Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2004, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Which Dive Shop In Maui???

My wife and I will be heading to Maui this summer and are planning to stay in south maui. She is leaning towards the town of Kihei. Does anyone know of a good dive shop with which to book a couple of dives and rent equipment?
Old 03/08/2004, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Oh also a couple of good dives to take?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03/08/2004, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey! I just got back from Maui a week ago! I thought the molokini crater was pretty neat. We stayed in the Westin Villas in Kaanapali and it was great. All along Kaanapali beach was great diving. Not sure about dive shops, we just went through our hotel. If you havn't booked a place to stay yet the Westin Villas were awsome, their beds were great also. You could just walk out onto the beach there and start snorkeling. Another great thing about the place we were staying is it was only a couple minutes away from Lahina. Kihei was a nice area, the aquarium is right close which is definately worth going to. What hotel were you thinking of?

Cody
Old 03/10/2004, 12:49 AM
10 & Over Club

If their still doing it, Mike Severns and his wife Pauline do a fantastic small boat dive trip. Mike is a profesional underwater photographer and Pauline is biologist. It was about 10 years ago that I was there. At that time they were running a boat out of Kihei. 6 diver limit made for a nice small group and being shown around the reef by real pro's is quite a treat.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 03/24/2004, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Mike Severns is still diving and I would highly recommend them. There is another small boat diving company that I went with that was excellent but I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember the name at the moment. Check the Frommers 2004 Hawaii Guide. It lists Mike Severns and the other company as being the best and give phone numbers for both. It also has tons of other great information. Well worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...16649?v=glance

I also dove Molokini crater. The place is over run with divers by mid morning but it was awesome! The best dive of my life. I was there mid February so whales were all over the place and I could hear them singing loud and clear throughout most of the dive. About 120' of visibility. Saw loads of fish, coral, a few white tip reef sharks, a couple of massive sea turtles, octopus, eels, etc, etc... Either of the dive companies mentioned above start out very early in the morning so you will be packing up for your second dive just about the time the crowds show up. You meet at the boat ramp at about 6:30 AM. Watching the sun rise over Haleakala on the way out to do some diving is pretty cool all by itself. I put together some notes for a friend of mine that will be going to Maui soon. I would be happy to PM you with them if you’d like.