Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Any last words before I flatworm exit

Im going to use flat worm exit on the tank this weekend any last sugestions before I go threw with it. Im going to take out abought 20 gal and set up a few 5gal bukets and try to dip some of the hevly infeted rocks sepritly. I havent seen any on the sand bed yet but Im worried if I dont get them now it wont be long. before I do. I did a fresh water dip last week on a few peices of base rock to clean them off and I couldnt belive how many worms came out of the rock I didnt think I had them that bad and that I would be able to keep them under control but after seeing how many I didnt see in the tank on the rick I can only imagine how many I rilly have hiding in the live rock. Here is a pic of a turbo a mushroom and the flat worms I have.

250gl In wall tank set up on Dec 27 2003 with a 20 gal sump for heaters and skimmer and a 30gal summp used for a ref
Old 03/16/2004, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

I hearby give you permission to exterminate all flatworms with extreme predjudice!

Eradicate at will!!

-K9
Old 03/16/2004, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Im going to take a few before after pics for every one whille Im doing it.

250gl In wall tank set up on Dec 27 2003 with a 20 gal sump for heaters and skimmer and a 30gal summp used for a ref
Old 03/16/2004, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Ok I always thought that chemicals, arag alive, and medicines were gimmicks. Well I bought flatworn exit and used it on a tank today 30 minutes later boom no flatworms. So I totally endorse this product. It is right up there with cheese in a can.
Old 03/16/2004, 11:52 PM
AKA:

I exterminated last weekend, Earl. This was my first time dosing and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I first did about a 15 gallon water removal, siphoning out as many as I could. Next, I triple dosed the recommended amount. I had a few bristleworms stress out, but I totally wiped out the flatworms in a about 2 hours. I replaced the 15 gallons and ran two full filter socks of carbon. Hopefully they're all gone! Good luck.
Old 03/17/2004, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Tell me how it went. I am going to do the same thing this weekend. I am thinking about dipping each individual rocks then do the whole tank again just to make sure. I heard some brittle star loss from flat worm exit. Good luck to you, and wish me luck too.
Old 03/17/2004, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

so to get rid of the worms you dipped your lr in fresh water and they left the rock? how long did you do this for? does it hurt the corraline algea?
Old 03/17/2004, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Ive only dipped my base rock in fresh water and it only took like 30 sec and the worms came off.

Old 03/17/2004, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Make sure you complete a follow treatment 7-10 days later!
Old 03/17/2004, 08:28 AM
AKA:

Be sure to add a couple extra powerheads and work them into all the nooks and cranny's to get the ones hiding.
Old 03/17/2004, 09:56 PM
Carpet Surfer

Have a small jug ready with some untreated tank water in it. That way, when your mini-brittle stars start squirming you can grab them and toss them in the untreated water. Everybody I have ever talked to that used this stuff also noticed that mini-brittles don't like it. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything react badly to flatworm exit. Except for the flatworms that is!
Old 03/17/2004, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

music,

That is interesting that you say that, because I hadn't heard that and that's exactly what happened to me. I used the flatworm exit, and the mini brittles started all coming out of the rocks. Ran some carbon and they seemed to settle down after a bit. Got rid of the nasty flatworms, though. That stuff does work.
Old 03/20/2004, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Well its done the only loss was brital worms but it looks like the flat worms are gone only time will tell. I started out the day around 8 and set up 3 5gal bukets with water from my tank one for any unexpected fish problems one for a flatworm exit dip and one to rince. I took the live rock and corals with the most flat worms on them witch turned out to be the mushrooms and some button polups and dippet them in the 5gal with the flat worm exit in it. It only took afew minuts and the worms started to flote after this they went in to the salt water buket with just salt water for a rinse to get any thing that died off I then put them back in the tank. I had a lot of LR that was to big for the buket and I didnt want to tare the hole tank down so I only did the most infected rocks luckly I didnt have them on the sand bed and buy some tanks I have seen I rilly didnt have a flat worm problem I just wanted to stop it before I did. after every thing was back in the tank I gave the hole tank to bottals of flatworm exit enough to treat 600 gl I estimate that I probly have a little over 300 in the hole sytem so this was double what was needed after abought 1 minute the flat worms started coming coming out the stuff works fast I got out a net and started to try to remove as many as I could with a net and a turkey baster. after an hour I added a carbon filter to the sump I let it go like this all day tonight I just did a 60gl water change and every thing still looks good my button polups, zoos, colt and GSP had no problems they never acted diffrent at all the Mushrooms clsed for a while but buy the end of the day had opened back up. for live stock the only thing that seemed to not like it was the peppermint shrimps they wore rilly acting strange so they got to hang out in the fresh salt water buket for a while. So as of now every thing looks good will have to see how they look tomarrow and Ill post next weekend on the worm status.

Old 03/20/2004, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

^ Thats an eyesore.

I'm guessing it went well.
Old 03/20/2004, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Good to see a picture of those old suckers..can't say I miss them though.

You probably already know, but make sure you add a few drops of FWE every time you acclimate corals from now on.
Old 03/21/2004, 12:50 AM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Flatworn Exit kicks flatworn butt! I love the stuff. MM
Old 03/21/2004, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

I works

All,

I tried it four months ago and this stuff works great but I recommend to all that you follow up and do it again even thus you don't see any. They me back a month later. I did not add anything in the tank in that time frame. The second time around I did it on a Saturday and two weeks later I did it again. This time I am I have not seem trace of them. Has anybody noticed that it also kills the worms in the sand bed?