skimmers but, they do perform well although not for the price they are. Would I suggest that someone go plunk down 3500.00 on a protein skimmer when so many other companies offer equipment that is as good or better, CHEAPER, and offer much better customer support????? NO!
Old 05/23/2004, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Aged Salt as in the past and getting some of his information 3rd hand is not accurate with what he states. There was not any scheming and it is inaccurate to say there was.

I did indeed buy (or as Aged Salt likes to use "import")used Deltec protein skimmer from Germany from a private owner not a dealer.........that is true.

I did indeed inform Deltec reps that I bought a used protein skimmer to try out from Germany and that it was going to be here in a week.

When I received the protein skimmer from Germany it had an impeller that was damaged in one of the pumps.

I asked the Deltec rep if he could get me an impellar to replace the one that was partially damaged and he said YES!! I also asked if I could get the auto-washdown equipment for it as well and he said, YES!! but, they would have to be ordered because they did not have any in stock.

About two weeks elapsed and I called to check on the status of the impellar replacement and the auto-washdown and was told by the rep that it was due on the next shipment in another two weeks.

That time elapsed and I contacted the rep again after about two week when I did not get the call I expected and he stated that it would be a little longer and he would have to check into where it was.

Again, after about two weeks without any return calls I made contact with the rep and it was at that point he stated that he received an angry response from the distributor in FL. He stated that the distributor in FL. NOW has made NEW policy that they would not supply any parts for a Deltec product that they did not sell here in the U.S. They said that I would have to ship it back to Germany to the factory to replace the impellar in the Eheim pump. Anyone want to ship a BMW back to Germany to be fixed???? I was also told that I would have to buy the auto-washdown set up from Germany as well.

So after being told that it was not a problem 2.5 months goes buy they come up with a new policy. Basically it comes down to the fact that the FL. distributor got ****ed off that I did not buy from them. The rep said he could get the part for the skimmer but, the distributor because they didn't sell it won't supply parts for it although it was a Deltec product. Have this happen to any dozen distributors here in the U.S. for German made products and they won't have a problem selling you a part. Deltec equipment is extremely expensive and I found a way to get that "BMW" cheaper buy buying it used. I wasn't importing these things to the U.S to compete.... and was trying to get a good protein skimmer to use on my tank to improve it.......... but, it was not professional to tell someone that they would get you that part and then later come up with a new policy.
Old 05/23/2004, 10:13 AM
RC Sponsor

Jeff Haddock (aka NAGA) has taken it upon himself to attack the good name of Deltec USA. This occurred because Jeff attempted to import used European manufactured Deltec products for resale, and then was upset when Deltec USA would not provide US conversion parts. Apparently what Jeff did not know was that the European units, including the Eheim pumps and impellers that Deltec uses, are completely different from the US versions. The pumps are taken apart and re-machined at the Deltec factory in Germany to accommodate US spec plumbing. It is not just a matter of swapping European pumps/parts etc for off-the-shelf US ones since they simply will not fit. Unfortunately this did not stop Jeff from selling these imported units to unsuspecting RC members here in the US after he attempted unsuccessfully to modify them.

D-Deltec Aquarium Solutions (the exporter/majority share holder of Deltec Europe) is, for obvious reasons, against the import and sale of "grey market"/modified units in the US.
Please do not allow Jeff's anger over his failed attempt at circumventing the proper distribution channels to color your opinion of Deltec's superior product.

Although I have refused to engage in the sort of public mud-slinging that has gone on up to this point, if it continues I will gladly start providing specifics. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via PM or email.

thanks
Doug
Old 05/23/2004, 10:14 AM
Moved On

NAGA, now the story changes again. Didn't you import more than one skimmer & didn't you , in fact, try to sell these? Really no need to reply as the answers continually change. It's getting tuff trying to keep your stories straight, isn't it Bob
Old 05/23/2004, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Again, not accurate,

conversion parts I was not looking to get. I was simply looking for a replacement part for the impellar that was damaged. In addition try the auto-washdown feature as well. The simple fact was that I bought a used skimmer that was as Doug mentioned a Deltec skimmer from Germany and I told him where I got it from and never was it mentioned at that point that that was something that was a problem. It was not for the purpose of resale and because an opportunity to get a larger one came I have since sold one and have gotten another one (AP1004) with the first one being a smaller model. Fortunately this one does not need any parts and is in good working order. Although I have had inquiries to by this skimmer I have not and as it stands now I plan on retaining it. Doug's statement that the purpose of getting these skimmers for resale is ridiculous. Although many people buy and sell used equipment on a regular basis this was certainly not the purpose of getting a Deltec skimmer from Germany. As previoulsly mentioned the pumps are indeed of the European variety although the impellars are exactly the same. The pumps themselves have a metric fitting on them that is fastened to the pumps. Having seen both and comparing them it is the only difference. The rest of the skimmer is identicle in every respect. Obviously the U.S. Deltec folks are easily threatened with someone buying two genuine Deltec product used from Germany. Man............I'm gonna flood the market What Doug didn't mentioned in his post was that he did say he could get the part for me and then as my previous post stated later changed the policy. As far as going toe-to-toe with this and keeping it going............I will keep up with the bestof 'em...........so bring it. There are others who's experience with Deltec has been less than stellar and has been posted on other threads. Like them I have posted my experiences with Deltec and to inform any who are interested with those experiences.
Old 05/23/2004, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I was planning to get a Deltech Calcium reator, but after hearing several accounts from people who own the Deltech products, their support system is just as bad if not worst than their graftmanship. I would rather spend my money to support the good old USA made products, such as Myreefcreations.com or Reeftek.com.
-A
Old 05/24/2004, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Deltec is the best reactor our there no question.

Relax people! It's just a calcium reactor! Not your child dying! Let's put it all in prespective. No reason for anyone to get hostile here. Patience and understanding will go much further. People will call back, and things will get fixed. I think Doug and David Saxby helped my issue very quickly and proffessionaly. Thank you gentleman.

Salsaking