Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/19/2004, 07:38 PM
Catch and release

Talking System Go!

Hey everyone,
I have now been given the official go ahead to upgrade my 75 sumpless sps to a RR 90. So now I am looking for everyones input and suggestions. Here is what I am thinking about so far:

tank- 90 gallon AGA RR

sump- DIY made with 30 gallon tank

return pump- Mag 9.5

skimmer- currently leaning towards a my reef MR-1 in sump with a
Mag12 pump but also considering a euroreef CS6-1 or lifereef

closed loop- with ? pump (need some ideas on this one)

sandbed- debating between 1" or 2" of Caribsea aragonite

Any and all input is greatly aprechiated. I have been reefing for 3 yrs and keeping fish most of my life but this will be my first tank with a sump so I need all the help I can get. Feel free to make suggestions on any part of the setup mentioned or not mentioned.

Thanks in advance for the help, Chris
Old 05/19/2004, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Hey Chris,
Sound like a plan.
If you want a cheap reliable external pump for your closed loop that will do 1190 gph. I recommend a gen-x mak4. They are fan cooled and they never added any heat to my systems as far as I could tell. I ran these pumps in my greenhouse and basement farm and never had a problem. I also ran these on my own tanks and again never a problem. Premium Aquatics is selling them for $119.95.
I would not recommend mag drives externally because they have a reputation for leaking.

If you need any help putting the closed loop together let me know and I would be happy to help you.

Here is a link to PA

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...gory_Code=MAK4
Old 05/19/2004, 10:02 PM
Catch and release

Thanks Joe, I will need help with the closed loop. I've been sitting here planning it and I allready have numerous questions.
Chris
Old 05/20/2004, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

wow congrats chris ...sounds like a sweet project. let me know if i can do anything to help
Old 05/20/2004, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

What sounds better is for you to just start over and I will take the tank you have now! That would include all your corals.

I like the 30 gallon idea for a sump, you may want to look at a 30 long. The key to the sump is to make sure that when you turn off the pump the back siphon does not cause a flood. This is accomplished by drilling a hole at the surface of the water on the return line.

I am in the market for a new skimmer so post some info. Mine is on a 42 but I want it to have room to grow.

AvianArt.net

Last edited by reewik; 05/20/2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05/20/2004, 09:06 AM
Truth Seeker

Congrats. I added a closed loop to my upgrade a few months ago. Mine is a slightly bigger upgrade so the pump I elected to use will be too big (Ampmaster 300). I used a mak-4 on my old syatem (110gal) to run my skimmer and found it a tad on the noisy side.

I currently have an Iwaki 40rlt on my skimmer. Noise was a big factor for me so I was reluctant at first but I liked the idea of having a pressure rated pump on the skimmer.

If you have alot of elbows or long ft/ head consider the pressure rated pumps.

Did you consider using a smaller mag-drive for the loop ?

I am a big fan of the dsb for several reasons. Will help stabilize new tank which is vital for the livestock. I'd do 3"+

Good Luck !
Old 05/20/2004, 04:38 PM
Catch and release

Jason,
Thanks

Eric,
I will keep you updated on the skimmer. You can check out the MR-1 at www.myreefcreations.com It's a little big for your tank, it's rated for 175 gallons, but not for that other tank you have hmmmmmmmm.........

Dan,
Thanks for the info. I would love to use a mag for the loop but they aren't recommended for external use.
Old 05/20/2004, 04:45 PM
Hawaiian Sunset

Chris:
How quick is this going to happen, I may have come across a complete system (hood, tank, stand sump) that will be very reasonably priced (it's a 125), I'll know for sure in a week or so. I'll keep you in mind and updated.

Rick
Old 05/20/2004, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

uh oh... Chris has wheels spinning and the wife has smoke rising!!!!

Thanks, I wil ck it out. I was considering a Euroreef also

AvianArt.net
Old 05/20/2004, 07:20 PM
REEF MEDIC

Hi Chris For the Skimmer I'm going to have to suggest Lifereef. Jeff will be willing to work with you to get the exact skimmer for your new setup And you can't beat that 5 year warrenty and self cleaning venturi

" And my Wife Believed me when I said this Hobby would cost around $300"
Old 05/20/2004, 07:57 PM
Catch and release

Thanks Diel

Eric,
FWIW from all the research I've done I don't think you could go wrong with an MRC, Euroreef or Lifereef. I am leaning towards MRC because it is a good high end skimmer for a good price.

Rick,
Thanks, I might be interested in parts(the sump especially or pumps) but I have been limited to a 90 gallon. My wife forbid me to get any bigger tanks until I'm done with school( and she's right, I really don't have time for what I have now). "Honey, it's not really any bigger it's just taller" :-)

thanks, Chris
Old 05/20/2004, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Chris and I look forward to seeing your new tank all set up. Do you plan a different aquascape in this tank or have you thought that far ahead yet. I will also be willing to help you if needed.

AvianArt.net
Old 05/20/2004, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Chris,
Are you going to have the new tank setup before the meeting at your house in June?
Old 05/21/2004, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

I will slave for you if you need me. I've moved my tank at least 5 times and am in the middle of my second double upgrade. Give me a call if you need any help.
Old 05/21/2004, 08:54 AM
Catch and release

Thanks guys for all the help offers. I definately might take yall up on them since my wife is pregnant and hurt her back a couple of weeks ago(she'd much better now). Unfortunately I won't have the tank setup by our meeting. That just seems too much like pushing it. I may have the plans worked out and stuff ordered by then though. I am trying to take my time and get everything just like I want it and it needs to be. I'm new to the sump/closed loop stuff and for myself I need to understand it inside and out before I put it in my living room.
thanks, Chris
Old 05/21/2004, 08:56 AM
Catch and release

I will be forced to have a different aquascape because of the location of the overflow. That's another thing I'm working on.
thanks again, Chris
Old 05/21/2004, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, definately take your time and do it like you want it. I wish I had gotten my tank drilled but it was a rush job(moving into new house) and it didn't happen.
Old 05/24/2004, 08:24 PM
Catch and release

Well I made my first purchases today. I bought a MR-1 skimmer with a mag 12 pump and a gen-xpcx40(Mak 4) pump for my closed loop. I got them both from Andy at My Reef Creations.
Chris
Old 05/25/2004, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Fishdoc
What or where is My Reef Creations? Is this a new LFS in the area?
kev
Old 05/25/2004, 12:24 PM
Catch and release

www.myreefcreations.com

They are in Georgia and make skimmers, sumps, calcium reactors etc... They have a very good rep and Andy was very helpfull.
Chris
Old 05/25/2004, 01:44 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

where in georgia?
Old 05/25/2004, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Got this off the "contact us" page.

My Reef Creations
135 Stanley Court Suite 110
Lawrenceville, GA 30045
PHONE: (678) 407-3773
FAX: (678) 407-3272