Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/02/2004, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

For Those Of You With T5 Lights

What combination of bulbs do you use? Are there any bulbs (such as the sun or actinic) which are essential? Right now, I'm using 2 suns, 1 aqua blue, and 1 actinic. It's a little too white for my taste.
Old 05/03/2004, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

If it is to white then change the aqua blue to actinic. Your corals will need the 2 suns to thrive.
Old 05/03/2004, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

I'm running the same combo as you Jayhawk

I don't mind the color at all.. guess it's just a personal preference thing
Old 05/03/2004, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

I'm using 5 aquablues and 3 superblues currently--nice blue-white light and the corals love it. I've thought of trying all aquablues for a less blue overall effect. I hate the yellow color of the sun bulbs, even when they are combined with other bulbs. I'm getting plenty of PAR without using sun bulbs.

p.s. You might try the superblue bulbs. I like the color and effect much better than the actinic bulbs--better fluorescence imo.
Old 05/03/2004, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

I replaced the daylight bulbs with aquablues in my 8x54 watt tek light. I'm now using four aquablue, two blue plus and two actinic and I like the look of the tank better.
Old 05/03/2004, 07:44 PM
S. Gigantea junky

Check out my sig. My tank looks bluish/white.
Old 05/04/2004, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Well, I ordered a couple of blue+. I think I'll try 2 suns and 2 blue+... or 1 sun, 1 aqua blue, 1 blue plus, and 1 actinic.

Do the actinic bulbs provide an essential or beneficial spectrum of light that is not found in the blue+ bulbs?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05/04/2004, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

The actinics are not essential. The aquablue bulbs are about 50-60% actinic. The blue plus are very similar to the actinics, but I like the color effect and fluorescence much better with the blue plus. I have a lot of extra bulbs and did a lot of bulb switching to find the color of the tank and corals that I like best. You may find yourself changing a few times until you get the effect you like best.
Old 05/04/2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomzpc
I replaced the daylight bulbs with aquablues in my 8x54 watt tek light. I'm now using four aquablue, two blue plus and two actinic and I like the look of the tank better.

i have the same setup tom, i was told by greg at reefgeek i need the suns for coral health, how is you tank doing with no sun bulbs? i too think its too yellowish