Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2001, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Burned By U.s. Plastics!

ok i ordered a 5 0z. tube of weld-on 16 from their web site used a creditcard to pay total was 5.18 said nothing about s&h. great ! what a deal. then i get this email from them it's an invoive
Your Order Online Purchase Order has been sent to United States Plastic Corp..
Your reference number is 67180703-5526.
If you have any questions, or need additional information,
please contact United States Plastic Corp.
by calling 800-809-4217 or emailing usp@usplastic.com.

Items Requested
----------------------------

Product Number: 44629
Product: Thickened Acrylic Cement, 5 Oz Tube

Unit Price: $5.18
Units per Package: 1
Package Type: Each
Package Price: $5.18
Order Qty.: 1
Total: $5.18

----------------------------
Subtotal: $5.18

Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Total Price: $5.18

so i think great co. might order some acyrlic from them! then this morning i got another invoice in the mail saying the total price is 5.27 for the product and 6.03 for shipping ground service! what the ----? so i called them and they told me flat out that they charge what ups charges by weight and that they don't know shipping charges until they ship it! is their something i'm missing here? so i asked if ups charges 6.03 to ship a 5 0z. tube of cement, she said yes! arrrgggg! it's only a couple of bucks but i feel like i've had a bad EBAY experiance! let me know if this has happened to anyone else!
vulkum

OK PEOPLE I'M OVER IT! i recieved the glue today and 5 oz. will lat me along time not a bad deal even with the 6.oo s&h tag. thanks for everyones input now please erase this post snailman

Last edited by vulkum; 07/17/2001 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07/13/2001, 12:30 PM
Too busy to post

I just ordered a $14 drill bit from them and shipping was $4-5 range. My order taker gave me a "rough" estimate of four bucks to ship, but also said they didn't know for sure until they shipped it. So I wasn't surprised with the supping charges.
Old 07/13/2001, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

I made that mistake one time withordering livestock, lesson learned Joe
Old 07/13/2001, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Not quite sure I understand the problem. It says right on their ordering pages...

"Tax will be added to your order total. Final order amount including shipping will be communicated following receipt of your order."

$6 doesn't seem too out of the ordinary to ship a small box across the country. I'd be mad if they overnighted it without asking and charged $25 or something...but this seems rather expected.

Oh well...
Old 07/13/2001, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

The problem is not US Plastic it is UPS I sell on eBay and I almost never use UPS. Priorty mail from the post office blows UPS's doors off unless it is a very heavy package. The other thing most people don't know UPS charges $1.50 extra to deliver to a residentual address. For something in the few oz range parcel post is dirt cheap. I had to get a minor degree in shipping modes and rates so I did not get taken and nethier did my buyer.
Old 07/13/2001, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

i know all about ups i too used to sell on ebay and used priority mail. my beef is with u.s. plastics i don't even mind paying shipping. but when i order something off of a web page and it tells me this is the cost being billed to my card that should be it "finito". not send me a letter saying this amount was charged+shipping and the item is enroute! thats like ordering a stake dinner for 15.95 and having the cook come out and say "well it was a little harder to cook than we thought so it's gonna cost you an extra 5.00." Bad way to do bussiness i say!
yadda yadda yadda! i could complain all day, but until they can give me a price quote with shipping, i for one won't be ordering anything from them in the future!
vulkum
Old 07/13/2001, 07:57 PM
Nano Reefer

Vulkum you'll find a lot of small business or businesses that don't conduct a majority of their business over the web use a system like US Plastics.

Not every company knows/wants/does spend the money to have a system automated to enter a customers zip code and plop out the exact shipping.

If anything you shouldn't be upset about them tacking on the UPS charge because honestly, wouldn't you expect to pay a shipping charge in the first place? If it was me I would be a bit upset that they don't offer another means of shipping.

Parcel post should be like $2 or less, Priority mail would be like $3.45 or something or other. Only a few bucks but it's still half the price. Send them an email to complain about that, and perhaps if enough people demand it they'll change to USPS for smaller items.
Old 07/13/2001, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

yes i guess i was pleased when i noticed no shipping charge and i should'nt be upset for paying one. i just feel like the system that they use sucks and wanted to vent a little!
I'm over it lets move on!
vulkum
Old 07/14/2001, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

I am a big fan of US Plastic because they have almost anything a DIYer needs and their prices are much better than most other places. That being said you will see every one of my posts that say go to www.usplastic.com say ask for a catalog because their web site stinks. They realized how bad it was and added the express checkout page where you just type your order in from the catalog. I thinlk they the bulk of their business is done over the telephone so the web is "just there" if someone wants to use it. I use it because I do my ordering at night and on weekends. Another one of my favorite places is www.mcmaster.com they have what US Plastic doesn't. They are a huge company and they do the same thing with shipping except you don't know what you paid for shipping until the invoice comes in the mail. You get an email that tells you what you ordered and the price but no shipping. For this reason I usally wait until I need several things and make one big order not a number of little ones and if I am doing a new project this works out fine. I have also done business with www.plumbingsupply.com for those odd or expensive PVC parts I need. They have a fixed shipping charge. They charge a flat price + a % of you total order and the % is different if you are east or west of the Mississippi river. The ship UPS unless your order is under $20 and 2 pounds and then they use Priorty Mail. This is a good system because they understand the difference between a large package and a small one. It also allows you to compute the total cost of the item for comparison.
Old 07/16/2001, 12:10 PM
Reefer

I've had good luck shipping via US postal service. Anything under 5 lbs is a bargain to ship priority mail compared to UPS or Fedex. The package will also make it anywhere in the country hawaii and alaska included in 2 days. (sometimes 3) Another trick is that if you are sending to Alaska send it parcel post. It will usually get there overnight or 2 days anyways and you will save some money!

Chris
Old 07/17/2001, 06:01 PM
Moved On

Ignorance is bliss...
All product purchased need to be shipped and who should pay the shipping especially on a 5.00 order. the seller? I think not.

USPS is better but businesses will not stand on line to ship hundreds of orders usps. UPS picks up.

Use your heads people.
Old 07/18/2001, 12:02 AM
Reefer

If you purchase the machine to properly meter the mail they go for like $300 you can have US mail pick up or you just drop off at the post office and they bill your account. No lines no nothing.

Chris
Old 07/19/2001, 12:46 AM
~Lover of the Sun Corals~

It's not that anyone expects to get free shipping, it's that it's awful to pay more to ship a small item than the item itself cost!

Personally, it ****es me off when ordering from a company that insists on UPS instead of Priority Mail for a small item under a couple of pounds. The cost of shipping should be relative to the size and weight of the item ordered.

Pet Warehouse recently started using Airborne Express to ship stuff, which is even worse than UPS .... at least with UPS you can track your shipment and know exactly when it will arrive...with Airborne Express it's hit or miss...and then they only deliver it to the post office, who then has to deliver it to you. Sucks.

~ Sherri ~