Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/03/2004, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Vendor Sold Me Bad Tank. Need Advice.

I purchased a 90 gallon Oceanic reef ready tank from my LFS and it was sold to me without the middle brace. I've been trying to purchase a lid for this tank for 2 months and have now discovered the tank was manufactured wrong. I was told the middle brace is a structual part of the tank and the chances of the front/back panels bowing is now significantly higher without this middle piece. I checked the tank last night and sure enough the front has started to bow. I am receiving a new tank next Wednesday and in the meantime, they strongly advise me to drain my tank halfway. The LFS has agreed to babysit our current fishes while we are waiting for the new tank and we will receive $200 of in store credit. However, they also mentioned that we will need to get a wave maker in order to keep the live rock and water condition good. I don't know if they are giving us the wave maker or we have to use the store credit to purchase it.

My question is, should I accept these terms? Should I demand more for all the trouble this is going to cause me? We have to move an entire 90 gallon and all of it's contents (97 lbs of live rock, live sand, crushed corals). I don't want to be too demanding nor taken advantage of either.

Please advise. Thanks.

Julia
Old 03/03/2004, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

that sucks

shouldn't they compensate you for all of the trouble you had to go through with the 'cycling'? i'm sure it wasn't easy.

And now they want you to do the transfer yourself. What if your fish die with the transfer? Would the $200 be enough?

What fishes do you have in there now?
Old 03/03/2004, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Well that's my question. Is what they are offering "enough" compensation. I have no idea. You tell me.

Bursa Trigger, Porcupine Puffer, Foxface, Regal Tang, three Damsels, and a small hot pink fish. Not sure what it is. My husband purchased it.
Old 03/03/2004, 02:14 PM
Loan Shark Willy

blah. just toss in a couple powerheads and your rock will be fine.

see if they will send a crew over to deliver the new tank, remove the old tank and help set up the new tank. that plus the $200 credit should be compensation enough, imo.
Old 03/03/2004, 02:17 PM
Moved On

90g. of NSW @ .59/g. is $53 right there. Then there's the labor of draining, moving your sand bed (assuming another 150# of sand to move) and moving your LR (probably another 100# of backbreaking labor). Now you're going to have a short re-cycle of your tank, so that's a PITA. Figure you're out $53 for new water, $120 in labor (6 hrs. of labor at $20/hr). and the long wait for the recycle.

I'd say I'd want at least $200 for my time and trouble. Hopefully your fish will be OK at the LFS, but you might want to clarify the terms if one gets sick. If they throw in a wavemaker, you should be very happy with the deal.

I'm still amazed that no one at the LFS "noticed" a 90g was missing the cross brace? I take it they don't sell a lot of reef tanks?
Old 03/03/2004, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Take the deal!!! Your lucky to get anything!!!
Old 03/03/2004, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Wilafur, what do you mean by "powerheads?" Excuse my ignorance for I am new to this hobby.

That's funny you say that Nanocat for this LFS is one of the largest and positive revenue generating store here in Atlanta. The Fish Store & More. They even have a website.
Old 03/03/2004, 02:31 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

If I am not mistaken, Oceanic makes a line of tanks with no center braces. How much was it bulging? Is it possible it was one of these? They are more $ though.

Powerheads are small pumps that are placed inside the tank for water movement. One of the more basic components of a "basic" tank.

Good luck and do a lot of reading.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 03/03/2004, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

No, I've spoken with Oceanic and they were the ones who initially contacted The Fish Store & More letting them know that I had a bad tank. Yes, they do make tanks without the center brace but those are custom orders.

What started this whole nightmare was that I was trying to purchase a lid for my tank from another LFS that was closer to home. They kept on ordering a lid that came in two pieces and I asked how I was supposed to use that lid if I don't have the center brace. They were not aware that Oceanic made any tanks without the center brace and asked for the serial #. I think this was how Oceanic was able to trace my tank and find out where I had originally purchased the tank from.
Old 03/03/2004, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Did you take the lr out of the tank already? if so ok..if not i personaly would take everything out of the tank put into a rubbermaid tub till the tank gets there.wouldn`t trust the tank with anything in it.really don`t need to come home to a floor full of water.
As for the lr wouldn`t a powerhead be enough to keep it till the tank gets there.unless you were gonna buy a wave maker down the road then just get the wave maker now then later.

ask bout when the fish are at the store are they covering them if anything happens to them while being babysat.and check on the fish.
tell the store to keep the 90 and give ya a 125rr tank.unless ya want the 90 then give ya the wave maker and the 200.cause it was their fault. they know if they keep ya happy you`ll be back spending double what they give ya.
Old 03/03/2004, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

IMO, they should come over and do the transfer for you.
Old 03/03/2004, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

The fish store and more should have know something was wrong with the tank in the 1st place....they do enough business to know better.

I would try to get them to deliver the new tank along with saltwater or Ro/Di and salt mix b.c that costs money right there and then help you move stuff from one tank to another and take your old tank back to the store to be returned to Ocieanic....
Old 03/03/2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

i agree. the LFS and Oceanic got in contact with you for a reason. they know that if something was to happen, like if you came home today and they was water everywhere, there would be grounds for a lawsuit.
Old 03/03/2004, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

THE TANK WON'T BREAK AS LONG AS YOU PUT A LIGHTER WATER IN IT. THEY GOT MILLER LITE AND BUD LITE. WHY NOT SALTWATER LIGHT? HAHA.
Old 03/03/2004, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Goldberg, you're retarded!