Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2004, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Mag 18 for 211 gallon

Hi all,
I'm looking for your experience with Mag 18, or other similar submersible pump. Assume heat is not an issue, would you pick Mag 18 over Dophin Tank Master? I also read that Sedra 20000 (2000 gph) is a good choice. I ruled out Quiet One because it does not push out as much water compared to Mag 18.

So - which is the pump to pick if I'm looking for a reliable pump which is quiet, and produce good output (with about 6 ft head pressure)?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 02/20/2004, 04:17 AM
Team RC Member

When you get into the big tanks such as yours, I would look into using a big external pump. Good choices are the Sequence pump and Ampmaster. I had a Mag18 running a skimmer and that fail on my within a year.
Old 02/20/2004, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

tag
Old 02/20/2004, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

pumps are prone to calcium build up. I thought one of my mags were broken. Took it apart cleaned it in vinegar and it worked.
Old 02/20/2004, 09:44 AM
Professional Aquarist

I have been very happy with Mag-Drive pumps. I have two mounted externally on my 120, one 700 external on an aquatic turtle tank, a 500 I use for mixing saltwater and pumping into my various tanks, and a multitude of others that I have installed and maintain on customer's tanks. I have always found them to be reliable and they are so inexpensive that they are hard to pass up. If heat or noise is an issue, though, I use Iwaki's.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 02/20/2004, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

I had considered external pump. But for the ease of plumbing - I want to use a submersible pump. I'm not looking for the main pump to provide all of the required flow to keep a reef/sps tank. For example, my 150 gallon uses 2 Mag-12 pump and 2 Turbell 6100 pump.

This 211 gallon - I'm thinking maybe a Mag-12 or Mag-18 might work (3-4 times water turn over). In addition to the main pump that I'm debating, I'm using 3 Max-Jet 1200 on red sea wavemaster pro, and a Gemini (~900 gph) in a closed loop to 1 inch sea swirl. If needed I can add a Turbell 6100.

My requirement is the main pump is quiet, energy efficient, handle head pressure up to 6 feet.

There used to be a website I found that compare different types of pumps (both external and internal), watt used. Most website does not list specification on input (w) of external pumps. I could not find that site again to validate if external pump uses more watt than comparable internal pump. For exampe - A Mag-18 produces 1800 gph max, uses 145 watts. This is compared to a Blueline 100HD external pump 1900 gph max, and it uses 390 watts. Mag-18 is less expensive than Blueline. My main reason to consider an external pump is head pressure.

This decision is driving me mad. I've been thinking about this for a week now. If I opt for an external pump, there is no going back once I drill a hole for bulk head in my custom sump.

thank you,
Peter
Old 02/20/2004, 03:14 PM
Team RC Member

http://reefs.org/library/pumps/