Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/03/2004, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Large m.cap pics?

Does anybody have any tank shots with your large m. caps? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where to place my cap which is starting to get pretty big. I don't really want to frag it or get rid of it, but it looks like it's gonna take over the tank soon.

Just wondering if anybody has any pics or ideas on where to place a big cap in a smaller sized tank (120gal).

Thanks
Old 03/03/2004, 09:45 PM
SPS PIMP

Well, my cap is about 10" across....not exactly huge, but it's in a 65gallon tank and growing fast! What I did was give it it's own "Island" where it would have plenty of room to grow.

FWIW HTH,
Rich
Old 03/03/2004, 10:17 PM
Just reefin' it...

I like to start them in corners. This one below is actually two caps which have grown together. Immediately to the right is the center built in overflow and the back of the tank wall is immediately behind. By putting them in corners they can only physically grow so far in two directions. And then they'll start growing on the walls... and that's fine by me.

Old 03/04/2004, 01:54 AM
Sumthin's ain't right!

Here is a full tank shot back in July 93. You can see the large purple monti cap in top left corner.

Here is a close-up of it back then:

Old 03/04/2004, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Here is one of my old one, I fraged it up at a meeting this past weekend.

Another one but showing a little better where in the tank it is located. I have a 65g with 440w of vho, it was located halh way down the tank. BTW when I fragged it it was 1.5 years old and bigger than a dinner plate.
Old 03/04/2004, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

one that got too large and has been ouseted from my friends tank soon to be at its new home

Old 03/04/2004, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phishlet
I like to start them in corners. This one below is actually two caps which have grown together. Immediately to the right is the center built in overflow and the back of the tank wall is immediately behind. By putting them in corners they can only physically grow so far in two directions. And then they'll start growing on the walls... and that's fine by me.

Thanks phishlet. I'm assuming that your caps shade out a ton of light under them. Is your tank bare under the caps or what did you do to fill the shaded areas caused by the caps?

Any shots from the front of your tank so I can see what you did underneath them?

Old 03/04/2004, 03:31 PM
Zooxanthellae Addict

Here a couple of shots from my tank when it was in its prime, before I started messing with different halide bulbs.

Old 03/04/2004, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

wow all very sweet
Old 03/04/2004, 04:46 PM
Garbologist

Here are two I had before my crash last year. Luckily I still have small frags of them left. The green was almost 14 inches across, and the purple rim was almost 12 inches across and 12 inches tall. Both started as 3" frags. It is best to mount them on a rock where you can move them if you want to. They do take up some real estate, but worth it IMO.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 03/04/2004, 04:48 PM
SPS PIMP

WOW I love the growth pattern on the purple rim.....
Old 03/04/2004, 05:55 PM
Just reefin' it...

Quote:
Originally posted by SOS
Thanks phishlet. I'm assuming that your caps shade out a ton of light under them. Is your tank bare under the caps or what did you do to fill the shaded areas caused by the caps?

Any shots from the front of your tank so I can see what you did underneath them?

Here's a full tank shot. You can see the capricornis just to the right of the overflow on the upper left of the middle overflow. It shades everything below it but I have some macro algae growing and some xenia directly under it. It sorta shades a green montipora capricornis too. You can also see that there is an acro growing right between the capricornis. It has shaded and killed a couple branches of that but I just frag the capricornis to keep most of the acro exposed.

Old 03/04/2004, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

This is how I am going to let mine grow........

Hopfully these two will take up the whole center section.
Old 03/06/2004, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Great Pics!
Old 03/06/2004, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

John, that is just how i am planning on aquascaping, although i think ill go a little higher with my rock. but i love that gap for plates to grow into, just like my dreams, haha. sweet tank, can't wait to see it again in 6 mos.
Old 03/06/2004, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliment, I am also anxious to see it at 1 year...
Old 03/06/2004, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I don't want to hijac this thread but I have one I would like to gorw in the back left of my tank. Can I just glue it to the back glass? It is on a little plug but I can chip it off that.
Old 03/06/2004, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Here are a few pictures of my orange cap in my 120. I would not recommend these corals for smaller tanks, they grow very fast and get very large. BTW, 99% of this growth occurred in less than 1 year. The last picture was what the coral looked like in March 03 and the one in the cooler was from January 04.