Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/09/2004, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

10 gal tanks normally tempered?

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a refugium for my reef, and would like to use a cheap 10 gallon tank. I'm planning on placing it above the tank so I'll have maximum life returning to the main tank undamaged. This presents a design problem though, as I will need to drill a hole for the return hose in the 10 gallon tank. Does anyone know if the sides of these are normally tempered? Anyone have any luck with drilling these?

Thanks,

Wormy

James Payne
japayne@iupui.edu
Old 02/09/2004, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

10g are not tempered; however, they are by far the hardest tank to drill -- the glass is just too thin. I just had a few tanks drilled and someone asked about 10g tanks while I was there and the guy (who is really, really good at drilling) basically said, sure, we'll drill a 10g...but you better bring 3 or 4 tanks because it will likely take that many before you get a "success".

Good luck.

Joe
Old 02/09/2004, 01:12 PM
Crap Under User Name

I've drilled several 10 gallons. While it was difficult, if you go slow and use lots of coolant, you'll be fine.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 02/09/2004, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Hmm, I'm quite interested in using a 10g as a fuge as well, and have considered buying one and trying to dremel it myself. But I've always feared the thin glass :-/ For those that have successfully done it, was it done with a dremel or was it done with an actual diamond glass drill bit?
Old 02/09/2004, 02:21 PM
Crap Under User Name

I used a carbide tipped hole saw I got at Home Depot and a Dremel with a diamond bit. The Dremel method was by far the easiest and fastest.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 02/09/2004, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I was going to use the diamond dremel bits with my roto-zip at 30k rpm :-)
Old 02/09/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info so far. Sounds like something I might attempt, since I can get 10 gallon tanks for something like $10. I suppose I could always use the ample supply of snow I have outside as a coolant.

Wormy

James Payne
japayne@iupui.edu
Old 02/09/2004, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

yeah the dremel bits are definitely the way to go! just finished cutting overflow teeth into one reeeeelly cheap 10g. Had nary a problem. just used a plain 'ol spray bottle to keep it wet and cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_cut_teeth.jpg (30.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 02/09/2004, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

i drilled my 10 gal glass tank for a gravity fed return back into my tank. i cracked the first one though , putting a bulkhead in a little to tight. but the second one was a charm. i use a hose running over the tank with a small stream of water and it kept the bit cold and free of glass.

i drilled my 55 lee-mar the same way.