Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2004, 02:48 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Arrow Man... I'm completely stoked about The Darkness..

Alright.. So it's been a good while since they've played anything decent on the radios these days..

UNTIL now... Have any of you heard of The Darkness? I got their CD.. And I'm in love.. It's like an all out, AC/DC mix with Queen, I can even detect some old classic rock like Zep and GnR. It's just a great band... Finally some nice ROCK on the radios these days.. I hope this band influences other rock bands to come forth and take over this crap we call Alternative Rock and Rap on the radio. Don't take me wrong, I like SOME rap, and some of the stuff on the radios.. But alot of it is just garbage...

How many of you feel the way I do.. Who feels that nothing is better than kicking back to some friggin Classic Rock.. Those were the days.

Here are some links on the band.. I highly reccomend checking them out...

http://www.thedarknessrock.com
http://www.thedarknessrock.com/video/

I mean come on look at these people.. They are totally a rock hard.. ... Rock band!!!!

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/04/2004, 02:53 PM
Reefer

have you seen their video on MTV??? its pretty funny. I think they are pretty good too.
Old 01/04/2004, 06:56 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Their video rocks!!! IT's incredible.. This band is great.

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/05/2004, 12:06 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Re: Man... I'm completely stoked about The Darkness..

Quote:
Originally posted by lebowski
How many of you feel the way I do.. Who feels that nothing is better than kicking back to some friggin Classic Rock.. Those were the days.

Are you even old enough to remember those days

I do miss Van Halen though........and Slayer!!!
Old 01/05/2004, 11:27 AM
sedentaryologist

AC/DC, Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne (the old stuff), Kiss, Def Leopard . . . 5 of the best bands of all time. . . you wont hear any oasis playing in my house.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/05/2004, 05:14 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Oh man, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Def lep, Motley Crue.. shiznit man...

Well.. I'm not old enough to remember " THOSE" days.. Theoretically speaking.. you know?

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/05/2004, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I saw Tommy Lee in his revolving drum kit! That was one of the coolest shows I ever saw. I have seen AC/DC 6 times. Queen had best show ever Brain May Guitar solo was unbelievable! I'll Have to check out The Darkness.

Tony
Old 01/05/2004, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I heard them in my friend's car the other day. I did not like them. I could stand them, but I didn't like them.

In my opinion, they sound just like everything else there is out there right now. The only difference between them and everyone else is that that guy has a REALLY high voice.
Old 01/06/2004, 01:49 AM
With the #1 pick........

I cracked up when I saw their video real late at night a few weeks ago. I bet they were an awesome seventies/eighties cover band before they broke nationwide.
Old 01/06/2004, 09:51 AM
I have no catchy title

I bought that cd and I'll admit I have no idea what the hell to think of it. I just can't get past the singing. I like the music ok.

In my opinion they sound absolutely nothing like anything else that is popular right now. What else could they possibly be compared to?
Old 01/06/2004, 05:56 PM
The Notorious Reefer

This music sounds like NOTHING I have heard on the radio at all..

It's rock.. They don't play ROCK on the radio these days... ( Except the ROCK stations.. But those are oldies ).

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 01/06/2004, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

I group them with everything else out there on the radio that is crap.
Old 01/06/2004, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I haven't gotten around to buying their CD yet but my interest is piqued. I saw their video and hadn't heard of them. I figured it was an old 80's band. I was thinking, "My God, how did they sign some of those bands back in the day? These guys suck!" But as I listened, the guitar playing and the music was great, just that VOICE... Then I saw an article about them in Entertainment Weekly and realized it is a current band. From reading the article, I got the impression that they are kind of a joke but then kind of not... like a tongue in cheek kinda thing. Then I was like, "Oh, they MEANT to sound like that." Now I can't wait to hear their CD.
Old 01/15/2004, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

There is an article in the January issue of STUFF about them. Just thought you might want to know...

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 01/15/2004, 01:29 PM
Moved On

Sorry lebowski - the lead singer sounds like he got the frank and the beans caught in his zipper if you know what I mean. Now give me some old GNR or Metallica and we'll talk
Old 01/15/2004, 02:55 PM
I have no catchy title

OK, that's a pretty good album for about the first four songs. I can't sit through the rest of it.
Old 01/15/2004, 03:25 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

I haven't gotten a chance to really listen to them yet to make a decision. But I did catch a small part of a late night performance on one of the talk shows (I can't remember which one), and the first thing that popped in my head was "This is Spinal Tap".
Old 01/15/2004, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

I finally picked up the CD last Friday and it RULES. I checked the Billboard charts last week and just now, and it is labeled as the "pace setter" on the charts both weeks. Last week it had jumped from #173 to #92 on the charts. This week it jumped to #39. Word is spreading. I was just flipping channels and on mtv2 there was a half hour concert featuring The Darkness for the mtv UK 5th birthday or something. I only caught a few minutes of it but will be searching for a replay of it to be sure. In order to appreciate the band, you have to "get it." They are in sort of a "tongue in cheek" vein ala Spinal Tap. The songs are a bit satirical, e.g. a bouncy, cheerful song about heroin addiction, a song with epic-like lyrics about a one eyed dog, etc. To paraphrase a review I read, your first reaction is revulsion at the shrill falsettos, your next reaction is amusement, then the next is total worship of the band. The musical component is straight 80's hard driving concert rock. The lyrics are genius. If you don't like them, it may be that they are just over your head. The first few listens I enjoyed the songs for what they were, but after reading the lyrics I realized the true genius of the act. Light hearted, guitar driven hard rock.My Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Queensryche, and Ozzy CD's are going into retirement. I am on a crusade to convert everyone I can to the Dark Side!!!