Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2004, 12:41 PM
15 & Over Club

Question Where to purchase wolf eel?

In the future (next 4-7 years) I plan on keeping a male wolf eel Anarrichthys ocellatus , and was wondering where I could obtain one? I know they grow quite large, and I'll probably go with a tank of 500 gallons or larger. I've checked many online stores with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 02/01/2004, 03:43 PM
15 & Over Club

331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 02/01/2004, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

uhh, you must not have looked that hard. Liveaquaria.com has em.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=21&pCatId=135
Old 02/01/2004, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

wait, that one has a different scientific name. I'm not sure what you're looking for then. Sorry
Old 02/01/2004, 04:27 PM
15 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by wwxc
uhh, you must not have looked that hard. Liveaquaria.com has em.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=21&pCatId=135

Thats not the species I'm looking for. Anarrichthys ocellatus is what I'm trying to find. I think it may be protected. http://www.divebums.com/FishID/Pages/wolf_eel.html
331rwhp/348rwtq
Old 02/01/2004, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

ah, that wolf eel. I'd think those would be extremely tough to get. Looks like a coldwater species as well.
Old 02/01/2004, 05:12 PM
15 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by wwxc
ah, that wolf eel. I'd think those would be extremely tough to get. Looks like a coldwater species as well.
Yeah, I'll definitely need a chiller. I'm thinking about going to California when I set the tank up, and fishing for a speciman. I've heard that wolf eels are regularly caught by fisherman (and quite tasty as well).
331rwhp/348rwtq
Old 02/01/2004, 05:13 PM
Reeftastic

First.. try this spelling. " Anarrhichthys ocellatus"
Then, be prepared to find them being sold as seafood in many cases before you actually find a juvenile live one.

Yes they are a coldwater species, when young they reside in the upper portions of the reef, but become a bottom dweller as they age.

Also, they arent actually an eel. The juvenile is the pretty red everyone likes, but they lose that color as they mature.

They grow pretty large, so 500 gallons MIGHT be suitable.
Also, their diet is heavily reliant on crustaceans which makes it a harder species to feed, especially if they refuse to eat anything but live food.

Good Luck In your Search however. There are commercial fisheries that stock them. May want to check the Pacific Northwest fisheries.

Creade
Old 02/01/2004, 05:15 PM
Reeftastic

They are regularly cought by fisherman using trolling nets while they are devastating the reefs.........

Also, fishing for a fish and keeping it as a pet is illegal in most states.

Please purchase one from a farm if you do indeed go forward with your plan.