Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/05/2004, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quick question on LFS

Hi everyone,
The tank has been cycling now 3 weeks. I started out with established sand and rock so I did not have much of a cycle. Will prob wait another week or so anyway...

Can any of you make a recommendation on a local shop to purchase live stock? I have a clean up crew comming from Saltwaterfish dot com but I would like to have some local support if neccessary.

I will try to post pics in the my gallery when I have time to figure that out. Been running wires, pumps, lights,....you know.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 02/05/2004, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

The best bet I think are Fish Barn(you can pick your own), group order thru Adam here(different type to chose from) or thru Keith(casanokid here, he can get it for you with a good price)
Old 02/05/2004, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Where do you live?
Old 02/05/2004, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

The Tattoo guy has some nice stuff but is $$$ on some items.
The guy on 376 in new and will get what you want and says he will be giving HVRK member a discount. As will the fishbarn.
Old 02/06/2004, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

I would hold off on the clean up crew if you did not order it already. The tank really does not have enough algae in it yet to support the critters.LFS are Exotic Fish, Tropical World, County Aquarium and Marine,B&G?,and of course all of our favorite Tridacnareef.com Most shops will order what you want and you pick it up on delivery day. Bob
Old 02/06/2004, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanks all.

I live in Warwick, should have metioned that....
I do have algea established on the LR and parts of the sand. I bought it from an established tank and it never left the water. I will post some pictures soon in the gallery.

Do I just PM the members on the board that sell?

thanks again.

Bob
Old 02/17/2004, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

just to let you know, read the acclimation on saltwaterfish.com, they recommend cycling your tank a minimum of 6 weeks b4 buying anything from them, dont rush it dude, ive been studying and figuring for 2 months now nightly and havent bought a thing yet
Old 02/18/2004, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Just an update. Crabs, pep shrimp, and snails are all doing well. Just turning the two week mark with them in, 5 weeks total. Water's good. I will wait a couple of weeks more before stocking further.

Wasp, is your system cycling or are you in shoping mode?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02/18/2004, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

im still in info mode shopping in a month or so
Old 02/19/2004, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Well best of luck! Practicing patience is probably the hardest part.... Although, the familiy was happy just watching the LR "bloom" back to life.