Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2003, 05:38 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

Our tank so far (pics)

Well, we had a busy few days...

Here's the tank while we started putting water in it... seemed to take forever through the little RO/DI hose, but it's in.

Once the water was in and my hubby checked all the plumbing, we added salt. We got the salt just about right and poured in the sand:

We even bought a little live sand to add to the top... now we are just waiting for the storm to settle.

During this time, our skimmer made it's first skimmate! How CUTE!!!

Here are a couple more pics of Doug's wonderful electrical job and our new "Costco" timers in use:

Early next week, we are ordering the live rock and hopefully all goes well!

I'm really excited now! I can't wait to see something live moving around in there...

Thanks to everyone here who has helped give me advice to get us this far.

Crystal
Old 10/19/2003, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking setup ..... you're getting there!!!!!

Everything in excess .... moderation is for monks!!!
Old 10/19/2003, 07:38 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Looks great! Just one thing to point out...your metal halide ballast being in your stand may cause you some heat issues down the road.
Old 10/19/2003, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

That is going to be really nice tank. I cant wait to up grade mine
Old 10/19/2003, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

awesome tank!! Can we see a pic with the doors shut!!
Old 10/19/2003, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on your new set-up. You and your husband are doing a great job. Just remember to be patient during the cycling stages. Also, try getting your Live Rock from one of the online merchants sponsored here on RC. I am waiting on my sand order so I can began my new set-up as well. I was looking at the various sponsors and many of them have the Airport-shipping choice. With this, you pay very little to ship your Live Rock to the Airport, where you would then pick it up after calling & confirming it's there. It is just as fast---but way cheaper than sending it Fed-Ex. I hope this helps. Again, congrats!
Old 10/19/2003, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

gj..looks great guys...yes i would reconsider the ballast placement and would also like a pic with doors shut....gl
Old 10/19/2003, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm new and starting my tank (Tuesday is the big day). I see people with 2 tanks like this one what does the second tank do?
Old 10/19/2003, 09:29 PM
Team RC Member

Hiya Crystal,

Looking good!! Have you tested the battery backup yet? How long does it keep your tank going? What all do you have hooked up to it?

Viking16,
The tank below her main tank is her sump where she keeps equipment like her skimmer. She has a drain in her main tank that leads to the smaller, lower tank (or sump). There is a pump in the sump that pumps water back up to the main tank. I'm sure Crystal can tell you more about her setup than I can. If you are unsure at all about anything with your new tank setup you should post exaclty what you are planning to do and get feedback on it. I got a lot of help with my tank setup doing this and got a few money and time saving tips.

Kevin
Old 10/20/2003, 02:42 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

Thanks!

The ballast does get hot in there, but it hasn't caused any problems during our "tests". We are just running VHOs right now (why waste the MH when nothing is in the tank) so it's not an issue at this point. I do have a question about that though... where else would we put it??

We haven't done a test of the battery backup yet, other than before the tank was together. We ran the skimmer pump on it in the bathtub and it ran for a few hours before we turned it off. Right now, the skimmer and return pump are plugged into it.

I am ordering some new heaters (you see the heaters are just stuck in the main tank right now). I didn't realize how tall these are, and don't know how to put them in the sump. Even almost laying down, they don't fit well.

I do plan on ordering live rock from an online vendor. I am ordering tonight to get it on Tuesday, and I'll take a bunch of water out so I don't create as much of a SD storm when I am doing the aquascaping. I have been patient to this point, so I'm sure I'll be able to be patient through the cycle. I'd rather do things right than fast.

The southdown storm has passed and there are little trails on top of the sand where "something" has moved around. I'll go take a pic and post it now...

Thanks again for all the kind words, suggestions and questions.

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 04:48 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

Here is the tank with the doors mostly closed (the heaters prevent it... I have new heaters coming in Tuesday). Our SD storm has blown over and we are ready for the next phase.

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 04:31 PM
Reef Addict

Crystal i told u that sand storm was coming
how long did it last it looks like it cleared up fast?
tank is looking nice
Old 10/20/2003, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Great looking setup. Don't forget to clean the pumps after all the sand has settled.
Old 10/20/2003, 06:22 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Our sandstorm lasted 2 days. Not too bad. I think throwing the live sand we bought on top of the sand bed helped to keep more silt from being stirred up.

I just cleaned all the silt off the glass and the back (what a PITA! That stuff gets everywhere!)

My live rock is coming Wednesday. I am going to siphon out a lot of the water so I can see to aquascape instead of doing it through a sandstorm again.

So I'll clean the pumps. sump, skimmer, and powerheads while I'm doing that tomorrow. Should be fun.

Does that white foam go away once the silt is out of the water, or will I forever be cleaning foam off the sump and tank walls where the water level hits?

Thanks again... I'll post more pics here once I get the rock in the tank. I am actually scared of aquascaping. I hope I can get a stable yet aesthetically pleasing structure built.

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 06:36 PM
Reef Addict

cool where are u getting the rock from?
once u have bacteria groth in tank there will be no more slit it will
just disapear & im sure with the LS u added that will be in no time
here is a sugestion for ur aquascape once u get the LR spread it all out look at all the rock see wich side u like the best & which will hold better on the base & make some caves leave room in the back so there is flow going through & u will see it will all come together
i just put the rock in my tank when i got it & people tell me they like the aquascape i have not even done it yet my rock is just sitting in there i will be doing it this weekend 280 pounds of it
i have a lot to choose from.
dont worry about getting the rock in water right away most of the stuff will live.
Old 10/20/2003, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Cool. You are very positive---and that will make a huge difference!!! Good luck and I am looking forward to learning from your experiences. I am right behind you in setting my Dream World up. Please continue to posts more pictures and comments. Keep it coming!
Old 10/20/2003, 07:04 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

I ordered the rock from LiveAquaria... thinking it would be here Tuesday, but read on their site that "next day" orders from Sun-Mon would arrive on Wednesday.

Steve68, do you have pics of your tank with the un-scaped rock in it?

Thanks for all the advice and comments. It's nice to have other people be excited with you. All our friends and family don't understand the work and small accomplishments that go into this and just want to know "when are you going to have FISH in there?"

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 07:06 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

NM, Steve... I looked in your gallery at your tank. It DOES look nice already. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 07:31 PM
Reef Addict

thanks Crystal
that is where i got my rock from really nice rock to i was verry pleased i order 110 pounds of figi rock from them .
i got lucky & found someone who was moveing out of the country & had to take his tank down i got 100 pounds of figi from him the rest i got fom LFS.
here is a picture of my tank with no rock
my friend came over the other day & his jaw droped he could not believe how nice the tank was & i dont even have anything in there
pictures dont do justice u know the tanks look nice in person.
Old 10/20/2003, 07:32 PM
Reef Addict

here is one a couple of days later.

that is about 40 pounds of rock
Old 10/20/2003, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Very Nice Job CrystalAZ!!
I especially appreciate the clean wire mgmnt down below too.
Awesome work!
Old 10/20/2003, 07:46 PM
Reef Addict

Twize 700 GALLONS oh my god !!!!
that is Sweet .
Old 10/20/2003, 10:13 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

That is one huge tank!!! Can't wait to see that. And can't wait to see yours, Steve after you rework your rocks.

My hubby did the electrical. He is so good at stuff like that!

Well, we had another exciting event tonight (ok, maybe not to anyone else, but it was to us)... we had seen little trails on top of the sand and wondered what they were. Tonight we watched as the little critter dug more trails, then we saw its tail. It's a worm.

YAY! Something is ALIVE in there!

Crystal
Old 10/20/2003, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

looks good..
Old 10/20/2003, 10:24 PM
Reef Addict

cool u know u have to get moon lights right i cant wait to get my aquascape done i have allready made plans since i have been looking at the rock for months its so much better when u have LS to put on top u will have life in no time i had to wait a month before i seed'ed my bed i coulnt get the amonia down but finally it did now ihave all kinds of life in the sand not to mention my refugium it has so many pods i just hope everything goes well like u right i should take my own advice