Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2004, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

CA questions

I cannot seem to get my CA levels up. I tested them and found they were at 290. LFS said to use Kent super DKH and that would fix everything. OK, well it didn't. So I went back to the LFS and they said to use 'Aragamilk' been adding it daily now for almost two weeks and CA is still only 315. I called them last night and they told me to come in and buy some Kent 'turbo calcium' then use the aragamilk to keep the levels once the turbo establishes them. Does this sound right to you guys or is my LFS just looking to sell me another bottle of stuff to add to my ever increasing collection? Is there something better I should buy??
Old 03/18/2004, 07:41 AM
Where's my motorcycle?

Kent Turbo Calcium is a quality product. I use it often for raising my Ca and it works very well. One thought is to have your magnesium level tested - low magnesium makes it difficult to raise your Ca.
Old 03/18/2004, 08:44 AM
i'm here for you two

should he test for phosphates too. my friend had high phosphates in his water (he used well water now he has ro/di unit and is doing much better)

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 03/18/2004, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

what is your tank parameters?

specifically your Mg and Alk ?

either one will get you. Low Mg will make it difficult to bring it up and high alk willl precipitate the Ca.

Co you notice and white stuff on your tank walls that's hard to remove? or even on your thermometer?
Old 03/18/2004, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

hmm, Dont have an Mg or Alk test kit - guess I'll get one this weekend - or have the LFS test my water if they are out of stock on the kits. No, no white stuff on my walls - a couple weeks ago I cleaned my emperor 400 out and found some ittle white 'balls' that were clumped together - looked just like tiny balls of stryofoam.
Old 03/18/2004, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

i also noticed some white things floating near the tank wall and they remind me of styrofoam. my setup is fairly new (3 weeks) and i also have the emperor 400. waterkeeper mentioned that bio wheels can contribute to higher nitrates, and i really need to figure this one out before i remove the wheels.
Old 03/18/2004, 10:44 PM
Premium Reefer

Here is some in depth reading that better explains the CA/Alk relationship. Kind of long but very informative - a must read...

LINK

Good Luck and so far I agree with the other posts - check your Mg and Alk, they will play a big part in you ability to raise and keep your CA at a normal level.

Good Luck!!