Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Indiana Marine Aquarium Society (INDMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2004, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Question chicago cub baseball

do or will the chicago cubs have a chance to go to the world series.....good additions to the team, but dusty baker will still makes errors in judgement late in the game, they need a closer. let me know what you baseball fans think. i say they will be luck to win the division.

glen
Old 04/07/2004, 12:12 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

The chubbies will continue their post-season failure this year just as they have for the past 90+ years. Corky Sosa and the rest of the group that call Chewing Gum Field home will let their fans down, once again.

David
I bleed CARDINAL RED

Too old for women to care
Old 04/07/2004, 05:51 PM
Moved On

Thumbs up

Cub Blue/Red here--Glenn, bad karma--you're outa her'Bob
Old 04/07/2004, 08:09 PM
Calvinist

ok, i was stupid enough to date a girl who is a major cards fan, sigh.. can't get her to see the red AND blue..

come on, i have base ball cards from when maddox was on the cubs the first time. you suggesting that he, wood, and prior don't have it? not to mention the other pitchers and SOLID infield line? i mean hello?

IMO cards don't have a team this year, so not worried about the G-F's team even coming close to the cubs

lol

i almost got tickest to the the game last year when hell broke loose.. sigh, had i gone- we would have won ;-)
Old 04/07/2004, 08:10 PM
Calvinist

meeting idea! Cubs game and frag swap!
Old 04/07/2004, 08:14 PM
Fish nerd

Cubs???? How 'bout the REDS!

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 04/08/2004, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

the cubs.....maddox got a great welcome party from the griffey and dunn. if he was not plunking batters he was give up the long ball. note to greg maddox, chicks do not dig guys who give up the long ball, only guys who can hit the long ball. the cubs do not have a closer....period. injuries will determine the post season for the cubs. they got to make a move for a closer. prior will not be able to sling the rock until the first of may. for maddox, wood, prior, and clemments to be effective they need to stay on a five day rotation.....houston is the team to watch
Old 04/08/2004, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

GO CUBS....I think its time to bring Rod Beck back to Chicago!!
Old 04/08/2004, 03:45 PM
Moved On

Ahh.....Glenn, O Ye of little faith--during Holy Week, no less Bob
Old 04/09/2004, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

the goat will live and be the ruler in chicago forever.....facts are facts. you either want to win or you dont, ask the yankees.....george will do what ever it takes. the cubs have always been one player from being great.
Old 04/09/2004, 04:16 PM
Moved On

WOW, do you believe this guy?!!! Bob
Old 04/12/2004, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Glenn, how can you say the cubs have no closer? Joe B. had 33 saves last year and is two for two in saves this year, it's not how hard you throw it it's where you throw it (memo to mr. Isringhausen). Besides they have Hawkin's and Farnsworth who could close if needed. I admit Gonzo and the new catcher make a weak batting lower end of their lineup but both hit hommers yesterday. There are 20 legit teams that have a shot at the WS this year and they all have weak spots. The cubs are in. The Cards will battle with the Brewers for fourth place.
Old 04/12/2004, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

GO SOX;-)
Old 04/13/2004, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

joe b. was not intended to be a closer, he is middle releive pitcher, he was forced to close due to injuries. farnsworth was very hit and miss last year, and showed he could not close in atlanta last week. if you got maddux, prior, wood, and clemments, you need a big time pitcher to seal the deal. not someone that you never know who is going to show up to pitch. there are maybe five teams that will have a chance at the series. cubs pitching has always been there problem, dont get me wrong. i am a cub fan, but at some point you have to call a goat, a goat. the catcher deal is crazy, they could have signed javy lopez or pugh and left maddox in atlanta. maddux is on the down slide of a very good career, maybe, just maybe we look at him as a closer, that would give him a few more years. maddux will be lucky to win 20 games. joey b. and farnsworth are like compairing apples to oranges with wood, prior, and maddux. joey b. was hit and miss in the playoffs, if he was that great of a closer, the cubs would not have had to push wood, and prior into late inning games. dusty knew he did not have a late inning pitcher to handle flordia's line up. you have got to cover the basics in baseball, and there are a few positions you have to be strong in, our you will loose the big games. the big games are what counts,and they are the ones you have to win. the cubs will always be just an average team, that will never make the big move to be a winner
Old 04/13/2004, 04:26 PM
Moved On

Bob
Old 04/13/2004, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

sorry bob.....i talked james watson the other day, he told me to tell you hello. he will be in indpls. on the 29th and the 30th. i am suppost to have dinner with him and dick marcinco. marcinco was the commander of seal team two and started seal team six. there are old buddies. i like the cubbies, but i get very frustrated with them.
Old 04/13/2004, 04:56 PM
Moved On

Glenn, if you think Watson is crazy, wait to you get a load of Marcinko--he was the "pointer" on that Navy Seals unit--unbelievable Bob
Old 04/14/2004, 11:35 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Some Chubbie jokes-

A Cardinal fan, an Astro fan and a Cub fan were walking down a deserted road, they came across a woman who was unconscious and nude, the Cardinal fan out of respect covered her left breast with his hat, the Astro fan out of respect covered her right breast, and the Cub fan covered her lower region if you will with his hat. They decided to call the police to help the lady, the cop arrives and lifts the Cardinal hat and writes something down, then does the same with the Astros hat, then he lifts the Cubs hat once, and then a second time and then a third time, finally the group ask what are you doing, and the Cop says "Sorry, I am used to seeing a-holes under a Cubs cap."

And another-
An Arab oil sheik,who is wealthy almost beyond words, is contemplating what to give his daughter for her upcoming 13th birthday.

The sheik asks his daughter,"What would you like for your 13th birthday that would make it the most special day that I could provide for you ?"

The daughter replies,"Oh father, I would REALLY like to go to Walt Disney World !!!"

The father replies,"If that is your wish, Walt Disney World it will be !!"

The sheiks private jet takes them to Orlando, Florida,where a limo takes them right up to the entrance to WDW, where they spend the whole day, doing the park up one side, and down the other, to the daughter's complete delight. The day turns to evening, and as is the norm in WDW, as the rides in the park are closed at days end, Main Street with all it's gift shops are still open to try and get the tourists who visited WDW that day, to possibly spend what remaining money they have, before ending their visit, and returning to their cars.

The father and daughter are standing in the middle of Main Street, reflecting on the never to be forgotten day they have experienced. With the moon and stars shining brightly overhead, the lights twinkling in the Main street trees, the wonderful music playing in the park, they take one last look at Cinderella's beautifully lit castle, as the father looks into the beaming face of his daughter.

He asks,"Daughter, have you enjoyed your birthday?"

The daughter replies"Oh father, it has been the most special of all !!"

He then asks her,"Is there ANYTHING else that I could get you, my daughter, to make your wonderful day complete?"

The daughter looks down for a moment in deep thought, and then lovingly looking up at her father gives her answer.

"Oh father,"she says," I would REALLY, REALLY like to have a Mickey Mouse outfit !!!"

The smile dissappears from the father's face as he sadly looks at his daughter and says:

"I hate to have to dissapoint you, on this most special of all days, my daughter, but as I speak, the Chicago Cubs are not for sale !!"

And the final one-
A Cardinal fan gets on the plane and sits down in his seat. He kicks his shoes off and relaxes. Before long he strikes up a conversation with the two guys next to him and finds out they are Cub Fans. They talk cordially for a while and then the Card fan (being a bud man) gets tired of waiting to be served so he goes for a beer and offers to get the guys next to him a beer. One Cub Fan declines but one accepts.

As soon as his back is turned, the Cub fan in the middle seat reaches down, grabs a shoe and hocks a lugee in it. The second Cub fan was laughing his backside off. The Cardinal fan comes back but (again being a Cardinal fan) it isn't long before he wants another round. This time the other Cub fan accepts the offer of a Brew.

Like before, as soon as his back is turned the second Cub fan asks for the other shoe and he hocks a lugee in it.

Well, they all finish their beers just before landing. Both Cub fans were giddy with excitement as the Card reaches down to slip on his shoes. It only took an instant for the Card fan to realize what has gone on. The Cardinal Fan looks at both Cub fans and says

"How long must this go on between Cardinal fans and Cub fans? All of this spitting in shoes and wizzing in beers has got to stop sometime."

David

Too old for women to care
Old 04/14/2004, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

hey bob.....marcinco is out of controll, but he does things people only wish they had the balls to do. he is a stand up guy, along with watson. they believe in taking care of there troops, and the hell with the rank and file.

my kinda supervisor
Old 04/14/2004, 07:02 PM
Moved On

I think its time to call it a season, its over for the cubs.
holla at yo santa
Old 04/15/2004, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

joey b. where did your fastball go. joey averaged mid 90's last year, and this year he averages mid 80's. you can not be a closer in the big leagues with 10 miles an hour off your fastball. mark priors injury is worse than the cubs are coming out with. mental note: does it supprise you that dusty baker is the manager, and there is a pitcher with an arm injury, prior pitched 60 plus innings more last year than he did the year before. thats a elbow reconstruction in the works (tommy john surgery). i know, i have had two of them done to my left elbow. maddux has been seen dating that goat that they kicked out of the wrigley. i told greg maddux not to kiss that goat. he is 0-2, but dusty stated greg always starts slow. maddux and joey b. can sit in there rocking chairs and talk about the old days when they could throw in 90s. i hope greg can help joey with pitch location, they both will need it.

the injurys are starting to come quick, no rest for the players.
Old 04/15/2004, 04:04 PM
Moved On

Glenn, believe you're huffing some O3 when Jeremy & Cory aren't looking See ya tomorrow,Bob
Old 04/16/2004, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

the only thing that will help the cubs when a division, is for astros andy p. and roger c. where to be injured all year. did you see the monster blast craig b. hit last night. the chicks will dig that long ball. i like the way the california angeles are playing right now too. i think harry carry will do an about face in the coffin, when the choken cubbies are do with this season. i hear the goat has a greg maddux home and away jersey he wears on game day. i also would like to know what is up with the grey jackets that all the teams are wearing. the mlb cound not imposed that jacket for the players to wear, please tell me it is not so......

just for you bob

glen
Old 04/16/2004, 03:09 PM
Moved On

Pssss...Glenn, the medication withdrawal IS showing Bob
Old 04/16/2004, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Was that a great friday game or what! Back- to- back Jacks! The cubs bats are heating up! Joe B with the win. I admit he dosen't inspire confidence but as long as he keeps doing the job he is going to deserve some props. And how about Hendry's genius pickups Barrett, Walker and Holandsworth. golden. Hey Glenn is that cast on your foot or your hand! go Cubs!