Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2003, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Wink My new 2500G project...maybe larger

Hi guys,
So I'm starting to make plans for my following reef project...I will be building a house for that tank! LOL... but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm building a house for her .
Well the idea comes from a display I saw in The Ocean Center in Maui Hawaii. Where there is a surge pool that drains water via a water fall to a deeper tank with a inside display.
I want to build something similar but this is all interior in diference to the one in the ocean center where the surge pool is outside.
Well the idea is to have the surge pool (48x96x24") in a higher area, where a water fall arengment form the wall that faces the fish room will make surges of water goining into the sure pool, after this the water will drop to a depper tank located about 48" lower, this one with 48"x96"x70" , I guess the acrylic panels will be more that 1" thick or more. Form this last tank the water will overflow to the fish room that will be located besides the tanks arrangemement. All the tank system will be covered by a solarium, and the orientation of the tanks will be calculated in a 3d model for a sun study, to obtain the maximum of solar hours all year round, and the natural light will be suplemented with MH pendants. The estimated volume so far for the systems is about 500 for the first tank (surge pool) 1500 for the second tank (deep reef) and 500g for the sump and other 500g for propagations tanks, totaling about 3000g
Please post your comments, recomendations, or any information that my help me...or even if you think I'm crazy
thanks in advance...and wish me luck!
Hector

Here are the preliminary sketches of the idea...
Floor plan and Lateral Section

Frontal Section

Last edited by kanankeban; 10/23/2003 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10/23/2003, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

I am assuming this will be out side and you live in a warm climate. I think it would be awsome, go for it.

Depending on your average out door temp, maybe try and use the ground (under ground pipes with adjustible water flow) to help control water temp.

If this is out doors, it would be so nice to not have to duplicate the sun (MH/VHO/T5/CF) for your corals and use the real thing?

Good Luck.
Old 10/23/2003, 06:09 PM
Wire Doc

nice

go for it hector and post lots of pictures. when will this madness start.
Old 10/23/2003, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Old 10/23/2003, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEyeReef
I am assuming this will be out side and you live in a warm climate. I think it would be awsome, go for it.

Depending on your average out door temp, maybe try and use the ground (under ground pipes with adjustible water flow) to help control water temp.

If this is out doors, it would be so nice to not have to duplicate the sun (MH/VHO/T5/CF) for your corals and use the real thing?

Good Luck.
It will be like a indoor garden, but with open vents in top in the solarium...the ideas of the underground pipes is an excelent idea I saw this idea with a guy that mounted a coral farm, don't remember his name i think it was here at reefcentral, or reefs.org...don't remember, but he buried lots ot feet of pvc pipe and got excleent results on water temp...
The idea is to use just sun light (the real thing), the mh pendants are for showing off the tank sometimes by night.
And one thing I have lots here...is sun! sun sun sun and more sun...its hell...the thing that got worried me more is the temp, but with underground pipes no problem.
Regards...

Last edited by kanankeban; 10/23/2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10/23/2003, 08:12 PM
Bored Reefer

Cant Wait to See This!)
Old 10/23/2003, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Wowzers! I'm hoppin along for the ride on this one.
Can't wait to see this thing take shape! kanankeban? who would of guessed you were an architect? Great sketches
Old 10/23/2003, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twize
Wowzers! I'm hoppin along for the ride on this one.
Can't wait to see this thing take shape! kanankeban? who would of guessed you were an architect? Great sketches
Sure It will be done, but will take long, couple of years, hope 2 1/2" that's the time frame for my new home, but I will be posting sketches, models, and the engineering involved in the design and construction process, so this post will go for long time...hope reefcentral stays online just kidding.
Yours...I've seen...very nice humongous acrylic tank. So how it's going just a small advice, sure you have already taked into account but nothing to loose to mention it other time....Evaporation water is your worst night mear in a tank that size, takit into account, If you think your HVAC can take care of it, make sure you are adiced by a certified technichan, and not a bad idea to have a backup system or design build into the system to take care of the evap. in your tank...the first thing that pop when I went into your thread was the evap. issue...
Regards...
Hector
Old 10/24/2003, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Thx Hector for the advice. Yep, evap was one of many things that poped into my mind when I took on this project.
Rgrds,
Ted
Old 10/24/2003, 11:20 AM
Moved On

a thought

I had a thought of one thing i may change in your design. If you rasied the water fall wall to make the drop larger you will have better circulation in the deep tank without adding more pumps.
Old 10/24/2003, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: a thought

Quote:
Originally posted by imbuggin
I had a thought of one thing i may change in your design. If you rasied the water fall wall to make the drop larger you will have better circulation in the deep tank without adding more pumps.
Thanks,
I think I colored with blue more that It should be... The in the first drawing the water level looks just the same, but In my mind the way it is, is as you mention, there is a big waterfall in there to make some turbulence...not to much to generate lots of bubbles not to less to not make turbulence at all, I think I should work out a way to manage the level in the second tank, to make something possitive of this fact...the problem is that the overflow will be in this same tank...so I have to establish the level before construction...
Regards...
Hector

Last edited by kanankeban; 10/24/2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10/24/2003, 02:56 PM
Moved On

after

you could always raise the wall after. Or even have a clear piece of plexi glass in the top tank against the "wall" on tracks to you could adjust it. Much like they do in small tanks with built in wet-dry filters. IE U.S. Aquariums does it on thier tanks. You probably would not even be able to see it.
Old 10/25/2003, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Hydrolic Drop

You should design a Hydrolic drop to increase circulation with out adding air from a waterfall.
Old 10/25/2003, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hydrolic Drop

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Sellick
You should design a Hydrolic drop to increase circulation with out adding air from a waterfall.
Hi, Ken
Could you explain furder on the Hydrolic drop, its sound quite interesting

By any chance is there someone around that has design and construction experience in public aquariums? I'm looking for some join details, on how to join a 1" to 2" acrylic panel to a concrete frame....
Regards...
Hector
Old 10/27/2003, 12:11 PM
Registered member

This might just be anal...but the idea of a SW waterfall sounds kind of weird to me. I like the idea of the surge...but in the form of a waterfall just seems to unnatural for me.
Old 10/27/2003, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Hydrolic Drop

A Hydrolic Drop allows you to gain energy "flow" without reaching terminal velocity that introduces air into the water. there are formulas for determining maximum curviture of flow based on velocity of your channel. Look into weir design in hydrolic engineering for formulas. I have some basic ones that work for me. Look at Ogee ramps in particular. I could probably talk you thru it.
Old 10/29/2003, 09:45 PM
Huh???

just taggin along
Old 10/31/2003, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skylsdale
This might just be anal...but the idea of a SW waterfall sounds kind of weird to me. I like the idea of the surge...but in the form of a waterfall just seems to unnatural for me.
no less natural than taking fish out of the ocean and putting them in little glass boxes...
Old 10/31/2003, 03:33 PM
I yam what I yam

BIG Project you got there. The underground cooling system people are talking about was in a thead on reefland by a guy out in Florida. he has pic's and all of how he did it. Don't remember his name but I'm sure if you go to their site you can find him and get some info on it. Good luck.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 10/31/2003, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

his screen name is scubadude
Old 10/31/2003, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Heres a few pics from the Maui aquarium of what I think hes trying to copy... hope this helps with the visualization.

Arlan
Old 10/31/2003, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

2 of 5
Old 10/31/2003, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

3 of 5
Old 10/31/2003, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

4 of 5
Old 10/31/2003, 10:02 PM
Registered Member