Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2004, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

why r actinics better than pc's??

i'm setting up aga 180 w canopy/stand 72x24x24. i was told to go w/ retro, 3 250w 10k and 2 96w actinic bulbs(instead of pc) for a community reef tank. would this be sufficent. or should i go more and get a chiller?

thanks
Old 02/04/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

If you are talking about vho actinics, i think the corals seem to flourecse (sp.?) more under my vho bulbs than they did with the pc's. You'll like the vhos more, IMO.
You might wanna go with 3 400w halides, depending on what you are gonna keep. If you are planning to get into sps corals, I would spend the money now while you've still got money
Old 02/04/2004, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: why r actinics better than pc's??

Quote:
Originally posted by slickshal
i'm setting up aga 180 w canopy/stand 72x24x24. i was told to go w/ retro, 3 250w 10k and 2 96w actinic bulbs(instead of pc) for a community reef tank. would this be sufficent. or should i go more and get a chiller?

thanks

There is no "better" here. It just depends on what you intend to keep in your system. If you plan to have only soft corals then PC lighting would be fine (and cheaper to run). If you plan on keeping SPS coral and clams, or light loving anemones then you need stronger metal halide lighting.
I suggest you make a detailed plan of what animals you plan to keep, do a whole lot of research on their lighting requirements and only then make an informed decision. Once you make the choice between PC or halides there are a myriad of sub-choices to make (wattage, color temperature, ballast type, etc.) You could be heading towards an expensive mistake if you don't look into this more.
Old 02/05/2004, 11:00 AM
cnidarian vigilante

I think your are confusing VHO actinics with PC lighting's actinics. There is a PC actinic (blue) lamp. But the VHO actinic generally give a better "glow" to the corals than their PC counterparts. That is probably why you are being steered to VHO.