Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/14/2004, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Warmer season...any boaters

With the season warming up, just wanted to know if there are any other boaters or watersport enthusiast out there?

...besides reefin, it's just another way to enjoy H2O!

Lets see some or your pix of your PWC (Personal Water Craft), Boat, Wakeboard, Water Skiing, Innertube etc...
Old 05/14/2004, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I don't have a picture right now but we are going out to the lake Memorial weekend and taking a 400HP jet boat, MasterCraft ski boat, and bass boat, and about 4 jet ski's. It should be afun weekend. The jet boat will run around 85 MPH. It's fun to see all the people who think they have a fast boat try and run w/ it.
Old 05/14/2004, 12:46 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Warm season? Where? This morning it was 28 with a wind chill of 16 degrees F. 150 miles northwest of here, 12 inches of snow fell on Wednesday.
Old 05/14/2004, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Warm season? Where? This morning it was 28 with a wind chill of 16 degrees F. 150 miles northwest of here, 12 inches of snow fell on Wednesday.
I know what you are talking about. I worked in North Dakota on a sulphur plant in October one year. The day I left it was about 13ΒΊ w/ about a 30MPH wind. They kept telling me it wasn't cold yet, but I told them I was leaving before it got cold. The day after I told them that I actually broke my arm arm and had to go home.
Old 05/14/2004, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Texasreefer
Whoa, 85mph is amazing!
I'll put my slow 60mph boat to the shore when I see you comming

That trip is going to be a lot of fun!
Old 05/14/2004, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

We are running a big block 454 in it. Our limit to our speed is fuel. We start running out of gas at the top end. We need to add a larger carb, but it is scary enough to drive like it is.
Old 05/14/2004, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I've already been on the water twice this year...

It's Getting warmer up here.
Old 05/14/2004, 06:16 PM
30 year and over club

Boats in the water (Long Island Sound) and after a little maintenence tomarrow hopefully it will be another great year of boating.
Old 05/14/2004, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

god_of_wolves
Very nice boat! is that a chap or a searay? I'm trying to outline the graphics but I can't see it. Do you have a bigger picture you can post?
We'll be going out next friday and saturday to Folsom Lake. Just got our boat out of service so am excited to start out the season as well.

Btw, here's our boats pic.

And hanging out at the Sacramento Jazz Festival last year. It was a blast. Hope to do it again this season. Cool to kick back and listen to the music.

A couple of other close friends just bought boats this year so were definitely going to have a great time this season visiting other lakes with them. Unfortunately this season hobby of boating is going to take away some construction time on my reef tank project

Paul B
Awesome to hear! Any pictures?
Old 05/15/2004, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

heres my water sport
Old 05/16/2004, 06:25 AM
30 year and over club

My little maintenence turned out to be a bent valve. I will take off the head today and hopefully replace it this week. I have plenty of pictures on regular film, unfortunately my scanner croaked and I have not had time to get a new one. We usually hang out on the Sound and since most of my friends have boats we raft them all together side by side. Sometimes we have 14 boats together for the weekend. Mine is the smallest at 24' the largest is 50' with all sizes in between. Been out there for 30 years. Don't know how people can live without a boat.
Old 05/16/2004, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
My little maintenence turned out to be a bent valve.
That is a pretty common problem. We've seen a lot of people get water into their intake and try to start their boats and bend a rod. We had that problem when we took the boat out the other day, but when it wouldn't turn over we just pulled the plugs and blew the water out of the cylinders. After replacing the plugs it fired right up. We seen some other people having the same problem and they didn't want to listen and kept trying to start their boat we finally convinced them to pull the plugs and they were amazed they had water in the cylinders. Their problem was they never flushed out their motor after running in saltwater and the heat exchangers rusted out and got water in the cylinder that way. It cost them about $800 to replace the exchangers because they didn't do basic maintainance.
Old 05/16/2004, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I have a 20 foot Regal open bow. We ski and innertube. We do not get out until later in summer because of kids baseball and softball season. Actually even thinking of selling because we don't get out enough.

Tony
Old 05/16/2004, 07:48 PM
ZAO

Damn all you boaters,LOL
I wish I had a boat.
Which is more fun, A boat or personal watercraft?

We will be keeping our 32' 5th wheel at the colorado river next year so I am trying to decide what to get.

As with surferdude, my H20 sport is surfing.

My parents want a boat but i'm leaning towards the personal's.

Anyone have the new yamaha's?
Old 05/17/2004, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Two happiest days or a boatowners life.

The day he buys the boat; and the day he sells it

Old 05/17/2004, 04:13 AM
30 year and over club

Texasreefer. My boat is docked in salt water so I cant flush it out all the time. It's an I/O 350 Volvo Penta. I took off the head yesterday and found it is not a bent valve but a stuck valve. I removed the valve and cleaned the guide. (I used to be a GM mechanic many years ago) There was some condensation in the oil over the winter and a little rust formed on the valve stems. I will remove all the valves tomarrow and put it all back together for next week.(I hope) Take care.
Paul
Old 05/17/2004, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lil_mikey69
Two happiest days or a boatowners life.

The day he buys the boat; and the day he sells it

I thought that was for a swimming pool owner...
Old 05/17/2004, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

SurferDude771
Very Cool!
Old 05/17/2004, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

We have a 22 foot Bayliner openbow. We have been out on the water for about the past 3 months. The weather here is perfect for baoting most of the year. Love to pull the inflatables. We have a grandson that wants to try wakeboarding. Fun, Fun, Fun.
Tina
Old 05/17/2004, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Twize,
It's a 04 SeaRay.

Here's a pic,

I've had numerous boats over the past 15 years, but this is my first NEW boat.

I can't imagine life without a boat.
Scott.
Old 05/17/2004, 11:30 AM
Carpet Surfer

I was just out yesterday with my uncle in his 450 horse machine. We were hitting 75 MPH at 5500 RPM and that was as fast as we could get going with the 4 blade prop that he was trying out. That boat will normally do 85 MPH at the same RPM. We were taking off faster out of the hole, but it wasn't worth losing 10 MPH so he switched the prop back out for the 3 blade one had on last summer.

We spent the entire afternoon chasing holes in the clouds where the sun was shining through. Hopefully next weekend it will be a little sunnier.
Old 05/17/2004, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

TinaR
Great to hear! It's good you guys have "Thee" weather most of the year for boating Speaking of towables, heres video on a banana boat towable we picked up last year from costco. What a blast...especially if I'm behind the wheel....MuaHAHA!

[Video]
http://www.twize.com/images/movleefor102.mpg

God_of_wolves
That is one Beautiful boat! How do you like it so far? It looks like you and your wife are sure enjoying it
Quote:
I can't imagine life without a boat.
Scott.
...with you all the way! This will be our 3rd season and with the lake 5min away, were in the water all the time. We love boating. Now that the weather is warming up, It's funny to see our works parking lots filling up with boats to. Oh did I mention my work is about 6-7min away from Folsom Lake?

Musicsmaker
You 85+mph fanatics are simply insane!!!! I love it.

Last edited by beerguy; 06/25/2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05/17/2004, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

... (removing double post)
Old 05/17/2004, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

22' Chris Craft - pretty much boating & fishing all the time except this year it's been very windy & I'm not too comfortable going out in the gulf. But it's great to go bar hopping thru the intercoastal!
Old 06/05/2004, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

man I want a boat. The problem happens to be im trying to get out of debt right now otherwise I would have one(got the cc's paid off now working on the student loan and the van loan). The other thing is that when I started talking to my inlaws about wanting to get a boat(they live on a lake) they went out and bought a crownline. you know one of those fancy ones with leather seats and gold lettering. only does 45mph but heck thats pretty fast on inland lakes. Hopefully in a couple years Ill be able to buy one and be able to pay cash for it.