Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2003, 03:32 PM
Too busy to post

Porsche Cayenne question for Porsche owners/enthusiasts

If you had a budget that allowed for a loaded Cayenne or base Cayenne S, which would you choose and why?

TIA!
Old 12/19/2003, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: Porsche Cayenne question for Porsche owners/enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally posted by chipmunk
If you had a budget that allowed for a loaded Cayenne or base Cayenne S, which would you choose and why?

TIA!
A Boxster
Old 12/19/2003, 06:05 PM
Too busy to post

Re: Re: Porsche Cayenne question for Porsche owners/enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally posted by SBSB
A Boxster
Thanks for not answering the question.

If the Boxster were within the realm of possibilities, I would have included it.
Old 12/19/2003, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Porsche Cayenne question for Porsche owners/enthusiasts

Quote:
Thanks for not answering the question.

If the Boxster were within the realm of possibilities, I would have included it.
I was just kidding I really don't like SUV's, but I do like the Porsche sports cars. I have heard some bad things about reliability with Porsche though. My wife had a 944 that was breaking down all the time.
Old 12/19/2003, 06:19 PM
Moved On

it all depends on what kind of person you are. if you are more into gadgets then the loaded one, if you like more performance then the s model. but one thing that is bad. in 5 years it will be worth a 1/3rd of what you paid for it. so your 75k is only 25k now. which is very depressing.

willie
Old 12/19/2003, 06:37 PM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by willieboy240
it all depends on what kind of person you are. if you are more into gadgets then the loaded one, if you like more performance then the s model. but one thing that is bad. in 5 years it will be worth a 1/3rd of what you paid for it. so your 75k is only 25k now. which is very depressing. willie
That's good advice thanks! I don't care about depreciation because in 3 years, I'll lease another car. This car is for business use, so I am permitted the write-offs.
Old 12/19/2003, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I would get the S model. give me the power!!! I have never owned a Porsche. A friend had BMW X-5 with the 4.4 liter V8 It was very nice, but really poor n the snow deespite wwhat BMW claimed , probably would have been better with snow tires.

Tony
Old 12/20/2003, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

It depend on what your using it for. For business I would go after the loaded one, turbo and all. It's Porsche, you have to get the fastest one possible. Also, becareful with the clutch. Porsche clutches are known to go fast.
Old 12/20/2003, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Its a porche, are you willing to risk off road pin stripping incidents?
My dodge wears scratches like a badge of honor. 4X4s mean mud and rocks. Only posuers drive pavement only 4X4s. Buy a miata and an old jeep, have the best of both worlds and a lot left over. Stop trying to show your neighbor that you make more money than him.
Old 12/20/2003, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I hate German cars. All American here.
Old 12/21/2003, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

I dunno much about any of them (im a Nissan guy) but if I had the money I would get one...
I got to drive the President of our Companies Carrera 911 turbo..I think it was a 99 or 00

WOW, thats one night I will never forget! Sweet sweet SWEET ride!
Old 12/21/2003, 08:57 PM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by tdog44632
A friend had BMW X-5 with the 4.4 liter V8 It was very nice, but really poor n the snow deespite wwhat BMW claimed , probably would have been better with snow tires.
I went through an Ashland snow storm with my X5 equipted with snow tires. I drove by a Ford Expedition hanging over the cliff...a tow truck was winching it back onto the road.
Old 12/21/2003, 09:11 PM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by fishgeek27
4X4s mean mud and rocks. Only posuers drive pavement only 4X4s.
Your truck does great offroad and okay onroad. The Cayenne does great onroad and okay offroad. They are 2 completely different vehicles.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishgeek27
Stop trying to show your neighbor that you make more money than him.
My neighbors are wealthy retired folks who are too nice and self-confident to give a rats cornholio how much I make.
Old 12/21/2003, 10:41 PM
Too busy to post

I just did some reading and apparently, they are better than just okay offroad...

"On-road, it's demonstrably better than BMW's X5, and off-road (on suitable tires), the Cayenne is almost in the same class as the latest Range Rover."
Old 12/22/2003, 12:12 AM
Reef Crazy

Either one is just for image anyways.

If it were me, I would buy one American made SUV and one American made sports car. Both of them together would come to the same price as one Porsche Cayenne.

Dan
Old 12/22/2003, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

No question.

Base Cayenne S.

My friend has the S and it packs a punch - blows away the "regular" Cayenne.

If you want the loaded Cayenne (not the S), you may as well just save some $$ get the VW Toureg (sp?)
Old 12/22/2003, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

I'd go with the Turbo Who doesn't need a 450 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque SUV that does 0-62 mph: 5.6 sec and has a top speed of 165mph. Think, you can outrun snow storms (or anything else) in it, hehehe. Porsches are my favorite, besides classic caddys. I used to have a 1980 Porsche 924. It was bottom line Porsche but it was the funnest car that I ever owned. It'd pull G's around corners like an F-16 due to the 50/50 weight distribution (tranny in the rear, engine up front). The little 2.0 liter engine on the 5 speed didn't have much for take off and had a top end of only around 130mph. Sold it to a kid who was doing 90mph in 3rd and hit 2nd instead of 4th, what a dumba$$. Blew the head ($2,000 head). Opps.
Old 12/22/2003, 03:38 PM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by stereomandan
Either one is just for image anyways.

If it were me, I would buy one American made SUV and one American made sports car. Both of them together would come to the same price as one Porsche Cayenne.

Dan
Have you ever seen or sat in a new Porsche?

I've driven a Chevy SUVs and a Vette. I especially enjoyed the thin hard plastic cabin surfaces and the persistant rattles and squeeks. I 24-hour-test-drove a new Hummer H2 and it was already rattling. My 44,000 mile X5 is still has practically no rattles.

Sure, a Porsche is for image. If the definition of image is excellent worksmanship, quality materials, quality control, fit and finish.
Old 12/22/2003, 03:43 PM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron1100us
I'd go with the Turbo Who doesn't need a 450 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque SUV that does 0-62 mph: 5.6 sec and has a top speed of 165mph.
I wish. World's most powerful SUV. The price tag makes it an irresponsible choice right now. If I win tomorrow's lottery of $42million, I'll get the Turbo fully loaded. My wife said she'd get a Ferrari.
Old 12/22/2003, 03:52 PM
intergalatic hitchhiker

heh If I win the lottery, I be ripping that twin turbo motor out of it and shoe-horning it into a Chrysler Crossfire...

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 12/22/2003, 03:53 PM
Super Bowl Champ

chipmunk,

I was a Porsche salesman for 3 years. I attended the Cayenne product launch @ Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. I took both the Turbo and the S on the track at high speed, on the streets and on the 'off-road' course. I put both through their paces, probabbly moreso than 95% of those who own one ever will. Having said that, and to answer your question, I would buy the Cayenne S, hands down. I would get it equipped this way: Xenon lights, Entry and drive, Air suspension(which is now finally available on the S), 18 inch Turbo wheels(same saize as standard S wheels and only $150 more) with all season tires(no cost option and the truck comes with summer tires) and the trailer hitch package. Some like the navagation system as well, which is really cool, but dont know if you like that.

I feel no need for the Turbo, as the S is super fast with 340hp....

Good Luck, its the bset SUV on the planet!
Old 12/22/2003, 03:55 PM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Originally posted by budhaboy
heh If I win the lottery, I be ripping that twin turbo motor out of it and shoe-horning it into a Chrysler Crossfire...
The Cayenne Turbos 4.5litre twin turbo engine is BIGGER than the entire Crossfire.....

Old 12/22/2003, 05:00 PM
Too busy to post

jwm2k3,

Thanks for the detailed advice! The Turbo isn't even within my realm of possibilities right now. Don't they go for $90K to $100K?
Old 12/22/2003, 05:10 PM
Super Bowl Champ

Yes, base on the turbo is $88,900., but by the time you get it optioned the way you want it its mid ninties.

The S is $55,900 base and low to mid sixties the way I want it.

Just lease one.....
Old 12/22/2003, 09:52 PM
Reef Crazy

Quote:
Have you ever seen or sat in a new Porsche?

I've driven a Chevy SUVs and a Vette. I especially enjoyed the thin hard plastic cabin surfaces and the persistant rattles and squeeks. I 24-hour-test-drove a new Hummer H2 and it was already rattling. My 44,000 mile X5 is still has practically no rattles.

Sure, a Porsche is for image. If the definition of image is excellent worksmanship, quality materials, quality control, fit and finish.
I stand by my statement. Even the Cayenne Turbo, though it has decent straight line acceleration(not great by any means), is terrible in the curves. It does have nice brakes though. If it didn't weigh over 2 1/2 tons, literally, it might be able to do something. What was Porsche thinking?

I've also sat in a number of American made SUV's and Porsche's. It's definately not worth he extra $$$ for me to own the Porsche. Just driving one around, people look at you like you're a snob. If that's what you want, then so be it. This is especially true for a Porsche SUV. I mean, why the heck did Porsche make a SUV? Porsche = performance, not grocery getter. Do you honestly think any of the Porsche SUV's are going to see anything near an off-road trail? Didn't think so. It's all image. Sure, they will be comfortable, but since the SUV market is so competitive, almost any SUV you buy is going to be very comfortable.

Porsche Cayenne = striving to get attention. Hummers are the same way. IMO.

Just calling it like I see it. Not trying to bash you or cut down your desire for the Cayenne. This is just my feeling towards the car.

Oh yeah. I'm a mechanical engineer for the automotive industry. I'm biased.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 12/22/2003 at 10:25 PM.